Looking Ahead: Need List

heck its never to early to look ahead at the draft. I did a mock last month and will do one each month til next offseason. Its ok to learn about up coming prospects.

saying that its easy to sit and say positions but you have to look at the value too. TT isn't going to reach for a guy. IMO this year we need to get an athletic freak early. I feel we lack the super athletes. We have a good roster with good players but its hard to say we have game changers at the WR/TE/RB spots on O.

This is a RB loaded drafted. 5 backs could go early. Freeman and Perine would be 2 guys that could fit nice with us. Both are bigger guys but are quicker then Lacy.

I too think we need to find that WR that is a physical threat. Nelson is getting older and isn't the same guy as 2 years ago. Cobb is a nice piece to compliment a #1. Not going to go into Adams!! And for the life of me why do we carry so many WRs if we don't give them chances to shine. Abby had a few snaps and Monty had none against Minny. Why??
My fav WR in this draft is Mike Williams. Hes coming back from a neck injury this year but he has the tools but be the man in any Offense. Big and long with good speed. I think he goes in the top 20 though

Nice group of TEs this year.

On D I could see us going in any direction other then ILBer. I do think we have found our futures there. Our run D is number 1 right now. the need of this thumper type is the NFL 15 years ago. That player a dying breed. I like what our 3 guys bring.... really like what Thomas brings.

Pass rushers is always a need and with pep on this way out and perry and Jones FAs next year maybe adding to the group is smart. Right now we have a D that is carrying us and can play with anyone. Why take a step back??

At this point it seems we need a lot..

QB, WR, RB, TE, OLB, DL...... I'd also ad HC and VP as well....

Once again would seem more needs then picks can fill in top rounds after recent developments.

We need to quit making 'needs' lists. I think that's why we are where we're at right now. We need talent irregardless of position and fill needs with- wait for it--Free Agency. I know, we have TT so that won't happen, but that is what we need. You really need to weigh the best combinations for each year of the draft. Looking at our weaknesses and the drafts strengths- I'd like to see a scenario like this:
1st round (probably 20-24)- WR M. Williams Clemson
DE/OLB T. Williams Alabama
2nd round TE Jake Butt Michigan
3rd round RB W. Gallman Clemson
RB A. Kamara Tennessee

I know it's early, but these guys are fun to watch. It's hard to tell where they'll end up on the 'Big Boards'.

Well, need lists are OK in the sense that it points out what fans think are the team weak spots. Also, lets face it, like it or not, need does drive certain draft picks, and it should. It just shouldn't be the be-all-end-all. You certainly need to look at BPA regardless of position if guys fall to you.

We're at the midpoint in the season. Time to revise my thoughts, but not much has changed.

QB - take one if he's there, but I'd prefer to wait another year, at least, especially if we get a new coach. I'd like to see if a new coach can get AR back to form.
RB - definitely! Lacy may be allowed to walk unless he takes a near minimum contract and Starks should be cut. I'd love to see a true 3rd down type back. TT/MM don't seem to favor that approach, but maybe they won't be here.
FB - nope.
WR - yes, just one. Early in the draft or FA (with a new GM). A guy who can be a true #1. Jordy's days are numbered and there isn't another #1 guy on this team.
TE - Pretty sure Cook is a 1yr deal. MM didn't do much to feature Cook when he had him which leaves me wondering why I'd draft one high. I'd keep bringing in mid-round guys, preferably ones who can actually block someone.
OL - take a guard somewhere in Rds 3-5. No pure OTs needed this year unless a stud falls, which they never seem to do.
DL - always take one if you have the chance, preferably in the first 4 rounds.
ILB - don't know where we stand yet. Martinez looks OK, Ryan looks a little better than last year, as does Thomas. No world beaters here but I don't know that they are the difference right now. I'd add a speed guy if available.
OLB - Peppers will be gone. I mostly like what they are getting from Perry. Don't know what we have with Fackerel just yet. I don't see it as a priority, but you don't turn down pass rush talent, so I wouldn't pass if one fell.
CB - yup, got to add another guy in the draft or FA. I suspect Shields is all but done. Randall and Rollins are both OK young corners, but not the kind who can take on the other team's star. Gunther's lack of speed shows up at times and he's best suited to dime and special teams duty with some use as the nickel guy when there is an injury. He is IMO not starter material.
S - I'm OK with the talent we have there. It's still a pretty young group. Keep Hyde as a swing guy and add a starting quality CB and the defensive backfield will be OK for one more year.

So again, in summary, I add OG, WR, RB, DL, CB for sure and add a TE, ILB and OLB if the opportunity is there. And yes, with a new GM, maybe a FA or two would fill some need holes and allow more BPA type drafting.

That has been my one consistent complaint with TT. The old adage is that you use FA for need and draft BPA. If you are a professed draftnik like TT and want to remain true to your board, then remove some of the need part of the equation by going out and getting a couple of FAs to plug holes so you take a few more fliers in the draft on pure talent regardless of need.

Agree with both of you..Dubz and 57. My personal approach is to take best player regardless of need and use free agency to fill holes. Exception being rarely does a pass rusher, #1 We, or shut down corner become Vailable unless injuries or over the hill so draft is best chance for then

Back