Las Vegas says Green Bay Packers are odds-on favorite to win Super Bowl 50

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
http://www.endzonescore.com/las-veg...e-odds-on-favorite-to-win-super-bowl-50/19780

Las Vegas says Green Bay Packers are odds-on favorite to win Super Bowl 50

Ray Dahlke
July 2, 2015

According to the folks in Vegas, the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks were the two favorites to win Super Bowl 50 after last season’s Super Bowl ended. After Tom Brady’s suspension and all the turmoil surrounding the deflation of footballs during the AFC Championship game, the Patriots’ odds took a hit. It’s unclear what propelled the Green Bay Packers to the top of the odds board but they have now passed the Seattle Seahawks and sit as the 6/1 favorites to bring the Vince Lombardi Trophy back home next February.

Following the Green Bay Packers are the Seattle Seahawks (13/2), Indianapolis Colts (8/1), New England Patriots (9/1), and the Dallas Cowboys (10/1). There aren’t many real surprises among the top five though I think some would question the Colts being ranked third heading into next season but these odds are of course subject to change before and during training camp as more news and injuries come up.

The Green Bay Packers looked to be the most dangerous team in football late last season after beating the New England Patriots at Lambeau Field in late November but they stumbled a bit down the stretch and a week 15 loss to the Buffalo Bills took them out of the driver’s seat for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers suffering a hamstring injury that would limit him the rest of the season the very next week against the Tampa Buccaneers certainly didn’t help whatever momentum they had built up prior to the Buffalo game.

Going into the 2015 season, the Packers have built an offense that could set records and is at least the best and most well-balanced offense in the league on paper. Depth at offensive line and running back is thin however and the depth chart at wide receiver after Davante Adams is unproven. With those limitations, injuries could throw a wrench into their plans in a hurry but with Aaron Rodgers the offense will likely never fall to the “average” level unless there are some serious blows being dealt to the Green Bay starters.

The defense made noticeable strides last season, particularly against the pass. Rookie HaHa Clinton-Dix looks like he could develop into a Pro Bowl caliber safety and the pass rush was better than it had been in a few years with veterans Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews anchoring the outside and Mike Daniels creating push up the middle. Getting B.J. Raji back from injury and teamed with Letroy Guion should hopefully create some stiffness against the run which is an area they were atrocious. Raji looked to be back to his old self during training camp last year when he was switched back to his more natural position at nose tackle before he was lost for the season due to a torn biceps.

The defense still has some holes to fill and questions to be answered. Losing Tramon Williams and Davon House will hurt but it’s far from a death nail for the Packers secondary. Rookies Damarious Randall and Quinton Rollins will play big roles and if they can have a similar impact as Clinton-Dix did last year the secondary should still be more than competent. If the defense can even be average, the Green Bay Packers offense can take the rest from there and could very well make the folks in Las Vegas look smart come next February.

Let me know the odds when it is the end of January 2016.

I don't know what changed in Seattle to cause them to give us better odds. The Wilson negotiations? Their O line?

Nastrodamas is quatrain 66 states the cheese at the head wins it all in Febuary. So I would add that to the overwhelming evidance of the Pack grabbing the Lombardi

I for one will watch the games anyway

I don't know what changed in Seattle to cause them to give us better odds. The Wilson negotiations? Their O line?

Money bet moves the lines. I am sure some books have Seattle.

Back