It's getting very crowded at CB

TW

Reaction score
Now the Packers are talking about bringing in a guy for a try out who is essentially a WR but they see him as a CB. That's interesting since we have the following players already online to play that position. The new guy's name is Jonah Trinnaman.

Already on the roster - Tramon Williams, Davon House, Kevin King, Quentin Rollins, Josh Hawkins, Lenzy Pipkens, and Donatello Brown. Then, add in our two top draft picks this year, Jaire Alexander, and Josh Jackson.

Under normal circumstances, I'd say it's great for competition, but in this case, it's almost like they're praying to find a couple of guys who can play the position effectively, and some back ups, and 3rd man in some applications.

At the same time, I don't see nearly this kind of competition for spots on the defensive line, and quite honestly, I think that should be a very high priority. No matter who you put at CB, they're going to be facing a lot of problems if we don't make major changes and get a push on the QB.

I don't think this is a commentary on the state of the DBs. Trinnaman is off the charts with measureables that never translated to the WR position. He's an unsigned FA who was recently released by Arizona (IIRC). This wouldn't even be news if it wasn't an incredibly dead time before OTAs. He is nothing but PS bait.

I'm kind of stoked over the competition along the defensive line. It might be the most talented postition on the team. Daniels, Wilkerson and Clark with M Adams, Lowry coming back healthy. Add the two rookies- Looney and UDFA Lancaster, I think there might be a chance that we keep all 7 under Pettine's scheme. Lowry was nicked up most of last year and Adams was basically a red shirt season. Looney's measurables were impressive (I think he might be more effective if he loses a couple pounds though) and Lancaster is my favorite UDFA this year. He reminds me of John Jurkovic.

I agree, TW. We will most likely struggle with our pass rush and I do not see our CB's getting acclimated until later in the season. This D will struggle again this year. I think they are so worried about the CB position they are grasping at straws at this point. But...also it could just be a camp body. :)

I agree with both of you in most ways. But, I think the tell is on the d-line, where we have 7 guys competing, and could keep all seven. That puzzles me. I say this because I know that the class of CBs we have is going to be pared down to numbers that are consistent with the positions available. Yet, there isn't much room to choose alternatives on the d-line. Kind of like we are at punter now. We got the guy, now we gotta live with it.

I believe there's some good potential on our d-line, but let's face it. Wilkerson is more than likely going to be our best player out there most of the time, on that line. I like "potential" as much as anyone else, but I'm still waiting for some of these guys to show they really do have what it takes. Can the CBs hold up until they prove it? Gonna be tough, like indicated.

I think Mark said something that has to be in everyone's minds. Are these guys we have for CB capable of playing a press defense? At this point, there is nothing that tells us they can. We'll see, as time rolls on.

Nothing wrong with trying to find another Sam Shields.

Now's the time of year to find out who can & who can't play.

I've got no problem bringing in another "freakish athlete" to give him a shot. Small investment/low risk.

I did find it curious that one of the DL - UDFA's has been listed on the retired/reserve list?
Kid says he wants to take a break from football? (Huh?) sh))
Filipo Mokofisi retires

I agree with both of you in most ways. But, I think the tell is on the d-line, where we have 7 guys competing, and could keep all seven. That puzzles me. I say this because I know that the class of CBs we have is going to be pared down to numbers that are consistent with the positions available. Yet, there isn't much room to choose alternatives on the d-line. Kind of like we are at punter now. We got the guy, now we gotta live with it.

I believe there's some good potential on our d-line, but let's face it. Wilkerson is more than likely going to be our best player out there most of the time, on that line. I like "potential" as much as anyone else, but I'm still waiting for some of these guys to show they really do have what it takes. Can the CBs hold up until they prove it? Gonna be tough, like indicated.

I think Mark said something that has to be in everyone's minds. Are these guys we have for CB capable of playing a press defense? At this point, there is nothing that tells us they can. We'll see, as time rolls on.

Not sure who you are referring to here from last years squad, TW?
Surely not Daniels. Pro bowl caliber player.
Clark? He took a big jump forward last year. He should be on the cusp of dominant this year. I wouldn't list him as "still waiting"
Lowry? Again, a mid-round pick who made a big jump last year, in year 2. Plus, he played a good chunk of the year on only 1.5 legs. Not worried about him either.
Adams? Yeah, maybe............but I look at last year as a red shirt year. To me, he's a red shirt rookie this year. But we should soon get a better idea of what he's got.

Not sure who you are referring to here from last years squad, TW?
Surely not Daniels. Pro bowl caliber player.
Clark? He took a big jump forward last year. He should be on the cusp of dominant this year. I wouldn't list him as "still waiting"
Lowry? Again, a mid-round pick who made a big jump last year, in year 2. Plus, he played a good chunk of the year on only 1.5 legs. Not worried about him either.
Adams? Yeah, maybe............but I look at last year as a red shirt year. To me, he's a red shirt rookie this year. But we should soon get a better idea of what he's got.

No argument on anything you said. My problem is I'm pragmatic. I don't buy into any hype, and based on last year's production from those among that group that played, I wasn't all that impressed. Daniels was the only one that I felt any level of confidence in on the field.

For the last few years we've continued to hear how much each of these guys improved from year to year, yet, where were we when it came to a pass rush? Nada! I know.... injuries. Then you need guys who aren't injured, and you need the depth to play past injuries. We simply folded, year after year, like a cheap suit.

I'm not convinced this group of d-linemen is more than one decent player and a bunch of accidents waiting to happen. We seem to have too many of those, and are constantly hearing ... "Wait til next year! We'll be healthy!" It just never happens.

Back