Eagles Super Bowl coach Pederson gives credit to Holmgren, Sherman

M

Mark Eckel

By MARK ECKEL

Doug Pederson, who is taking the Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl in his second year as head coach, gives a lot of credit for his success to two former Packers head coaches.

Pederson, who was Brett Favre’s backup quarterback from 1995-98 and then again from 2001-04, mentioned both of his head coaches in Green Bay, Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman, this past week.

Linked closely to Andy Reid, who Pederson coached under in both Philadelphia and Kansas City, Pederson was asked if any other coach helped him along the way in his play design and aggressiveness.

“I go back to my days in Green Bay with Mike Holmgren,’’ Pederson said. “He was a little bit that way in some of his play call, play design a little bit. And traditionally in the West Coast system, it’s always been about motions and shifts and quick passing and things of that nature. That will never change in this game. It’s always going to be that way.

“So Mike is definitely one of the guys. I can think back, too, on Mike Sherman, when I had him. He was probably more on the run game side of things and could be a little creative that way in the run game and utilizing our personnel in the run game, as well. So a couple of those guys, really, in my days at Green Bay (were helpful).’’

Pederson left the Packers as a free agent before the 1999 season and signed with the Eagles and Reid who was in his first year as a head coach after being a long-time Packers assistant under Holmgren.

After just one year in Philadelphia and another season in Cleveland, Pederson returned to the Packers to back up Favre in 2001. And he continued to learn.

“Of course, back then whether it be a blocking scheme, the way we use tight ends. We had multiple tight ends back then we use a lot and still use them today,’’ Pederson said referring to the Packers’ scheme. “We introduced the extra offensive lineman back then. That was always a little different, a unique style. So just things like that that have sort of stuck with me over the years when designing either run plays or passing schemes as we go.’’

Pederson raised some eyebrows early this season when he said his Eagles team reminded him of that 1996 Packers team that won the Super Bowl.

“I don’t have a crystal ball, obviously, and it’s hard to predict,’’ Pederson said. “You’d love to sit here and go, yeah, in the summer, you’re going to be 13-3 and win the NFC East. You’d love to be in that situation, or 16-0, or whatever it might be. I did have a feeling back then when I made that statement that we could be, we had the potential to be a good football team because of the way we’ve practiced and the talent that we brought to the roster and the progression of Carson Wentz in his second year. And then defensively the front, the way they performed, and the back end. I saw a lot of the same similarities. So you just have that gut feeling when I made that statement.

“I also followed that up by saying it takes great coaching, teaching, mentoring to also have our guys prepared each week to be in this position. So all of that has kind of culminated. I think you look back on it and you go, wow, maybe it was true-type thing.’’

The post Eagles Super Bowl coach Pederson gives credit to Holmgren, Sherman appeared first on Bob McGinn Football.

Continue reading...

Seems like Pederson also learned from Sherman that you shouldn't call a timid game when playing with a lead in a big playoff game...

I was amazed at how the Philadelphia players have responded to Pederson. I think he could be one of the new coaching leaders of the future. He was always a student of the game, and apparently he learned well.

I'm shocked at their defense. Julio Jones, Mohammad Sunu and Stefon Diggs all got their catches, but look at the points. 10 pts to Atlanta, 7 pts to Minnesota. I mean, damn. Their DBs are playing fantastic coverage and their front 4 are getting good enough pressure. Cooks and Amandola will get their catches in the SB but geez, these guys look like they can hold up.

What you're seeing in Philadelphia is a Jim Schwartz defense. I always felt he was over-matched as a head coach, but an excellent defensive coordinator. He's in his environment, and Pederson's the kind of coach who likes to use a controlled offense, so they're both methodical.

Back