IS COACH MIKE OVERRATED?

Mueller

The Gunslinger From Greenbush
Reaction score
These guys seem to think so:
Most of it has to do with his offensive scheme of relying on receivers getting open by winning one on one battles. Enjoy, cry, whatever:
FIVE MOST OVERRATED HEAD COACHES

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/05/five-overrated-nfl-head-coaches-2017/2/

Perhaps no head coach in all of sports — let alone football — embodies the flaws in judging a head coach by wins quite like Mike McCarthy. The Packers have been successful under his tenure, making the playoffs in all but two seasons and winning Super Bowl XLV. But their level of success doesn’t measure up to their talent, especially in recent years. Much of that is directly due to Mike McCarthy.

McCarthy’s offensive system is fatally flawed because it isn’t designed to help the quarterback, it’s designed to force the quarterback to make plays. With Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre being the only two starting quarterbacks McCarthy’s ever coached, he’s gotten away with it. However this has not happened without doing serious damage to Green Bay’s title hopes on a yearly basis.

McCarthy, for the most part, refuses to scheme receivers open or use route combinations that play off each other. Instead, he tends to isolate receivers and force them to get open in 1-on-1 situations, putting Rodgers in a position where he has to extend plays and do things out of the pocket. Again, Rodgers is very good at this, and Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Martellus Bennett are all more capable of getting open in 1-on-1 situations than most.
But Green Bay’s offense still stalls with too much regularity.

Over the first nine weeks of last season, the Packers were 15th in passing offense efficiency, per Football Outsiders’ premium database. In 2015, the Packers were 27th in passing offense efficiency over the last eight weeks of the season. Both years, Rodgers was able to bail everyone out and get the Packers to the playoffs. But that’s not something he does because of McCarthy, it’s something he does in spite of McCarthy.

Discuss !

McCarthy is more than overrated. He is a average at best coach and should of been gone awhile ago. If he didn't have 2 top, hof QBs.....he would have half the wins he does. He refuses to put players in spots to succeed and wont budge off his schemes, idea, personnel packages, etc.....

That list has me scratching my head. Who thinks chuck pagano, Marvin Lewis, and Ben macadoo are great coaches? I've never heard anyone say that MM is a great coach to be perfectly honest. However, I don't disagree with anything that was written.

i don't think there's going to be much argument from anyone here. i've heard media hacks praise him as an offensive genius, but all you need to do is look at his tenure as offensive coordinator with the 49ers right before he came to green bay as a head coach, where he had the 27th ranked offense in the league. cra)

I think he is overrated with the Xs and Os, but underrated with running a professional program. That make sense?
I think one of his biggest faults is his loyalty fixation. He doesn't make changes until it's too late, like a year or two too late.
The reason he can't compare to Billacheat is because MM coaches his 'system' and BB uses his players to the best of their abilities. IMO.

I think one of his biggest faults is his loyalty fixation. He doesn't make changes until it's too late, like a year or two too late.
The reason he can't compare to Billacheat is because MM coaches his 'system' and BB uses his players to the best of their abilities. IMO.

"billacheat" isn't the norm, he is the best. How can you compare any coaches in the league to him at this point??

Mac isn't great but he isn't the worst either. I agree he needs to do more to get wrs open but our O hasn't been our downfall, its been a d that has let us down time after time after time. Rodgers and the O may have struggled at times but dang they still put up points.

If you want to knock MM fault him for sticking with a DC that cant keep us in games

Unfortunately, the winning record shown by the Packers, under McCarthy, is nothing more than a facade created by a talent like Rodgers. His play, utilizing skills that I've never seen before from on QB, has been the difference between the Packers being a 6-10 team at best, to a team that consistently makes the playoffs. Like the writer says, they lack no imagination on offense, and it's killing them in crunch time.

As far as defense, McCarthy is so clueless that he allows Capers to squander talent. They aren't just porous, they are horrible, and no matter how much talent you give him to work with, this defense is never going to work, because the way he's designed his schemes are no longer effective because of the size of today's WRs, and more mobile QBs. No matter how much the Packers score, our defense is capable of surrendering more.

I think MM did a great job last year with what he had. Offensively he made adjustments throughout the season that paid dividends. I think he was very creative at times and did things we hadn't seen before. Then defensively the Packers were a very solid run defense and were doing fine in the passing game until the injuries piled up. There isn't a coach on the planet that could have done better with the defensive personnel that were available for many of the games. Losing your number 1 CB for most of the season hurt but losing the next 3 for multiple games made it an impossible task. Even when they came back they weren't 100%. As far as Capers goes, I don't think scheme was the problem with the secondary as much as it was technique by the young DBs. If there was a knock on MM for last year and even going into this year it would be his choices for assistants. I truly expected the secondary coach to be fired and was disappointed when he wasn't.

Back