Getting good return in trades could be tough for Brewers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
So, with the trading season about to pick up steam, the Brewers are definite sellers. What exactly do they have to sell that other teams would want badly enough to part with decent young players in return?

Continue reading...

What I find sadly incredible is Melvin and company didn't see this disaster coming after that epic collapse in 2014! How come they didn't notice the red flags and blaring alarms? Is it no wonder this team is an embarassment. Melvin needs to go. The best we can hope for is getting the #1 overall pick in 2016. FP( :(

What I find sadly incredible is Melvin and company didn't see this disaster coming after that epic collapse in 2014! How come they didn't notice the red flags and blaring alarms? Is it no wonder this team is an embarassment. Melvin needs to go. The best we can hope for is getting the #1 overall pick in 2016. FP( :(
Nobody could have seen it coming. This same group was leading the division last year in June.

Blame Melvin all you want But a new GM is not the answer. Small market team go,thru cycles. Milwaukee had theirs with Braun / Fielder. Everyone wants to be STL but reality is we will never be. Small market clubs will catch lightning in a bottle for a few years then tank.

Agree ^.

They do have a problem in that all the pieces you'd like to deal are having bad years.

- Braun is untradeable at this point because of the looking $100mil/5yrs that will kick in next year and his production isn't at that level.

- Gomez seems constantly injured but has value if he can get healthy.

- Ramirez is showing his age and isn't much more than a "veteran bat" off the bench at this point.

- Davis is injured.

- Broxton has been pitching poorly.

- Ditto for Garza and Lohse.

- Segura is up and down but might be a guy you can deal. Lots of shortstop talent in the farm system to boot.

- Parra is tradeable, but kind of high priced. We'll see if they can move him.

- Lind might have some value but he's been on a slide since his hot start.

- KRod might be a piece you can move. He's been steady and reliable and might appeal to a team needing a bullpen piece for the post-season.

- Lucroy would have nice value, but I think many would argue that he's still cheap, and the team needs a "face of the franchise" and right now, he's it.

There is just not a lot there. They need to try and deal what they can even if it isn't great value. Take on some single-A kids, if you need to in these deals, and just move on.

Nobody could have seen it coming. This same group was leading the division last year in June.

Blame Melvin all you want But a new GM is not the answer. Small market team go,thru cycles. Milwaukee had theirs with Braun / Fielder. Everyone wants to be STL but reality is we will never be. Small market clubs will catch lightning in a bottle for a few years then tank.

This same group is the one that collapsed in historic fashion and not one thing besides signing Lind for 1st base was changed. I don't mind off years. They happen with small market teams but this brand of baseball - like Luc said - is embarrassingly bad. They aren't even competitive on most nights. How come the Tampa Bay Rays can be competitive in another small market and in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees? Since 2007 they have had one season under .500 and are 40-31 right now leading that tough division so it can be done in a small market. That team is being run a hell of lot better than Milwaukee is these days. :(

This same group is the one that collapsed in historic fashion and not one thing besides signing Lind for 1st base was changed. I don't mind off years. They happen with small market teams but this brand of baseball - like Luc said - is embarrassingly bad. They aren't even competitive on most nights. How come the Tampa Bay Rays can be competitive in another small market and in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees? Since 2007 they have had one season under .500 and are 40-31 right now leading that tough division so it can be done in a small market. That team is being run a hell of lot better than Milwaukee is these days. :(

And prior to 2007 10 straight seasons in Tampa under 500. Helps to draft high. Longoria 3rd overall. Price 1st overall. Being run better. ? There was a reason Friedman and Maddon are no longer in Tampa. You can't sustain that record in a small market. Since 2007. The same window you are mentioned. Milwaukee has been under 500 twice with 2 90 win seasons. Yep I would call that competitive over the same timeframe.

Melvin was not the one who built those early teams Dean Taylor was. Melvin is the most inept GM in MLB. The man could not build a scouting dept to save his life.

Melvin was not the one who built those early teams Dean Taylor was. Melvin is the most inept GM in MLB. The man could not build a scouting dept to save his life.

Wrong Taylor was fired in 2002. Braun was drafted in 2005 ...next

Again since 2007 only 2 below 500 2 90 win seasons. For small market respectable.

Again since 2007 only 2 below 500 2 90 win seasons. For small market respectable.

Wrong Taylor was fired in 2002. Braun was drafted in 2005 ...next

Well, if it isn't because of Melvin why is this team so terrible and our farm system so thin? I post on another Brewer forum and you are the only person I've seen who doesn't seem to be calling for Melvin's head.

Back