Greg Jennings Says He Screwed Up

Go Pack 85

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Founder
Reaction score
http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Greg-Jennings-Calls-His-Exit-from-Green-Bay-Unprofessional-37883337

Good read :

Greg Jenningscontinued his theme of remorse toward the Green Bay Packers organization this offseason in recent comments published atESPN.comon Monday.

Echoing the same sentiments he expressed during an interview withSports Illustrated back in March, Jennings reflected upon his exit from Green Bay during free agency in 2013.

Upon signing with the division rival Minnesota Vikings, Jennings refused to callAaron Rodgersby name in interviews with the media, instead calling him "12" or "the guy they have now." He also suggested the Packers "brainwashed" their players that the culture they created was the only correct way to do things in the NFL.

For that, Jennings has apologized.

"The way I exited Green Bay was very unprofessional," Jennings is quoted as saying. "But I don't feel any of that here. I felt more of a disrespect from Green Bay, honestly. It was more dealing with myself -- it was, 'Man, I really wanted to stay in Green Bay.' I really wanted to stay here [in Minnesota], but I've grown so much in my faith, to where I recognize where God is moving and making change.

"It just was really something I was dealing with, myself. I had to recognize that I had a level of pride to where I felt like, 'Wow, I went through all of this.' It was almost a sense of entitlement, like, 'Wow, I dedicated my entire career, and [there's] no fight, no want? It's almost like you disowned your child. But that's what I was feeling -- and again, selfishly. Bottom line, I was hurt, because I did want to stay. But I wasn't willingly embracing change at that moment. It's unfortunate, but I've been very apologetic to them personally. I don't have a lot of things where I wish it wouldn't have happened. I definitely wish I would have handled that better."

No need for Greg to apologize. He was a great Packer for many years and his precision, smarts and production in some ways still haven't been replaced. Tremendous in the super bowl too.

No need for Greg to apologize. He was a great Packer for many years and his precision, smarts and production in some ways still haven't been replaced. Tremendous in the super bowl too.

I would politely disagree. Maybe it's because I live up here, but he could NOT shut up about it. You probably didn't get to see all the crap talk he was spouting at the time, but the rubes up here could not get enough of it. His departure from GB was preceded by his family (mainly his sister) heading to twitterverse to trash ARod. GB actually offered him more money initially than he signed for in duckland. He had a great career in GB then he lost his mind.
That purple jersey makes old Green n Gold guys insane. Brett had trouble shutting up also. Can't wait for Bostick to tell us all how it really is!br)

i still feel like we dodged a bullet when jennings turned down that $11 million / year offer.

I would politely disagree. Maybe it's because I live up here, but he could NOT shut up about it. You probably didn't get to see all the crap talk he was spouting at the time, but the rubes up here could not get enough of it. His departure from GB was preceded by his family (mainly his sister) heading to twitterverse to trash ARod. GB actually offered him more money initially than he signed for in duckland. He had a great career in GB then he lost his mind.
That purple jersey makes old Green n Gold guys insane. Brett had trouble shutting up also. Can't wait for Bostick to tell us all how it really is!br)

That's fair, I mean I do remember a lot of the big stuff that was said and his sister going off was just.... let's just say, unhelpful. I guess I see it from the perspective of a guy whose pride was hurt and he could see himself being replaced, so I understand him being PO'd. Going public with the anger and turning that into derision was just wrong, especially when as a WR he's largely dependent on the QB throwing the ball to him.

As far as the money, I take all that with a grain of salt. We don't know what was offered, how much was guaranteed etc. Just like the supposed $8m for Raji. It got thrown out there but I have a very hard time believing if GB really offered him more money than MN he wouldn't have just stayed put.

Jennings is just trying to mend fences in hopes of getting back into the Packers good graces so after he retires he will be put into the Packer HOF.

... but I have a very hard time believing if GB really offered him more money than MN he wouldn't have just stayed put.

you're ignoring the timing of the offers. both offers were not on the table at the same time. there was basically an entire season in between the two.

you're ignoring the timing of the offers. both offers were not on the table at the same time. there was basically an entire season in between the two.
Though at the time it was said the Packers did have a offer of about 1 million a year less then Minnesota on the table. We will never know if the guaranteed money was close or not but if it was then you have to think Jennings left due to hurt feelings or out of spite since the Packers were clearly a better team.

Not ignoring, just unaware :) I thought the $11m offer was on the table during his FA.

Back