Here’s Why Packers Didn’t Make Big Strike at Inside Linebacker

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usatsi_10472287.jpg

The top inside linebackers signed huge free-agent contracts, but the reasoning goes beyond dollars and cents.

Continue reading...

As it stands, Kirksey, Oren Burks, Ty Summers and Curtis Bolton are the only inside linebackers on the roster. Kirksey missed 23 of 32 games the past two seasons due to injuries. Burks’ career has suffered significant setbacks with injuries in both of his training camps. Summers, a seventh-round pick last year, had a strong rookie year on special teams but didn’t play on defense. Bolton, an undrafted rookie who had shown some promise during training camp, missed the season with a torn ACL.

I like all these guys, except Burks, but I like Burks' skill set.

Let's see what Bolton and Summers can do. Don't forget they're not including the hybrid guys like Raven Green.

Any rookie is gonna have a one year learning curve anyway.

I like all these guys, except Burks, but I like Burks' skill set.

Let's see what Bolton and Summers can do. Don't forget they're not including the hybrid guys like Raven Green.

Any rookie is gonna have a one year learning curve anyway.
Summers looks like poor mans Martinez slow and does not tackle as well.

I don't think Summers makes the team last year if they did not have that rash of injuries in TC. I think he will again be a bubble guy.

but getting back to the article . . . i think we could have and should have signed kwiatkoski (only half a million more than we are paying kirksey) or klein (half a million less than kirksey). forget the guaranteed money. if you keep a player for the entire term of their contract, all that matters is how much total you paid divided by the number of years. guarantees only matter if you give up on a player before the contract is up. the biggest risk is when you pay 6.5 million for a guy who is always injured.

but getting back to the article . . . i think we could have and should have signed kwiatkoski (only half a million more than we are paying kirksey) or klein (half a million less than kirksey). forget the guaranteed money. if you keep a player for the entire term of their contract, all that matters is how much total you paid divided by the number of years. guarantees only matter if you give up on a player before the contract is up. the biggest risk is when you pay 6.5 million for a guy who is always injured.

I think they valued the "get out" options of a Kirksey deal. Lots of money tied to games, ability to get out after a year. They are more hard up against the cap than I appreciated the next two years and the new CBA dinged them pretty good. Not arguing for or against that way of thinking.

Back