Importance of preseason games to Aaron Rodgers

eyecatcher

Reaction score
The last couple days there has been a lot of angst over Aaron Rodgers not getting enough time with his receivers in preseason games. The concern has been that he will be out of sync. I really think that is not the case. In 2018 Rodgers played in one series in the pre-season and was 2-4 for 50 yds and a TD. In his first 3 starts on the regular season he was 77-116 for 832 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs. In 2017 he played maybe a 1.5 quarters over 2 games in preseason, He was 9-14 for 59 yards and a TD. His first 3 regular season games of 2017 he 89-132 for 967 yards, 6 TDs and 3 INTs. Those regular season numbers don't look like an out of sync QB. He is getting plenty of reps in practice and isn't risking injury. I suspect Rodgers will play a quarter this week but don't really think it will be a problem if he doesn't. What am I missing?

The only wrinkle I can point to is that in 2017/2018 he was still playing in the same offensive system that he learned when he was drafted in 2005.

This year, Rodgers AND his WR's, and everybody else on offense are playing in a new (and still learning it) offensive system.

Maybe Rodgers IS that good that he will knock it out of the park right out the gate!

Until then, I will have my doubts that not playing in preseason is the correct course. hof(

It's not like in years prior. There should be a lot less emphasis on being on the same page with WR this year, because the 20 second scramble drill is not going to be part of this offense. No one needs to read anyone's mind. 2nd year players aren't going to have to look at every red zone throw Aaron made to Jordy in the past 10 years and try to do the same thing.

There have only been flashes of this so far but those middle of the field routes are open. Starting OL gave Kizer some damn nice pockets last night against a strong front 7. There are definite signs that the passing scheme will work for us, it's really about the OL getting it together with the run game, and getting our #1 and #2 RBs back.

Back