Goodell Doesn't believe in home advantage due to fans

TW

Reaction score
He's floated the balloon before. He doesn't think there's really a home field advantage because of fans. Obviously he hasn't looked at the records over the years of teams like the Packers, Seahawks, and several others. Home cooking is a huge difference, and like they say in Seattle, and I agree, the fans are the 12th player on the field.

I think he's trying to blow smoke because it's going to be a mixed bag as to who allows no fans, some fans, and half or more full stadiums.

Goodell's opinion

I think, or should I say speculating that limited fans in stands won’t be the same home field as previous seasons, I tend to agree with that

if it's not fans, then what is it? Favorable officiating for the home team?

I really dont think home field is a big factor this year at all
I guess I don't have all the context to what he's saying. Is he saying "this year" there's no home field advantage due to fans? If it's this year, then yeah, but that part is left off of the thread title.

I guess I don't have all the context to what he's saying. Is he saying "this year" there's no home field advantage due to fans? If it's this year, then yeah, but that part is left off of the thread title.
I read the quote. I think he was referencing this ....Cant remember the team but someone was bitching that they had no fans in stands (Buffalo I think) and Miami has 15,000 in stands and that a disadvantage. I agree with the commish on this

Goodell has been saying it for years.

Goodell has been saying it for years.

i wonder if goodell has ever actually gone to a game as a fan (i.e. - not just sitting in the team owner's luxury suite and talking business while ignoring the game).

Reactions: TW
I also believe that being able to be in your own home the night before the game, and in your cocoon of comfort, then being able to drive to the stadium, park, and go into the locker room where you feel at home, all creates a different atmosphere. Add to it, the fans, who are yelling in support of your effort... it's all good. There's a definite reason that Vegas considers home field advantage worth 3 points.

I also believe that being able to be in your own home the night before the game, and in your cocoon of comfort, then being able to drive to the stadium, park, and go into the locker room where you feel at home, all creates a different atmosphere. Add to it, the fans, who are yelling in support of your effort... it's all good. There's a definite reason that Vegas considers home field advantage worth 3 points.
I think this year that’s out the window. 20% fans max in limited stadiums won’t make a difference. I get the travel thing but players feed off fans energy

Reactions: TW
Back