How did you become a Packer Fan?

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Why not it's slow... tell us !

My story :

Born and raised in East Central WI almost impossible not to be ( almost see Raptors post) Really remember my dad and brother watching around 1973 ( best as I recall). Hadl, Dickey, Whitehurst, Wright into Majic man and Favre. Worked at lambeau after HS with JJ security for a couple falls.. part time job.( have a few stories to tell about that for another time)

Growing up Sundays after church with a box of old dutch chips... dip and pepsi in glass bottles watching pre game on WBAY followed by the Pack on CBS...you're looking live at Lambeau field. Yup Green and Yellow blood here.

WatertownPackerFan

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
My mother was from Wisconsin, so I always paid attention to the Packers as did my dad, but not until moving here 12 years ago did I become a full-time fan. I'm originally from New Jersey, my wife is from South Dakota (HeartyHops). Being a Packers fan is soooo much better than being an Eagles fan - here it feels like a family.

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
I was born in 1989, Pack won SB XXXI in 1st grade. It was a big deal for all the adults. My dad and his younger brother were big Lynn Dickey fans. My dad's older brothers could sorta remember the Glory Years (uncle Rupert definitely could).

My uncles were very boisterous during football games on TV.

GBkrzygrl

Grew up in Louisiana and always watched college ball. In my family if you didn't watch football you didn't eat. :p

My husband and I moved to Wisconsin in 1979 and I had heard of the Packers growing up and decided to give the NFL a shot. Really enjoyed the game and got hooked when "Majic" was QB although I do remember watching some of the Lynn Dickey games.

I 've even been lucky enough to attend TC practices 2 or 3 times. It was great fun.

Pugger

I am originally from Green Bay. I graduated from the Academy (those of you who are old enough will remember that high school). Dad started taking me to games in the early 70s so I endured those difficult seasons. My hubby and I still have season tickets. My sister uses them now. Even tho we retired to FL we still come back to Titletown every summer and rent a student apartment at UWGB. As a matter of fact we'll be heading back north Saturday morning. pc)

Cheesedog

I grew up a football fan so I knew the Packers. But I grew up in New England as (and still are) a Pats fan. Wasn't until I started dating this weird WI girl who I eventually married that I started really paying attention. Especially after the Pack beat the Patriots in the SB. That was brutal having to listen to her gloat ;) .. So part of it was self preservation, the other part was you just have to respect an organization like the Packers. There's something different about them and every other team out there... So here I am and now you're stuck with me :D

Terranimal

Wow do I feel old reading this. Ok here it goes the short form lol

Mom, Dad and I are all from Chicago. But moved to north of Berlin on what considered a big dairy farm back then. Remember a lil of the last SB eon with Lombardi. My Grandfather on dad's side took me to pre season games and were great seats around the 50 and not up very high. Mom's side were jerk Bear fans to put it mildly. The choice was easy though took crap from late 60's on.

There was a time as a kid though when had Ray's and Bart's jersey and Payton's.

GBP4EVER

Brought to Packer game in 1991 by my aunt against the MN Vikings think it was Lindy Infante's last game as Packers coach. Packers were horrible that year but end up winning that game. My parents had zero interest and still do in football so aunt took me. I feel in love right then and there with the Packers and have been a fan every since.

TW

My connection with the Packers goes way back. In 1920, my Dad played football for a team called the Menominee Professionals. They played against the Packers twice that year. During the first game, in October, my Dad had his leg broken on a play, and would never be able to play again. But he was there, short weeks later, on the sideline when the Packers and Professionals locked up in another game.

The following year, my Dad would climb on a motorcycle and take the ride from Menominee, MI down to Green Bay for all their games at home. Since he'd met so many of the players on the Packers, he would stand on the sideline with the team during the game, and knew them all very well. When the weather got cold, he'd be out there with his hip flask, for a "nip" to stay warm. Eventually a lot of the players asked him if they could have a nip, so he obliged. What started as a hip flask ended up being several very large hip flasks to accommodate those who needed a nip.

It's been in my blood since the day I was born over 78 years ago. When I was 6 years old, I was listening to the games on the radio. At 9, I went to my first game, and met several players. My family, and I, are shareholders, and charter members of the Packer Hall of Fame, as sponsors who helped build it from scratch, on day one of it's existence.

I have had the honor, thanks to a dear friend of being able to sit with the greatest football players and coaches of all time, in Green Bay, at dinner, and share with them, diagramming, and laying out plays on napkins, and scraps of paper. I've had drinks with some of the greatest Packer players of all time, and actually had to take one Packer HOFer home with the help of a friend of mine, after he'd had too much to drink one evening when we were at a bar. Have you ever tried lifting a person who weighs 250# and is over 6-3? We never said a word to anyone, because the guy was, and still is a friend.

I could tell you a lot of personal stories, but the reality is, no matter where I've been, I was never even tempted to be anything other than a Packer fan.

GBP4EVER

My connection with the Packers goes way back. In 1920, my Dad played football for a team called the Menominee Professionals. They played against the Packers twice that year. During the first game, in October, my Dad had his leg broken on a play, and would never be able to play again. But he was there, short weeks later, on the sideline when the Packers and Professionals locked up in another game.

The following year, my Dad would climb on a motorcycle and take the ride from Menominee, MI down to Green Bay for all their games at home. Since he'd met so many of the players on the Packers, he would stand on the sideline with the team during the game, and knew them all very well. When the weather got cold, he'd be out there with his hip flask, for a "nip" to stay warm. Eventually a lot of the players asked him if they could have a nip, so he obliged. What started as a hip flask ended up being several very large hip flasks to accommodate those who needed a nip.

It's been in my blood since the day I was born over 78 years ago. When I was 6 years old, I was listening to the games on the radio. At 9, I went to my first game, and met several players. My family, and I, are shareholders, and charter members of the Packer Hall of Fame, as sponsors who helped build it from scratch, on day one of it's existence.

I have had the honor, thanks to a dear friend of being able to sit with the greatest football players and coaches of all time, in Green Bay, at dinner, and share with them, diagramming, and laying out plays on napkins, and scraps of paper. I've had drinks with some of the greatest Packer players of all time, and actually had to take one Packer HOFer home with the help of a friend of mine, after he'd had too much to drink one evening when we were at a bar. Have you ever tried lifting a person who weighs 250# and is over 6-3? We never said a word to anyone, because the guy was, and still is a friend.

I could tell you a lot of personal stories, but the reality is, no matter where I've been, I was never even tempted to be anything other than a Packer fan.
At first until I read 250 6-3 I was going to guess Paul Hornung as he loved the bars. LOL But great story you have there TW.