I wonder how well this is going to play out with the people who've paid for those expensive seats

TW

Reaction score
After I read this article, and realized what the NFL was looking at for an added revenue stream, I had no choice but laugh. This is not going to sit well with people whose history has been to support the Packers.

I can understand the reasoning from a "money is king" perspective by the league, and to insure revenue streams, but the optics of it is just plain out there in a world where there's going to be some extremely upset people.

If it wasn't for my Brother's problem over this, I'd be laughing. The NFL is going to turn this into a freaking disaster by the time they're done, from optics alone. You know that the networks will back their shots up to include that advertising zone during the game. It's going to be like watching the game from a 3" screen, with advertising all around it.

Advertising replaces seats

Also interesting NFL has said we don't care with states that won't allow fans into the stadium. So some teams will be able to have fans and some won't. Teams and fans have complained that this means some teams will have a home field advantage over teams with no fans.

"The sections will be those nearest to the field level — which are typically the priciest available — but are now rendered higher risk to players because of COVID-19 concerns. "
I understand spreading out fans so they're not in every seat - but fans in the stands are not providing any prolonged exposure to the players. They're not close enough, and even in domed stadiums I don't think there's a lot of risk in transmission from the stands down to the sidelines. They would have to charge advertisers A LOT of money to replace the lost seat revenues.

Just an educated guess, each sign / logo whatever you want to call it will be in the $200,000 range for the season on average some markets higher.

“There are restrictions designed to protect league sponsors. Team naming rights sponsors, local sponsors that don’t conflict with league sponsors, and local sponsors who also have national deals -- such as Bud Light -- will have the easiest time complying with the rules.”

So it’s not going to be an easy sell either. That word “conflict” is going to have some broad clarifications. And yeah protect league sponsors...ok. The language on those deals will be also interesting. Having dealt with the NFL they are not easy to work with.

As to ticket holders it’s a very delicate issue. Not an easy solution

Just an educated guess, each sign / logo whatever you want to call it will be in the $200,000 range for the season on average some markets higher.

“There are restrictions designed to protect league sponsors. Team naming rights sponsors, local sponsors that don’t conflict with league sponsors, and local sponsors who also have national deals -- such as Bud Light -- will have the easiest time complying with the rules.”

So it’s not going to be an easy sell either. That word “conflict” is going to have some broad clarifications. And yeah protect league sponsors...ok. The language on those deals will be also interesting. Having dealt with the NFL they are not easy to work with.

As to ticket holders it’s a very delicate issue. Not an easy solution
The other part here that I think has been alluded to: is the NFL taking a cut of the sponsorship $'s? If yes, it would appear the NFL is more looking out more for their revenues than the individual teams.

The other part here that I think has been alluded to: is the NFL taking a cut of the sponsorship $'s? If yes, it would appear the NFL is more looking out more for their revenues than the individual teams.
The way I read the article is this will be sold by clubs not the league so no cut, now will it be included in football related revenue for cap purposes not sure. This was to replace losses in local revenue

The way I read the article is this will be sold by clubs not the league so no cut, now will it be included in football related revenue for cap purposes not sure. This was to replace losses in local revenue

That's what I read too. They'll generate their own income. I'd guess the Cowboys would be about 4 or 5 times more expensive than Green Bay. I just don't know. This could be a rubbing point for some teams with lower income potential from the advertising. A team like the Cowboys might actually make money off of it. The Packers? Could end up losing money.

The next issue is what happens with the suites that people spend so much on? How is that going to shake out, price wise, and how many people can they have in the suite when they play? Lots of battles going to be waged here I'd guess.

This is the strangest off season I think I've ever seen.

That's what I read too. They'll generate their own income. I'd guess the Cowboys would be about 4 or 5 times more expensive than Green Bay. I just don't know. This could be a rubbing point for some teams with lower income potential from the advertising. A team like the Cowboys might actually make money off of it. The Packers? Could end up losing money.

The next issue is what happens with the suites that people spend so much on? How is that going to shake out, price wise, and how many people can they have in the suite when they play? Lots of battles going to be waged here I'd guess.

This is the strangest off season I think I've ever seen.
I doubt any club makes money on it. Will Dallas make more? Sure always have.
Suites I don’t think will be as much of an issue. Most are corporate and some may welcome the fact they don’t have to have that expense this year for obvious reasons. Other issues if you have a suite ? Doubtful any catering, how many people are allowed. If you have a 20 seat suite only 5 get in ? And they are not connected so all should be available. All depends on language in agreements

I should have said that the Cowboys would recoup more of what they lost on those seats than the Packers. It won't be profitable for anyone, I'd guess. Maybe Jacksonville? LOL

You brought up good points on the suites. It's a conundrum. They're going to need a complaint hot line, and someone with the patience of Mother Teresa to handle the calls.

I should have said that the Cowboys would recoup more of what they lost on those seats than the Packers. It won't be profitable for anyone, I'd guess. Maybe Jacksonville? LOL

You brought up good points on the suites. It's a conundrum. They're going to need a complaint hot line, and someone with the patience of Mother Teresa to handle the calls.
Since suites are multi year contractually I am sure concession on cost will be negotiated. Club seats are much more problematic since they typically also have multi year obligations but more in 3-5 year range, and it’s almost impossible to social distance. Issue Dallas has is on field suits are now off limits also so a much bigger hit than blocking seats. I am sure some class action suit will be filed but that’s DOA based on ticket language.

Back