Greg Gard has depth to work with

TW

Reaction score
I've watched all three early games the Badgers have played so far, and even though they have an all seniors starting lineup, there's some pretty darned good kids out there in the freshman and sophomore class. Some of them have already started to show what they've got.

Tyler Wahl, a sophomore, has proven he's probably better than Aleem Ford already. He had a double-double against UWGB last night. 12 points, 15 rebounds, and 3 of them offensive rebounds.

Freshmen Jonathan Davis, Ben Carlson, and Steven Crowl's defense. All looking good. As Bryan Butch said during the game last night, this team has more depth than anyone could imagine, and they're going to get even better over the next few weeks.

I'm hoping that Nate Reuvers can start finding the boards. His defense is great, and the fact that he and Potter have learned to use their skills to complement each other's game, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I have high hopes for this team, but let's face it. This year is a crap shoot because of covid. Anything can happen. Teams need to prepare to go very deep into their rosters to stay on the floor. The Badgers may have that strength as much as anyone else.

I've watched all three early games the Badgers have played so far, and even though they have an all seniors starting lineup, there's some pretty darned good kids out there in the freshman and sophomore class. Some of them have already started to show what they've got.

Tyler Wahl, a sophomore, has proven he's probably better than Aleem Ford already. He had a double-double against UWGB last night. 12 points, 15 rebounds, and 3 of them offensive rebounds.

Freshmen Jonathan Davis, Ben Carlson, and Steven Crowl's defense. All looking good. As Bryan Butch said during the game last night, this team has more depth than anyone could imagine, and they're going to get even better over the next few weeks.

I'm hoping that Nate Reuvers can start finding the boards. His defense is great, and the fact that he and Potter have learned to use their skills to complement each other's game, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I have high hopes for this team, but let's face it. This year is a crap shoot because of covid. Anything can happen. Teams need to prepare to go very deep into their rosters to stay on the floor. The Badgers may have that strength as much as anyone else.
I’m going agree on everything except Ford / Wahl. Wahl has had one good game, 1st two, while is defense was good it did show his limitations on offense. Ford is arguably the best perimeter shooter on the floor and is quick enough to get low and score also.

Carlson and Davis are the real deal, especially Carlson. His IQ on the floor is unlike a freshman and I like how aggressive he is. Now the 1st 3 have been vs some weak competition so let’s see how he reacts in conference play. Davis is just smooth on the court. Maybe even not the best guy to create his own shot

This conference is deep. Iowa and Illinois are FF type teams, MSU looked very good vs Duke. Rutgers is a legit top 25 team is does OSU. To your point how Covid will impact things is a big unknown. This team should make a deep run this year

Great news. Although I was surprised by the high early ranking, Pack sorted it out for me.

Excited to see how they do against Marquette on Friday and better competition when B1G starts.

Fire Gard? Ha Ha. Looks like he not only coaches but can recruit Bucky players

Wahl's defensive skills are what's impressed me in this early going. He's learned to throw the arms straight up, and force shots over the top. He's got a long wing spread, so that makes it difficult for shooters. Also, watching him go above the rim for a two-handed rebound, then see him use it a few other times where guys were swatting at the ball, but he held it tight, was impressive. He's learned a lot since the first time I saw him last year. He's going to be important to them this year.

I like Ford and his game. The problem is, we don't see enough of it unless they leave him wide open. He doesn't seem to be too much into creativity on his own. He has the job now, but I'd bet before the year is over, Wahl is going to be biting into his time more than people might think. The difference is that Wahl goes hard to the boards for rebounds, and it helps offset the fact that Ruevers just plain hasn't done that job well enough. Wahl makes up for that off the wing.

Wahl's defensive skills are what's impressed me in this early going. He's learned to throw the arms straight up, and force shots over the top. He's got a long wing spread, so that makes it difficult for shooters. Also, watching him go above the rim for a two-handed rebound, then see him use it a few other times where guys were swatting at the ball, but he held it tight, was impressive. He's learned a lot since the first time I saw him last year. He's going to be important to them this year.

I like Ford and his game. The problem is, we don't see enough of it unless they leave him wide open. He doesn't seem to be too much into creativity on his own. He has the job now, but I'd bet before the year is over, Wahl is going to be biting into his time more than people might think. The difference is that Wahl goes hard to the boards for rebounds, and it helps offset the fact that Ruevers just plain hasn't done that job well enough. Wahl makes up for that off the wing.
The light bulb went on for Ford the last 3-4 weeks last year. He got to understand that he can play low, be aggressive and be productive. I agree Wahl is a better rebounder, defense Wahl is better down low but Ford is a better perimeter defender. Wahl reminds me a bit of a young Davison. A guy who will irritate other players and fans for 4 years, Has a bit of Krabbehoff in him too. How much his offensive game improves will be fun to watch. Oh, I don’t think Carlson will see his Senior year, he’s that good

I hope Carlson does the whole 4. I don't want to see him go to the NBA early, and end up not being able to develop like he should, to be a consistent player. It seems like we've had a lot of big men like that go through Wisconsin. We don't want the big guys to think that being a Badger is a death knell for getting playing time when they hit the NBA.

Carlson is more athletic than Garza, and I think has a better game moving ahead. Lots of young talent, and even though we graduate the starting five, I don't see the Badgers falling off the ledge next year.

Carlson is much more compete than Garza, he can step out and take the 3 and have confidence. He 6-9 about 210 and will fill out and get much stronger, move of an NBA 4. More of a Kevin Love type

Kevin Love type. That's some high praise. I hope he is. I never thought of him as being that good, but you might be right.

I'm convinced - at this point - That Gard and his staff are getting even better in their recruiting. I sure like how the Badgers mine the hell out of the suburban Twin Cities area. They get the best from them. Look at the number on the team this year. Places like Lakeville have been a hunting ground.

Love was / is 6-8 but filled out to 250 so he was much stronger. Love was a better shooter but I think Carlson can develop that perimeter game and fill out a bit. Kid was a 4 star recruit #16 PF in the country. I just like his feel for the game as a freshman, more advanced than Dekker was. Dekker was more a pure shooter, pure 3 type but could not defend to save his ass

But yeah the Gard cannot coach or recruit crowd is a bit silent now

• Cheers
Reactions: TW
Back