From Our Blog: Pre-Camp Breakdown by Position: Now Introducing the Packers Wide Receivers and TE

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
http://wisprtstalk.blogspot.com/2015/07/pre-camp-breakdown-by-position-now_17.html

Wide receivers need to be fleet of foot, able to leap tall defensive backs with a single bound and must have hands large enough to catch cannon balls from the quarterback. It is more than safe to say that the Green Bay Packers top three wide receivers are Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams. It is also safe to assume that the starting tight end will be Richard Rodgers vs the Bears during week 1 of the NFL season.
After that...the jobs are up for grabs.
Let's start with Jared Abbrederis.

# 84 Jared Abbrederis
Jared Abbrederis attended Wautoma High School in Wautoma, Wisconsin and was a three-time letter winner in football. Abbrederis joined the Wisconsin Badgers football team as a walk-on spread quarterback on the scout team. He proved to be a great Badger his senior year not only at the wide receiver position, but as a returner as well. He hurt his knee last summer before playing in one pre-season game. He received high praise from coaches before the injury. He will be competing against Jeff Janis and Ty Montgomery for playing time. Jared is best suited for the slot wide receiver position. Abbrederis will make the team as the 6th wide receiver, but will have a better chance to succeed on special teams. If Montgomery cannot get the job done fielding kick offs and punts--Abbrederis is your man!

# 83 Jeff Janis
Jeff Janis is a beast. He is 6' 3" 213 lbs. and has blazing 4.24 40 yard dash speed. In June, Janis received a ton of praise from Aaron Rodgers. If that praise is coming from Rodgers...you have to be good. McCarthy has also raved about him during OTA's. The question, will he be able to beat out Abbrederis and Montgomery for playing time at wide receiver. Right now he has the inside track, but pre-season will obviously tell us more about the young man. I expect Janis to be the # 5 wide receiver when all is said and done.

Ty Montgomery, Stanford Wide Receiver, Packers 3rd round draft pick 2015
Ty Mongomery will be the # 4 wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers. Why? He was drafted in the 3rd round and is unlikely to sit the bench for long periods of time, given his outstanding performance in the passing, kick off and punt return game while at Stanford. His skill set is similar to that of Davante Adams. Tall, durable and great hands. He knows how to set his feet in the return game in order to get up the field quickly and give his team great starting field position. He will be the kick/punt returner this year, barring injury. He will also be used in the slot and in the run game, much like Randall Cobb has been used as of late. I expect him to perform very well this year for the Pack and excited to see what he can finally do at the NFL level.

# 89 Richard Rodgers
The Packers are thin at the tight end position after the Quarless gun incident. Richard Rodgers will be the starter, even if Quarless had not gotten into trouble. Rodgers is young, a good pass blocker and is gaining the trust of Aaron Rodgers. When Quarless returns...he will be the back up and will see playing time when the Packers want to go with two tight ends on the field. In the meantime, Justin Perrillo and 2015 draft pick Kennard Backman will compete for the # 2 spot until Quarless can play. I expect Perrillo to come through for Green Bay, because Backman will not get enough reps in practice in order to make a case for himself. Backman however, will not be cut by the team. After Quarless gets back...Backman will be placed on the practice squad and remain there as a healthy inactive.

This group is interesting and I think we need to see the pads on and who stays healthy before we know how it shakes out.

Looking forward to the battle for the number #4 spot. I really want to see how much Janis has progressed but also If Abby can bring that deep ball big play to GB.

this is one position where the packers really do have a lot of depth, imho. i think there will be a couple of guys that don't make the team who could be #3 or #4 receivers on other teams. and i truly believe that our #3 receiver could easily be a #2 on many other teams even though he is only in his second year.

Back