First round OT

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Short and sweet - who are the possibilities for OT in round 1? Don't want to see another Derek Sherrod situation where we take a 3rd round guy just because of positional value, but the cupboards are getting bare on the roster and we need a long term replacement for Bulaga. Teven Jenkins has come up a bit as a possibility here, but I don't know about the player or the fit.

Thoughts from the experts?

I like Slater our of Northwestern because he knows how to position himself. I don't think anyone comes close to him in this area.

Also, he has worked on his strength. Looks like he could end up capable of playing either side. Although not quite the same, he reminds me somewhat of Jenkins. With the footwork, capable of being able to move around.

The rub on him is that he's not tall enough to play left tackle. I dunno. I think he can play darned near anywhere on the offensive line. He creates so good options.

Just my opinion.

Draft site consensus though on Slater seems to be that he's top 15, pretty well out of GB's reach.

Samual Cosmi from Texas. Athletic guy who can run. Downside is @ 6’7” can play “high”.

I like Cosmi too. He's my #3 or #4 pick at OT. Good feet, some speed. I like Vera-Tucker as well. He's the guy I'd see in the mix at 3-4 with Cosmi.

This is an interesting draft on tackles. Some decent ones, but very few who have the footwork and punch to be a franchise type player, like Bakh. Of course there are always diamonds in the rough. As I look back at Bakh, I didn't think he had the hands to do the job, and boy did he prove me wrong.

I wonder how many OTs will go in round one.

I like Cosmi too. He's my #3 or #4 pick at OT. Good feet, some speed. I like Vera-Tucker as well. He's the guy I'd see in the mix at 3-4 with Cosmi.

This is an interesting draft on tackles. Some decent ones, but very few who have the footwork and punch to be a franchise type player, like Bakh. Of course there are always diamonds in the rough. As I look back at Bakh, I didn't think he had the hands to do the job, and boy did he prove me wrong.

I wonder how many OTs will go in round one.

I remember Bakh always had the quick feet, he was just skinny up top. I thought quick feet were the thing to look for but I thought Spriggs was good there too and look how he turned out. Jason always seemed to stop moving, maybe that was his problem.

The thing with Cosmi is he opted out so limited film on him. He seems more comfortable in the run game vs pass pro from what I’ve seen and needs some technique work. Rd1 might be a tad high but would be in the discussion

The thing with Cosmi is he opted out so limited film on him. He seems more comfortable in the run game vs pass pro from what I’ve seen and needs some technique work. Rd1 might be a tad high but would be in the discussion

We don't seem to be in the sweet spot for these tackles. If you miss out on the top 2-3, seems like better value would be early-mid round 2 for some of them. That's why I started the thread, don't know who would be a good fit at that 29 spot. As TW said, you do get your capable starters in the mid rounds every year so scouting department has to find them

We don't seem to be in the sweet spot for these tackles. If you miss out on the top 2-3, seems like better value would be early-mid round 2 for some of them. That's why I started the thread, don't know who would be a good fit at that 29 spot. As TW said, you do get your capable starters in the mid rounds every year so scouting department has to find them
agree I dont think you see a tackle worth drafting at 29. You would want to move back probably 10 spots if you want one without reaching for one.

If we're looking for a project type, who will be able to spend a year learning how to keep his feet under him in his pass blocking, Adrian Ealy out of Oklahoma could be a later round pick. He could develop a lot like Bakh did. He could also be a bust, but as long as it's a later round, I think he's worth the pick.

I agree too that at 29, there's nobody on the board when it's our turn, to take. Trading back is a good idea.

In fact, I think trading back is a good idea anyhow. There's going to be just as many guys who can fill needs available to us in the first few picks in round 2. Grab some extra pick power with that #1.

Back