Hurrumph. The NFL shouldn’t mess with the extra point

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
When it comes to changes in my favorite sports, I’m an old fuddy duddy. I don’t want change. I want things to stay as they are, exactly what I’m used to.

I was one of those people who didn’t want the wild card introduced in baseball. I also scoffed at the notion of interleague play and instant replay in baseball. Turns out, I’ve actually grown to love all three of those things. I may be an old fuddy duddy who’s reluctant to embrace change, but if something ends up working, I can at least admit when I’m wrong.

In football, I’m still sour about all the rule changes that have turned the NFL into a hyper-passing league. I miss the days when there were just as many superstar running backs and middle linebackers as star quarterbacks and defenses didn’t have to play with one arm tied behind their back.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love football. I’ve accepted the fact that even mediocre quarterbacks can throw for 4,000 yards these days. But unlike the changes made to baseball, I haven’t acknowledged that they’ve made the game better. Because they haven’t.

Hurrumph.

Now the NFL wants to mess with the extra point. What did the extra point ever do to you, NFL? Leave it alone!

SI’s Peter King points out that NFL teams have only missed 26 of their last 4,939 PAT kicks. Some say that makes the PAT predictable. That may be true, but predictability isn’t a reason to overhaul an area of the game.

On those 26 occasions when a PAT kick was missed, it’s cool to see (as long as it’s not the Packers doing the missing). It’s a rare and memorable play. I can’t find the clip online, but I remember having a Vikings game on the radio for some reason about 10 years ago and Paul Allen went bonkers after Minnesota’s kicker missed an extra point.

It was hilarious! Those moments would be gone if the NFL changes the rule.

The odds are good that the PAT does get changed during league meetings later today. I’ll cross my arms, shake my head, sigh, and complain about how the NFL was “so much better back in the day.”

Then I’ll hike up my pants and complain about the government.

We’ll see if I come around to PAT changes in football like I’ve come around to the changes made in baseball over the years. For now, I’m digging in my heels and hoping PATs stay just as they have been.

Now get off my lawn.

——————

Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .
——————

Continue reading...

NFL extra point rule just changed: The ball will now be snapped from the 15 yard line

Pure BS IMHO, Why not move the goal posts..widen the field and bring in 4-5 CFL teams !? LEAVE THE GAME ALONE !!

Looks like it passed.. So now do we trust Crosby to hit every PAT now? Makes me nervous...

Looks like it passed.. So now do we trust Crosby to hit every PAT now? Makes me nervous...

I think in November and December when it's cold and the winds are stronger you will see teams go for two more in Lambeau.

listening to a former ST coach on radio today. He said he talked to NFL about ideas on PAT when asked by league. He suggested that they narrow the goal posts by 3 feet and also make the kick from more of a angle to make it harder to make the PAT.

Though I do like now that if you go for 2 and have a TO the D can score on it.

Last edited:
NFL extra point rule just changed: The ball will now be snapped from the 15 yard line

Pure BS IMHO, Why not move the goal posts..widen the field and bring in 4-5 CFL teams !? LEAVE THE GAME ALONE !!

Have been upset ever since they decided to let them throw it. :)

Just because a play becomes more dramatic doesn't mean it represents good football. This opens up the play to all kinds of shenanigans, most of which will just be the result of sloppiness rather than skill or scheme.

Back