How the hell does Capers still have a job?

He hides behind the injury excuse.

And that's valid, but even with a full crew, his Ds always have a "breakdown" or "miscommunication" when it matters. Like in the playoffs v Arizona.

I don't see how he keeps getting passes on bad coaching. McCarthy, loyal to a fault. He should have fired him years ago. I think McCarthy fears ending up with a DC who doesn't coach the 3-4, and we end up in a mess, changing to the 4-3, and massive changes in the front seven.

He hides behind the injury excuse.

And that's valid, but even with a full crew, his Ds always have a "breakdown" or "miscommunication" when it matters. Like in the playoffs v Arizona.
to be honest i've never actually seen him use the injury excuse, although there are plenty of people who have used it for him.

I don't see how he keeps getting passes on bad coaching. McCarthy, loyal to a fault. He should have fired him years ago. I think McCarthy fears ending up with a DC who doesn't coach the 3-4, and we end up in a mess, changing to the 4-3, and massive changes in the front seven.

Totally agreed. I've said for years that what I think keeps Capers around more than anything else is the fact that he runs the 3-4 and MM seems 100 percent committed to it. However, I'd argue, we've been historically bad so even a bad switch back to the 4-3 really can't be much worse than what we've seen IMO.

I know we are all frustrated because of the state of the defense but how often do NFL coaches get canned after their team plays in the conference championship game? The only time a coach on a winning team is fired is when they have issues with their GM and/or owner like Jim Harbaugh did. I truly believe the main culprit for our mess on D should be laid at the feet of Mr. Thompson. Draft and develop isn't a bad strategy but shunning every avenue to improve your roster is concerning.
I really think it is more Packers winning despite of the defense. If the offense and especially AR doesn't have a great game the game could get ugly. How many times has the defense carried the offense to a win?

Back