Greg Gard among Wisconsin coaches getting routine contract extensions

Yup, UW isn't in the position to make a move with another HC anytime soon. Follow the money.
Another 5 years of the bum getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA.

Yup, UW isn't in the position to make a move with another HC anytime soon. Follow the money.

I get they weren't in a position to buy him out, but extending him only makes this worse financially going forward. Now the buyout probably goes back up and they're stuck with him even longer.

I get they weren't in a position to buy him out, but extending him only makes this worse financially going forward. Now the buyout probably goes back up and they're stuck with him even longer.
Did he get them to the dance? Yup, The Win over Purdue who almost won the whole thing also cements him as a decent coach whose program can play with the best ... Let's add that the arena is always full and that program made a bunch of $$$ this season.

Why would they fire him? Remember boys and girls the same academic standards that handcuff UW FB also are in play in BB, so if you're looking for big recruits and such temper those expectations.

The bottom line is what you see is what you get, at least for a while. sb(

Last edited:
I get why they didn't fire him - for all the reason's Mark just listed above. I just don't get the point of "extending" him. Let him work for a year under his existing deal. He's got several years left on the old deal and kids coming in through the portal aren't worried about their coach being around 5 years from now anyway.

Recruiting isn't easy for a school that has academic standards. You eliminate a huge number of candidates before you even start the process.

If you look at the names of the schools recruiting the top players coming out of HS in basketball every year, you'll see schools like Stanford, Northwestern, and Wisconsin missing from the list quite often, because the kid isn't going to be eligible to attend anyhow.

But, you can bet your bippy that there will be certain schools showing up regularly on those lists. Schools that are using the system, to create eligibility for these kids. Even if they aren't going to really even attend classes.

A lot of the "one and done" athletes going into college basketball don't have the academic standing to make it through school. The school can hide their lack of learning capability for one year, through creative tutoring, and classes. They know the kid is going to be gone one way or another.

Mark's point is that Wisconsin is doing pretty well considering they're being asked to play basketball with kids that are eligible to be a Badger.

I've wondered how many potential recruits actually shy away from being a Badger, because having to actually be a student athlete scares the bejeebers out of them. They think they're going to school to play sports, and it's their brass ring. The classroom means nothing.

I've wondered how many potential recruits actually shy away from being a Badger, because having to actually be a student athlete scares the bejeebers out of them. They think they're going to school to play sports, and it's their brass ring. The classroom means nothing.
A lot not just in BB but all sports.....UW is/ has been at a disadvantage for a long time because of this.

Reactions: TW
Also have to ask how much NIL is allocated to the BB program? You have to figure the Badgers NIL program the lion's share is given to spend on the football program. With a likely limited NIL dollars and a offense that is not a scoring offense to put guys into the NBA and as said above with needing to maintain passing grades this is not a program that will get much talent outside of guys who want to stay and play at home in WI and guys who have little to no other offers for D1 programs.

Back