if i was the gm . . .

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
the problem with mock drafts is that you have to make assumptions about who will actually be available when each pick is made.

i have an idea for a "contest" that might be fun. the basis for this contest is my interactions with a poster from another forum a few years ago who claimed that he he made much better draft picks than ted thompson but he could not prove it because the forum where he posted his picks (at the time of the draft) had been wiped off the face of the internet (something we are all familiar with). since we are reasonably certain that this forum will be able to archive posts for a few years, this might actually work.

i'd like to do a real-time mock draft. each "contestant" (there isn't really any prize) will select the players that they would pick from the players still available at the same time that green bay is on the clock. at the end, we should have several different versions of what the packers draft could have been. since the thread would be archived, we could revisit the results after one year, two years, and/or three years and see how our picks stand up against the actual picks that ted thompson made.

since very few people have the time to actually sit here throughout the entire draft and make their picks, the rules would be that you have 24 hours after the final draft pick is made to submit the picks that you would have made if you were the gm.

anybody else interested?

Sounds interesting to me. I'm dying to find out who will be available when we pick on Thursday night.

okay, so here are the picks that I would have made if I had been calling the shots. check back with me in a couple years and call me an idiot if ted's draft turns out better than mine.

1.) stephone anthony
2) pj williams
3) tj clemmings
4) tray walker
5) michael bennett
6) hayes pullard
6) tre mcbride
6) ben koyak

I'm assuming that we're not supposed to know the future round picks and just go by who has been taken up to that point, right?

1) Malcom Brown - thought he was the best value. Otherwise, I'm flipping a coin between Rowe and Kendricks
2) Jaleen Strong - I can't believe he lasted to pick #70. Also very tempted by Rollins and Eli Harold here.
3) T.J. Clemmings - Pick for the future, great value.
4) Marcus Hardison - I would be thinking I could Tray Walker later.
5) Taiwan Jones - Very surprised that he went undrafted.
6) Darryl Roberts - Desperate for a CB now.
6) Dezmin Lewis - Like him a little better than Tre McBride
6) Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - smaller than GB takes, but seems like great value here.

I really don't like how I ended up at DB - which according to Ted's draft is clearly our biggest need. But our DL and WR positions look great!

I'm assuming that we're not supposed to know the future round picks and just go by who has been taken up to that point, right?

yeah, that's the idea. i tried to stick with guys that i was screaming at my computer for ted to pick during the draft. i had a tough time making the call between pullard and taiwan jones in the sixth. if you were hanging around the shout box during the draft, you saw me list four guys that i wanted to take right before our first pick in the sixth. jones, pullard, koyak and mcbride. in the first round i was having a difficult time deciding between anthony and jalen collins. i figured maybe the failed drug tests would keep collins on the board long enough to get him at the bottom of the second, but i was wrong.

1) Malcolm Brown
2) Tevin Coleman
3) Paul Dawson
4) MyCole Pruitt
5) Michael Bennett
6)Ifo Ekpre-Olomu--breaking height rules...I'd just say: He's tall enough. I'm the football guy.
6) Darryl Roberts
6)La'el Collins
7) Connor Halliday

Back