McCarthy: Abbrederis in the physical rehab portion of concussion protocol

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference Wednesday:

- (On Abbrederis watching practice yesterday) Yeah, he’s getting better. The medical staff feels like he’s taking more steps, but as far as being out on the field and what he’s doing during the course of the rehab, it’s just another example of where he’s at in the protocol.
- (Is he able to work out?): Well, there’s different steps, and that’s one of them. But he’s going through it.
- (On Cobb) I think important for everybody, coaches to stay focuse on what they need to do. That's not to ask or put pressure on anyone to do more. Every player has a distinct role and things we feel they do best and we have to stay the course. We understand the player Jordy is but we're not asking anybody to replace Jordy Nelson.
- (On Rodgers playing) Every decision is made, practice games, is done with risk assessment. Every decision I've made I'm very comfortable with.
- (On offensive line injuries) All injuries do. That's why we wait. We'll practice today. Medical staff will evaluate every one.
- (On whether Rodgers not playing) Depends on practice this week.
- (On evaluating guys) Every practice is graded the same. Yesterday's practice was cut back after long stretch between New England and Pittsburgh. It's all weighted the same.
- (On young receivers) It's about production, consistency. I think every player that's fighting for a spot, it's about special teams. Not a wide open competition.
- (On Montgomery lining up multiple positions) He can play inside and outside. It's important to get him reps out there. It's timing with the quarterback and principles and detail. It's getting him the reps.
- (On LT) We'll see. Dave potentially may go today.
- (On Datone Jones) I wouldn't say it's a major concern. I don't
- (On Tolzien) He's still in the concussion protocol. He needs to play as much as possible, but we got a good look at him.
- (On Hundley and Blanchard playing Sat) It will be a big game for them.

Continue reading...

At this point only thing that matters is getting Abbrederis through the concussion protocol to allow him to be cut without an injury settlement so if they want they can put him on the PS right away. If he does not is he worth having him sit another year on the IR or just parting ways totally with him?

If you want to P.S. him, I'd do it. If you I.R. him you can't let him practice and he loses another year to inactivity other than "rehab", so at that point I'd release him with an injury settlement.

He needs to practice so this could be why they are being so patient with him and he'll most likely end up on the PS in the end instead of IR. No other teams have seen him play so he should go thru waivers unclaimed.

Well I feel bad for Abby. Odds are he's done in GB. Over past months and after Botland retired, been reported that UW might not have been totally honest on the medical end....especially when it came to concussions. Bad for Abby is his injury history at UW. Had a major hurdle just trying to regain some speed after the ACL, but reports came out he might have had more concussions at UW then reported, which would explain why it's taking so long for him to be cleared this time.....

Back