Mark's Best Available Defensive Coordinators list

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
This is in no certain order and is in flux with some openings out there.

1. Shane Bowen, Titans OLB coach

Calls a lot of the D in TN and would be hard to get unless you give him an Asst HC label but he knows ML and that scheme would be workable here.

2. Kris Kocurek, Niners DL coach

He is an up-and-comer and has had a lot of input in SF, surprised Saleh didn't nab him. Has not called a defense but that wouldn't be a big deal in this case.

3. Jerod Mayo, NE ILB Coach

Mayo has been given a lot of credit for some scheme concepts for the Pats, again not an experienced guy in the call sheet but knows the X and O's

4. Jon Heacock DC Iowa State

Heacock is known as one of the most innovative defensive minds in college football over the last few years, creating his versatile 3-3-5 defense that is widely viewed as one of the best anti-Air Raid approaches in the game.

5. Jim Leonhard DC Wisconsin

Leonhard’s Wisconsin defenses have been consistently been among the best units in college football for the last three years. Would he be willing to leave the school he played for a chance to lead an NFL defense?

6. Kris Richard, Former DC Seahawks

Took last year off after 3 years as Dallas DB Coach, prior to that was Hawks DC his defenses ranked 3rd, 5th and 11 in Seattle.

I'll add more in the next few days....

I think Leonhard would leave the Badgers to coach for the Packers. That would be the only change he'd entertain right now. Just a guess on my part.

I like the Jerod Mayo choice. He's been coaching a modified 3-4, and could bring a lot of different looks to the table. He's a good coach, hidden in a system that thrives on good coaches. Tough to move up.

If you brought in Heacock it might mean drafting 2 DL because you would need more depth for that group.
No to bringing back Snacks though.
And I still think you move on from Lowry. He’s a JAG

I said before in Shout Bown could be a guy to look at young and with link to ML might bring in fresh ideas.

Kocurek and Mayo seem to be in line with a ML type hire, if they want the job. I guess that remains to be seen.

The bone chilling thought did occur to me that Jerry Gray is on staff and he has DC experience...

Back