Free Agents and Player Releases in 2021

ChampionshipBelt

Reaction score
Ok, I get this is way too early to start thinking about but maybe it really isn't with what we have seen from our high priced talent on this team. Let's take a look:

Preston Smith- Not even close to being worth his salary. We save 8M if we release him after this year

Z. Smith- He is getting paid a ton but he is still the best pass rusher we have. We have to keep him.

Kirksey- Injury prone and has done nothing to get me excited as a long term solution at ILB. We save 6M if we release him after this year.

Adrian Amos- For what he has done this year with the bad angles, not great tackling, and no impact plays I would say release him after this year as well. We can draft a replacement or maybe Vernon Scott can be that guy. We save 4.5M by releasing him

Ricky Wagner- He started well in the beginning of the season but looked horrible and lost last week. He is over the hill and we do not need to pay him 6M per year. We save 4.25M if we release him.

Billy Turner- I am on the fence with him. He has played better at tackle this year but can we find someone better in FA or draft someone better? I think we can but not sure about releasing him. 3.55M saved, if we let him walk.

That would be about 31M in cap space based on Spotrac. Enough to sign Aaron Jones and Bakhtiari.

Now I am going to throw a curve ball out there. What do we really think of Davante Adams?

Davante Adams- He is a great possession WR but does he really give us a deep threat? AR sometimes seems to play better when Adams is not playing. Is he in the top 5 WR's in the league? Absolutely. But could he be expendable? I think he could be. He is getting paid 16.6M next year. If we release him, we save 13M in cap space. Of course, I would look to trade him before release but you see what I am saying here.

That would give us 44M in cap space. We could then sign a DL or possible CB to replace King. Preston is replaced by Gary, we can fill in at safety for Amos, and we could possibly sign another WR that is not crazy money in FA.

I know this sounds a little crazy but we need to release the dead weight and get some players in here that are physical, aggressive, and can change this team into not being so soft.

I am interested to hear all your comments!

Ok, I get this is way too early to start thinking about but maybe it really isn't with what we have seen from our high priced talent on this team. Let's take a look:

Preston Smith- Not even close to being worth his salary. We save 8M if we release him after this year

Z. Smith- He is getting paid a ton but he is still the best pass rusher we have. We have to keep him.

Kirksey- Injury prone and has done nothing to get me excited as a long term solution at ILB. We save 6M if we release him after this year.

Adrian Amos- For what he has done this year with the bad angles, not great tackling, and no impact plays I would say release him after this year as well. We can draft a replacement or maybe Vernon Scott can be that guy. We save 4.5M by releasing him

Ricky Wagner- He started well in the beginning of the season but looked horrible and lost last week. He is over the hill and we do not need to pay him 6M per year. We save 4.25M if we release him.

Billy Turner- I am on the fence with him. He has played better at tackle this year but can we find someone better in FA or draft someone better? I think we can but not sure about releasing him. 3.55M saved, if we let him walk.

That would be about 31M in cap space based on Spotrac. Enough to sign Aaron Jones and Bakhtiari.

Now I am going to throw a curve ball out there. What do we really think of Davante Adams?

Davante Adams- He is a great possession WR but does he really give us a deep threat? AR sometimes seems to play better when Adams is not playing. Is he in the top 5 WR's in the league? Absolutely. But could he be expendable? I think he could be. He is getting paid 16.6M next year. If we release him, we save 13M in cap space. Of course, I would look to trade him before release but you see what I am saying here.

That would give us 44M in cap space. We could then sign a DL or possible CB to replace King. Preston is replaced by Gary, we can fill in at safety for Amos, and we could possibly sign another WR that is not crazy money in FA.

I know this sounds a little crazy but we need to release the dead weight and get some players in here that are physical, aggressive, and can change this team into not being so soft.

I am interested to hear all your comments!

In not way shape or form do I move Adams, at least not next year. .....so what cap number is the $44M based on? that to me would answer the above questions.

even though i believe the packers offense works better without adams, i would not release him for sure. and a trade would have to be pretty darn awesome for me to consider it. i think the better solution to the issue is to find rodgers a solid #2 wr. not another udfa or day three draft pick, but a guy who might even be good enough to be the #1 receiver on at least a couple of teams. if we had drafted tee higgins instead of jordan love i think we could have been a much better offense. i remember during the offseason when a lot of fans wanted the packers to sign robby anderson, who currently has the second highest yards receiving in the nfl. that would have made a huge difference - but his contract was way out of our price range.

You have to pay Adam's. If you can get a new deal you can probably lower his 2021 cap number

I respect all your comments and they make sense.

Any thoughts on all the other options with releases?

I respect all your comments and they make sense.

Any thoughts on all the other options with releases?
  • Amos and Wagner I could see going
  • P Smith is an enigma, his career is inconsistent but man when he’s good he’s really good
  • Turner and Kirskey would all come down to can you get an adequate replacement
  • Gut feeling but I don’t think Jones stays
  • I think they would love to keep Bak the market will dictate it. 50/50

even though i believe the packers offense works better without adams, i would not release him for sure. and a trade would have to be pretty darn awesome for me to consider it. i think the better solution to the issue is to find rodgers a solid #2 wr. not another udfa or day three draft pick, but a guy who might even be good enough to be the #1 receiver on at least a couple of teams. if we had drafted tee higgins instead of jordan love i think we could have been a much better offense. i remember during the offseason when a lot of fans wanted the packers to sign robby anderson, who currently has the second highest yards receiving in the nfl. that would have made a huge difference - but his contract was way out of our price range.
I actually text early before the draft that NDs wr Claypool would have been a good selection.

• Amos and Wagner I could see going
  • P Smith is an enigma, his career is inconsistent but man when he’s good he’s really good
  • Turner and Kirskey would all come down to can you get an adequate replacement
  • Gut feeling but I don’t think Jones stays
  • I think they would love to keep Bak the market will dictate it. 50/50
I think Bak is 100% he is getting a new deal or getting tagged he is in GB either way in 2021.

Back