Jaylon Smith Injury: LB is expected to sit out 2016 - what is he worth in the NFL Draft?

I have not heard how his follow-up medical went. I suspect some team will take him early if they feel good about a recovery. It possible he won't ever be the same, but if so, he's great value. Hell, track records suggests that half the guys you draft in Rd 1 will never be "the same" once they get to the NFL, injury or not.

If the Packer medical staff believe he'll be healthy in a year, I'd be OK with taking him as early as Rd 1, but I'm not the team doctor. If there are serious questions about his recovery then of course you hold off until much later.

Feel bad for the guy... I would be ok with a 3rd or a 4th. We need help at LB now as well as in the future.

It's a very sad situation, but no way would I use anything higher than a 4th unless I was pretty confident that he could return to pre-injury form or at least very close to it. If he only ever gets back to 90%, then he won't be special and if he only gets to 80% then he wouldn't even make the roster.

The nerve damage really concerns me.That's a big unknown.

Bones and ligaments can tell the damage and most can come back, though there are players like Derrik Sherrod who's injury was so severe was never able to regain his form and is out of the league. That's just one example....remember Justin Harrell or LBer D'Offrio?

For a team that relies almost entirely on the draft and Rodgers in his prime, also a bunch of free agents next year, these picks become even more important and don't think the team can afford to take a gamble on Smith. Never know if he will ever regain his form and speed.

So figuring all of this in don't think would spend a pick on him unless maybe and that's a big maybe, a 6th or 7th.

If Smith his still sitting there in the 3rd round I think we could take a chance on him. We have a lot of picks and if Smith can return to anywhere to what he was he would be the steal of the draft. Not often does a player who was once considered a top 5 overall pick available past the first round.

Back