GB receiving corps

I read an article this morning that indicated that Watkins isn't a lock to make the Packers roster. It all really depends on whether or not one or two of the rookies step up, and where things go with Cobb, Rodgers, and the existing guys still on the roster.

If they did cut Watkins, it would be a $300k payout, because that's all that's guaranteed. It's possible that they see him more as more of an insurance policy if one of the young guys doesn't make the grade.

Had Watkins shown up at the OTAs I'd say he has a pretty solid chance of sticking, but now that he didn't, I'm not all that sure. It's possible he wants the $300k and a bus ticket out of town.

Having Cobb and Amari Rodgers on the roster scares me a bit; I'm not sure either of them are that NFL roster worthy. I hope Rodgers proves me wrong, and Cobb.

But Cobb will make the team because AR wants him on the squad and Rodgers will make the team since he's Gute guy. Those two things I am sure of.

Having Cobb and Amari Rodgers on the roster scares me a bit; I'm not sure either of them is that NFL roster worthy. I hope Rodgers proves me wrong, and Cobb.

But Cobb will make the team because AR wants him on the squad and Rodgers will make the team since he's Gute guy. Those two things I am sure of.
I'm not sold on it. You are likely correct, but I could see scenarios where either or neither is on the roster. Rodgers wants Cobb, but he wanted Adams as well. And having Cobb is of limited damage since he won't be taking a roster spot after about week 5 when he is on the ir again.

Second/third tier players and untested rookies are not a great combination in a complicated offense.

The WR Corp success lands squarely on the shoulders if Jones and Dillon. If they can bulldoze and dance thier way to success the WR have a chance. If the RB can't get it going it is gonna get ugly.

I for one don't think all of the WR Packers will have this year are on the roster yet. There is no way GB is really sitting back and thinking this group is good enough.

Great thread!

Second/third tier players and untested rookies are not a great combination in a complicated offense.

The WR Corp success lands squarely on the shoulders if Jones and Dillon. If they can bulldoze and dance thier way to success the WR have a chance. If the RB can't get it going it is gonna get ugly.

I for one don't think all of the WR Packers will have this year are on the roster yet. There is no way GB is really sitting back and thinking this group is good enough.

Great thread!
Matt's system is worth a lot, in and of itself. Bear that in mind, too.

Scheme / game plan will dictate WR / TE / RB sets unless someone emerges as a clear #1 option. Good possibility #33 splits wide with Dillion as a one back set, multiple TE formations.

I doubt we any clear rotations until weeks 3-4 if that soon

Matt's system is worth a lot, in and of itself. Bear that in mind, too.
As long as the WR can handle it yes. But rookies and new WR need time to learn the routes, calls, etc and time to polish the timing so they can run those routes effectively. The system is only as good as the WR...

The WR who have been here I'm not so sure can perform up to a high level. But time will tell.

As long as the WR can handle it yes. But rookies and new WR need time to learn the routes, calls, etc and time to polish the timing so they can run those routes effectively. The system is only as good as the WR...
I like the way you framed this Cd.

Two things come to mind that we should look for early in the season.

1) How healthy/experienced of an OL are they going to be starting the season with. Pass pro and run blocking will point the compass this team will be going.
And …….

2) Don’t be surprised if the passing game is short/quick pass centric for the early part of the season as they sort through who’s “getting it”, and who’s not.

Getting open one on one isn't easy, even Adams got covered well enough come play-off time. It's the name of the game right now, easily THE story worth watching in camp and as the season goes along.
And in previous seasons 17 was getting rolled coverage and doubled. Now DC’s may play more exotic schemes and force the WR to make plays, or play more run blitz schemes. Learning curve for the staff also

Back