How much The Varsity Collective paid to Wisconsin athletes in its 1st year

The top 10 contributors to the collective working with Badgers athletes combined for 73% of all gifts in the 2022-23 fiscal year.

Continue reading...
That's sad. It show that the small fish aren't showing up to show their support like they should. At the same level of giving, they should be in the 30-35% range from what people are telling me about various programs that they have knowledge about.

So, as fans, remember that everyone can donate to the collective, and you get what you pay for just like pro sports.

Anyone want to summarize the article since it's behind a paywall?

Without reading it, Bucky fans aren't paying enough
They were only able to pay out about $1.7 mill across the board to athletes. We have to remember, this is the grass roots collective. If 73% was from 10 donors, we're talking about them giving $1,241,000. Everyone else contributed about $459,000. Reality is, if the support was coming like it should, that $1,241,000 should have only been about 1/3 of the total collected, so it should have been at least $3,600,000 to $4,000,000 in money available to them.

To put it bluntly, if you want to be highly competitive, you're going to have to give up a night out every year, or a couple of 12 packs of beer, and donate the money to the collective. That would raise the amount collected to easily $10 mill to $15 mill a year. Then you get to start looking at getting bigger fish to add to the mix, and you talk being part of the 12 team playoff in football, and the rest of your programs being potential national champions as well.

Like I've always said. There ain't no free lunch. Someone pays for it. In college sports, we're going to pay for the lack of support given to the program. I doubt it will be too long before Fickell and any other decent coaches we have decide that if they can't recruit kids because of money, the frustration will send them out looking for greener pastures.

Does UW even have any big rich donors they can turn to? Don't think they have any Phil Knight on the alumni roll.

It's not entirely about people with money. It's about do the people with money care about Wisconsin Sports. A lot of Wisconsin people put their extra money towards other things.

I understand that college sports has turned into a money game. I think it's going to relegate Wisconsin to second tier. I can live with that

i got five bucks just burning a hole in my pocket. . .
Imagine 1million people throwing in $5 each, to go along with what they normally get, and the big buck individual deal with Nike, etc? That $1.7 becomes $6.7, and chances are it would balloon out from there to over $10 mill. In reality, as Wisconsin fans, don't expect anything more than we're willing to pay for.

I think I'm going to send in a few bucks myself, not that my paltry amount will matter, but if there's a lot of us.... big difference.

If you have it available, one way to support the collective is to drink Potosi Varsity Golden Ale. Distribution is limited at this time to the Appleton/Fox Valley area, Madison/Southwest Wiconsin area, Dubuque/Northeast Iowa. and Northwestern Illinois. (Hopefully they'll add more distributors over time.) Potosi is contributing 20% of sales to the UW Varsity Collective.

Potosi Varsity Golden Ale

Back