Draft Thoughts and Mini 4 Round Mock

Terranimal

Reaction score
Imo it's way too early for doing mocks. We still have the season to finish, conference title games, play offs, all star games, combine and pro days to go. So while Big Boards are going, they are in flux somewhat until these are done and we know for sure what Juniors have declared.

But hey it's Thanksgiving, so why not do a mini one? This mock is based off Pack drafting in the 10- 15 range. If we end up tanking and drafting with in top ten, then that changes player options considerably. Likewise if they turn it around and we pick later in every round.

With in each area of drafting one could do multiple mocks and then if figuring in teams trading up or down, the possible are endless. Regardless of where we draft or what other teams do, I still stick to my big board for the Pack and follow the drafting principles spoke of in the last thread. Also I don't speculate on whether the Pack trade up or down.....yet. Btw if anyone would like to do their mocks figuring in trades and keeping it realistic, Ourlads also has the NFL trade value charts that teams pretty much stick to.

In the early rounds do think it's possible to draft highest rated player and still fill a need at the same time, especially with all the holes on this team. Think everyone knows the team needs so won't bore. However in addition it's very likely that both Shields and Lacy's days in GB are done, adding more to the list.

Rd 1) Adoree Jackson USC 5'11" 185 A former 2 way player settled into Corner this year and has come on. Also a track guy that tried out for the Olympic team. Expect his workouts and speed to shine and further validate his on field play. Also a dangerous Returner as has scored TDs both on kick off and punts. Originally viewed as late 1st early 2nd his arrow is pointing up and expect him to rise. In fact he could be off the board by this point of the draft.

With Shields likely gone there are some comparisons. Shields also was converted to corner, former track and so on. And while both are maybe just a tad shorter then ideal (Shields was 5-10 at best) which vertical (shields was off the chart) can make up for that inch or two difference and play even bigger against taller WRs then players who are 6-0/ 6-1.

Also good by watching, and hopefully workouts will bare this out, is his change of direction and fluid hips.

At this point of the draft am going with LOT that Tabor, Peppers, and RB Cook are off the board. Again possible are endless....

Rd 2) TE Bucky Hodges 6-6 250 4.6 est 40. Taller and faster version of Finley.....not saying he is other then as a receiving TE and a big red zone threat. Over last couple of years our red zone scoring percentage has gone downhill and our TE play has been dismal. As with almost all TEs, needs improvement on blocking.

Rd 3) OLB Carl Lawson 6-2 257 4.6 est 40. A bit of the roll of the dice here. Talent wise could be in mention as one of the top pass rushers/OLBers in the draft, but injuries pushes him down at this time. Has a quick first step and so on.

Rd 4) RB Sony Michel 5'11" 212 4.49 est 40. Did a bit of research on him. LOT is that he would have been the #1 RB if not for Chubb on his team. Has speed to break away and also hands for receiving.

This would be the type of RB if Wolf was still here would grab. Doesn't have the mileage that the big name backs have on them. Remember Dorsey Levens?

Regardless of where we draft one or who we draft for RB, wouldn't surprise me to see the GM draft 2 of them spending a late round pick on the second one.

So let's recap the thoughts behind the picks. 2 things that stand out on this team is lack of playmakers/ talent and lack of speed. These players fit the bill on both at the top 2 rounds and a small risk in rounds 2/3 for different reasons. I do have 2 RBs higher rated for first two rounds but went off big board at projected area will draft in each round.

Note on WR: While have wanted a #1 physical big Go-To. WR overall not as an impressive group as what will be coming out over next 2 years. The top prospect Williams and maybe only sure fire mid to high 1st rd WR, suffered a serious neck fracture a year before and that's a red flag for me on a couple of levels. One he has to clear NFL medical, second is the concern that might happen again, and third is how willing will he be going over the middle of the field and taking serious hit? The next 2 on my list are being forecasted to go off the board late 1st to early 2nd and speed is of concern which will be answered in work outs. After these 3 then there are others that are number 2/3 types and so on. Though I do have one that think could turn into a possible one but he's smaller at 6-0 for Rds 3 on but some have him as possible round 2 which at this stage is too high for me. More on WRs later on......

Want to wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Keep those comments and questions coming and happy drafting!

Reactions: TW
Wow! That was ambitious! You did a lot of research getting there, especially this soon. I do think you identified need.

If we could land Lawson in the 3rd I be going crazy. the guy has top 10 talent, great work ethic, a leader and good kid. his knocks are he has had some big injuries and is a little short (last one being picky). the kid can ball. IDK if he falls this far, Id be happy in the 2nd.

Good group. I dug into the other 3 and wont not be upset in the least.

Happy turkey day everyone

Only thing I disagree with is not using 1st round pick on OL. Lets follow Dallas' key to success. O Line is key to championships

Follow the research and odds from last draft thoughts over at Ourlads. Plus how many early round picks has TT spent on OK and how many made it? 1 just 1....Bulaga and even at that was drafted to be a LT and ended up at RT which RT odds say are found later on

I appreciate your line of thought and get it though.....☺

Also Dallas wasn't squat until QB and RB Elliot this year....

Only thing I disagree with is not using 1st round pick on OL. Lets follow Dallas' key to success. O Line is key to championships

which OL are you wanting to grab in the 1st?? who does he replace??
Bak is playing well and is just starting his prime. so well in fact he is rated the second best OT in pass pro and his run blocking is ticking up. He isn't going to be unseated.

we are fine at center with 2 worthy starters.

Bulaga... so far has been healthy this season and is under contract. Sure he could be upgraded but might be hard with a rook. Plus Spriggs was drafted this year. The kid will get stronger and be fine. He even played a solid guard.

Taylor has been better then expected. Could be upgraded but I don't see a interior lineman going in top 15.

I get that we want a mauling line, but ours isn't bad by any means. Dallas has a nice line (I like Tenn better). As good as both these lines are neither have been successful yet. Neither has won a championship.

The O over the last month really hasn't been our problem

We want to win in the trenches I would say lets get more pressure on the d side of the ball our O line is a strong point

Mark pointed out in shout how our O-Line has given up sacks and hits, so can see how some would feel we should invest picks to upgrade this area. Those of us old school remember Lombardi saying Its a game of inches and games are won in the trenches.

However also look at the big picture. Every part of Offense is relative. Name one WR that beats coverage, much less double coverage like Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver in his early years did. We don't have that Go-To WR. Name one TE that clears out the short to intermediate range and is a Red Zone threat. Don't have that either. Then what do we have for a running game and what RB do teams have to account for with Lacy on IR? Rodgers holds on to the ball too long and extends plays instead of getting rid of ball early putting undo stress on the O-Line. Why? For reasons just named. Its unreal to ask your O-Line to block guys for as long as these guys have to. And not even getting into play calling which also contributes to the woes.

Imo we need to improve our Skill positions on Offense both in talent and speed. People point to Dallas and their great O-Line. But its been the same O-Line for a few years so what changed? A mobile QB with a strong arm and a dynamic RB that Defenses have to account for both running and receiving and they have aGO-To WR and still a viable TE . We have the QB but the cupboards are empty.

Food for thought.

Too early for me as well though I'm glad others are more up to speed and willing to post thoughts.

I really don't have a problem with any of the picks but Lawson and his injury history make me pause. TT has taken a few of these kind of guys and they have not worked out.

As I said on another mock, the CB and TE positions make sense to me because they stand out as weak areas. As long as there is good value when you are picking them, it's hard to question the selections.

I like the Sony Michel pick but I'd pass on a 2nd RB. I think they can re-sign Christin Michael at a reasonable price if he looks OK these last 6 games. I also think they can keep Lacy if they want, OR Starks, but not both. At this point I'd probably just re-sign Michael and keep Starks and add a rookie to the mix. A couple of talented veterans and a rookie is a nice mix and after Starks or Michael leave you can always draft another youngster in a year, or heck, who knows, maybe a new GM will grab a FA! Seems like there are always a few viable FA RBs every year that don't cost a bundle.

I also would be on the lookout for an interior lineman in the Rd 3-5 area. Not a sexy position, but Lang may not be back, and even if he is, I'd like to have a young guy to develop for when he is gone in a couple of years.

Ure jumping ahead there 57...this is just one of model and possibles are endless as we know. Also a mini mock didn't go farther yet and agree and we always seem to take an Ol every draft ;)

The only thing that really gives me pause is that 3rd rounder. Spending a 3rd on a guy with an injury history isn't what I would do. Talent is there, but when he makes that jump to the NFL those injuries are worrysome. Especially for a LB..

I would be more than happy for TT to just go strict BPA. There are so many holes on this team there is no position (not even QB anymore looking down the road) that couldn't use an infusion of talent. Plus GB is in rebuild so multi-year process to get back to elite status. Not like they just need a few guys to plug holes.

Back