Is there really such a thing as QB battle in 2016 Badgers spring camp?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
487743874-150x150.jpg

The seemingly annual tradition of a spring “quarterback battle” was once again all the talk as the 2016 version of the Wisconsin Badgers. With starter Joel Stave gone and very little in-game experience on the roster, a battle for the QB1 position was inevitable.

However, we all should’ve known better because when was the last time a true quarterback battle? For the last four years we’ve all been told there would be a massive QB battle, only to see just one man emerge as the answer to the question — Joel Stave.

One needs to look back to 2011 for the last time a true QB battle lasted all spring long, and ironically it was the year we saw a future 4-year starter emerge in some guy named Stave. In a crowded field during spring ball, it was the walk-on freshman that emerged as the only noteworthy quarterback in the 2011 Badgers spring game.

As other QB’s put in lackluster days, Stave at least showed promise and an ability to go vertical when needed.

We all know what happened that season though, as UW got the ultimate in graduate transfers — Russell Wilson — to commit his final collegiate season to the Badgers. It all ended in a Big Ten championship and a Rose Bowl appearance. For Stave, it meant a redshirt year and a chance to grow physically and mentally.

However, this is 2016 and there is no Russell Wilson coming to save the Badgers over the summer. Instead, this spring is about finding the answer here and now.

Spring ball is in early days, with the Badgers putting on the pads for the first time on Tuesday morning. But it already appears as if there is an answer to the quarterback question.

That answer is Bart Houston is looking more and more the part of the starter — and it has very little to do with his own play.

His only scholarship competition, redshirt freshman Alex Hornibrook, went a combined 8-of-20 passing during team and 7-on-7 drills in UW’s first padded practice on Tuesday. Hornibrook threw a pair of pick-sixes and had another one picked off by safety Leo Musso and a dropped one from sophomore Arrington Farrar.

One bad day doesn’t break a spring, but the problem is reports from spring camp indicate this is more the norm than the

The biggest issue for Hornibrook appears to be in his ability to handle pressure from defenses. While that’s good news for new defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, it isn’t a good sign for a young quarterback looking to make his mark on an open QB battle that is literally 1-on-1.

For his part, Houston was much more accurate. He completed 12-of-17 passes in the team portions of the practice and had just one interception in all of practice.

Sound like 2011 to anyone else? There is plenty of time between now and Sept. 3 against LSU at Lambeau Field, but hearing things like “starter by default” and “if we had to pick between two bad performances” isn’t exactly a good sign.

Let’s see if Hornibrook is just hitting a blip on the radar or if Houston can command the offense to a level that it doesn’t matter what the redshirt freshman is doing, he simply is doing the things needed to be a starter at UW.

With a brutal 2016 schedule on hand, UW can’t afford to have a “starter by default” under center. It needs one they can be confident in based on performance and not just words spoken in press conferences.

Let’s all hope the first day of padded practice isn’t a harbinger of things to come or it could be a long 2016 ahead for the Badgers offense.

The post Is there really such a thing as QB battle in 2016 Badgers spring camp? appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

I suspected Houston would start all along. He played fairly well against Illinois last year, but even in that game had a pick or two that should have been avoided. He'll get better with more reps, but he's not gonna be a Wilson. He'll be good enough to beat the teams we should beat and not good enough to beat the teams that are better - a 6-6, 7-5 season seems about right.

Hornibrook's struggles are not unexpected, which is why I have been hoping/calling for another QB, a JUCO or preferably a transfer. There was lots of talk about Hornibrook taking over, but way too early. He's a rs-freshman and getting used to the speed of the game and making quicker reads is a big part of the adjustment. We heard last year how well he was throwing in practice, but typically that is just "drills", not live.

He's still got time, so I'm not overly concerned but I doubt he'll improve enough over spring to challenge for the starting spot. Let's see what he looks like in the Spring Game. Scott Tolzien had similar growing pains and wasn't ready to start until he was a junior. Hopefully Hornibrook is ready a year earlier.

The bigger concern now . . . what if Houston gets injured!! It's Hornibrook and a couple of unheralded walk-ons. Lack of depth at QB could become a huge problem. Losing Gillens kinds hurts right now.

IHouston is what he is. 5 th year guy. A program guy. I'm not one for throwing a year away but going younger may not be the worst option.

One padded practice in and the writer is crowning Houston the starter? If the ceiling is higher on Hornibrook, I'm all for giving him a shot.

Hornibrook may have the higher ceiling, but in the two practices since this article was written he hasn't looked any better.

Game is still too fast for him, and his arm strength just isn't sufficient to overcome his other mistakes. Maybe by fall that changes, but Houston is the starter for now.

I'm super pumped about the linebacking corps. My guy Ty has been tearing it up in the weight room and in practice, but the unit is so deep he may not see the field.

If Chryst and his staff can both recruit and develop some receiving talent, i'm confident that he'll manage to get a productive passing game most years.

For as run heavy as the offense was under Alvarez, he somehow pretty consistently was able to recruit quality receiving talent. Same for Bert until right before he left and he also recruited tight ends like Beckum and Kendricks.

It's odd and frustrating that as the offense has opened up more, the team has struggled to continue landing the type of receivers as when the offense was mostly just run run run.
The last few years, the only quality wide receiver options were Abbrederis and then after he graduated it was Erickson, both of whom were former walk-ons.

Give Chryst a receiver like DeRamus, Chambers, Simmons, Brandon Williams, Toon, etc to team with a solid second option and with how well he always uses the tight ends, the passing game will put up numbers, especially if the running game gets back to how it's usually been.

If Chryst and his staff can both recruit and develop some receiving talent, i'm confident that he'll manage to get a productive passing game most years.

For as run heavy as the offense was under Alvarez, he somehow pretty consistently was able to recruit quality receiving talent. Same for Bert until right before he left and he also recruited tight ends like Beckum and Kendricks.

It's odd and frustrating that as the offense has opened up more, the team has struggled to continue landing the type of receivers as when the offense was mostly just run run run.
The last few years, the only quality wide receiver options were Abbrederis and then after he graduated it was Erickson, both of whom were former walk-ons.

Give Chryst a receiver like DeRamus, Chambers, Simmons, Brandon Williams, Toon, etc to team with a solid second option and with how well he always uses the tight ends, the passing game will put up numbers, especially if the running game gets back to how it's usually been.

Except that Beckum was recruited as a LB and Kendricks as a WR.

Except that Beckum was recruited as a LB and Kendricks as a WR.
True but it's the quality of the athlete overall that changed under GA... and under BB the last yr. Those 3 recruiting yrs really hurt us. I think the point is valid if you can go get a deep threat to take the top off the defense and a second average to slightly above than it opens this offense up big time.tc(

True but it's the quality of the athlete overall that changed under GA... and under BB the last yr. Those 3 recruiting yrs really hurt us. I think the point is valid if you can go get a deep threat to take the top off the defense and a second average to slightly above than it opens this offense up big time.tc(
Don't disagree. But even under BB the quality at wr was average at best. Probably the best recruit was Orr

Back