Favre, Butler among 2016 Hall of Fame nominees

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Brett Favre headlines the list of three former Green Bay Packers players who are among the 108 modern-era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s 2016 class.
Two former Packers safeties, LeRoy Butler and Darren Sharper, were nominated as well.
Players aren’t eligible for the Hall until they’ve been retired for five years, and this is Favre’s first year. He appears to be a sure bet to make it as a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Among his many accomplishments he’s a three-time NFL most-valuable player and has the most passing yards and second-most touchdown passes in league history.

Butler played safety for the Packers from 1990-2011.
Sharper, who also is eligible for the first time, was a safety for the Packers from 1997-2004, and also played for the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints. This year Sharper began a nine-year prison term for pleading guilty to multiple rapes.

Other nominees with Packers ties are Kevin Greene, a former defensive end and outside linebacker with multiple teams who coached the Packers’ outside linebackers from 2009-13, and Clay Matthews, Jr., a former linebacker with the Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons, and the father of current Packers linebacker Clay Matthews III.

The Hall of Fame’s selection committee will reduce the list of nominees to 25 in November and 15 in January. The committee then meets on Feb. 6 in San Francisco to reduce that list to five finalists, who then receive an up or down vote. A nominee needs 80 percent yes votes from the 46 selectors for election to the Hall.

Three other finalists already have been determined. Two are seniors candidates, quarterback Ken Stabler and offensive lineman Dick Stanfel. The other is a contributor candidate, former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo, Jr. All three will be subject to a yes or no vote at the selectors meeting in San Francisco

Source ~ http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...utler-among-2016-hall-fame-nominees/32523579/

Darren Sharper? That seems crazy considering everything that has gone on with him in the last few years. Will he give his acceptance speech from prison? I bet he never gets in.

That was my thought as well. I can't see them voting Sharper in. But stranger things have happened.

Darren Sharper? That seems crazy considering everything that has gone on with him in the last few years. Will he give his acceptance speech from prison? I bet he never gets in.
seriously. are they insane?
who the heck nominated him?

Back