ESPN U ranks college talent by position

TW

Reaction score
This is an interesting comparison of schools and the talent they produce heading into the NFL. We don't have to agree with all of it, but it does speak pretty highly of Wisconsin's emergence as a place that does create an environment that brings the best out in a lot of players.

We weren't mentioned for QBs. I can understand that. It's something we hope will change with Chryst over the next few years. I don't believe we even reach the top 20 to be honest.

At RB, we are rated #2, behind only Alabama. I think it's close enough that Wisconsin could have gotten the nod here, but let's face it. The success of the Alabama program gives them a huge edge in drawing talent to their locker room.

At WR we didn't draw mention. There have been a few WRs who've made it in the NFL, but not enough to compete against programs with better passing games, that lure players into their schools. Better QBs would help solve this problem. Show them the arms, and they might just find Wisconsin a strong option. Until then, we're one dimensional on offense.

At TE, we're ranked #5. That seems like a fair enough ranking, and tells me that when we get the right arms, some TE talent that we'd have never thought available, might start playing in cardinal and white. The only schools ahead of us are Miami, Iowa, Stanford, and Missouri.

OFFENSIVE LINE - Only Alabama is ranked ahead of us, and let's face it, this is where an offense starts. Wisconsin has reached this level through development of players who aren't usually called "blue chip players," and quite often, it's home grown talent. We have brothers heading to Wisconsin, creating family traditions, and even at times, second, and third generation players. We need to stay at this level, and improve on our passing game, and the Badgers could be very special for a long time.

DB is a place where we don't shine. No top 10 for Bucky. Granted, we get this diamond in the rough at times, but usually they're guys who were underrated, and put on a Badger uniform and prove to be a special breed. Some of them are undersized guys from towns of less than 150 people, and play 8-man football, because the school is so small. We're talking Jim Leonhard type players, and sometimes it works. But we need to get into that southern speed out of places like Florida and Georgia.

DEFENSIVE LINE - We don't make the top 10, and don't belong there. The Badgers do get some decent talent at these positions, but not enough to count as a top 10 developer. If, over the last 10 years, we could have had a couple more run stuffers who threw offensive linemen into ball carriers and QBs, we could have cracked the top 10. The Badgers are that close to breaking in.

LINEBACKER - We do have some guys who make an impact, and we get a lot of solid players who just don't quite make it in the NFL. It doesn't mean they don't have talent, they just aren't quite good enough to have a long NFL career. That said, I think the Badgers are in the top 15, if not the top 10.

Here's a link to the article. ESPN U Rankings

RB thing is interesting. While numbers wise UW is correct talent wise not so sure. Dayne and Ball over Gore and James ? Not so sure. While White and Gordon stand out they don’t match Miami in production. I know they also mention Bennett but ....
I think it’s a fair snapshot overall

I think the names they threw out were just a snapshot, not a definitive list of players. I wonder how far back they're going in this analysis? If you go back past Alvarez, it gets pretty sketchy as to the talent they sent to the NFL at skill positions.

if they were going by talent, russell wilson beats any of these guys:
8. Florida
Notable players: Jesse Palmer, Rex Grossman, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow

Back