Holmgren Or McCarthy ??

Packersunion

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Founder
Reaction score
Saw a debate elsewhere on which is the better coach and has done more for GB ?

Anybody at all have thoughts on this one ? ( Slow time so why not sh)) )

Saw a debate elsewhere on which is the better coach and has done more for GB ?

Anybody at all have thoughts on this one ? ( Slow time so why not sh)) )

Ahh I saw said debate and because I am lazy going to copy my reply to it.

Having been around way before both HC this argument isn't close. Mike McCarthy got a franchise that was already turned around with a solid base and management and a HOF QB and then the team gave him another.

Mike Holmgren had to start that building process. His first staff had Jon Gruden, Dick Jauron, Andy Reid and
Steve Mariucci who all went on to be HC. He reinstilled the winning way in GB such as had not been seen in 20 years.

So frankly you can love on Mike McCarthy and I do think he deserves praise and accolades but without Mike Holmgren building that foundation there is no Mike McCarthy and things are not the same in packerland.

tc(

I let's see which coach blew the second SB. Which coach blew town with the front office and coaching staff in tow. Which coach destroyed the dynasty that could have been. God and some Packer fans forgive, 66_Ray does not. The walrus doesn't deserve to carry MMs lunch box to work for him

I like McCarthy just fine, but what Holmgren accomplished is just more important, no matter how many Super Bowls Mac might win going forward (if any). Holmgren (and Wolf) changed the culture, as noted above. They were the architects of the 30+ year run of success we are on right now. Mac has been an adequate care-taker of that legacy.

Holmgren as Mark said rebuilt the Packers. I doubt MM is even here without that base in place. Of course Ron Wolf helped out but without Wolf and Holmgren. TT and MM never ever get to where they are without the others.

Holmgren is a much better coach.....not even close

Why do you believe Holmgren so much better than McCarthy?

In 7 years in GB Holmgren had a 75-34 record and one SB with a .670 winning percentage.

In 10 years in GB McCarthy has a 94-49 record and one SB with a .656 winning percentage.

I like McCarthy just fine, but what Holmgren accomplished is just more important, no matter how many Super Bowls Mac might win going forward (if any). Holmgren (and Wolf) changed the culture, as noted above. They were the architects of the 30+ year run of success we are on right now. Mac has been an adequate care-taker of that legacy.

I do agree Holmgren and Wolf were the architects of our resurgence I think you and Packfan35 might be selling McCarthy short. In today's parity driven league it is harder to keep a run like this going this long than it was before the salary cap era.

Back