Dougherty: Tough roster calls loom for Packers

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Dougherty: Tough roster calls loom for Packers

Decent article... Even though it is GBPG :) Don't agree with him on everything but some good points made about Cobb and CMIII...

So here's my take. With so many key players getting older, falling off, and a defense that is clearly having major issues this team is in the beginnings of a rebuild. Clean out the older guys on the decline and get some younger players in there. Yes, I'm one who complains that GB doesn't seem to hold onto players so nobody ever develops. But there is such a thing as holding on to a player too long as well, and rewarding guys who put in one good season and then expect big money.

TJ Lang: Resign for the right price. Maybe overpay cause he's a veteran on the OL who can play through injury

Peppers: Minimum deal or see ya. Maybe even let him go no matter what. Need to find young guys to develop.

Perry: 1 good season and he seemed to have disappeared in the ATL game when they needed him. Don't break the bank. He will be your classic Boom, sign contract, then bust. You can say it was cause Ryan played so well or this and that. But if you want to be paid like a star you play like a star. You don't get excuses. Those top guys make an impact no matter what. That's why they're the top guys. Resign him as long as he doesn't want tier 1 star type money. Additionally, Perry had 1 sack and 7 tackles in 3 playoff games.

Cook: Do what it takes. Injuries or not what he brought to the offense is worth bringing back, and more importantly Arod trusts him.

Lacy: If you find an Rb in the draft bye bye. Though I suppose there might be value in a cheap prove the past couple seasons were a fluke type contract. Though RB who run like Lacy never last long.

Hyde: This guy is a lot like Hawk. Not the greatest, but seems to always be there when you need him. Def a priority on defense.

Jones: You can safely let him walk.

Tretter: I'd bring him back for the right price. Don't overpay. You can find these guys in the draft.

Barclay: Maybe at minimum.

Michael: Not sure what to make of him. But overall I'm not thinking he's worth it. Though I'd bring him back on a minimum salary and see what he can do after an offseason in the system.

Goode: Can you imagine the Packers without him??? :)

I would not bring Barclay back if he paid the team to be allowed to play.

Here's my take, based on Cheesedog's evaluation. I copied and pasted, to show how my views fit in with his. He did an excellent job.

So here's my take. With so many key players getting older, falling off, and a defense that is clearly having major issues this team is in the beginnings of a rebuild. Clean out the older guys on the decline and get some younger players in there. Yes, I'm one who complains that GB doesn't seem to hold onto players so nobody ever develops. But there is such a thing as holding on to a player too long as well, and rewarding guys who put in one good season and then expect big money.
TJ Lang: Resign for the right price. Maybe overpay cause he's a veteran on the OL who can play through injury
TJ Lang is experience. Totally agree. The only question is, what do we do with Tretter & Linsley? One should end up at guard, and based on how well Lane Taylor came on, who would we miss less, one of our two centers, or Lang? Could we groom someone who could step in, to replace (guess here) Tretter, if he had to move to center? Maybe, letting Lang go, because of age, is an option?
Peppers: Minimum deal or see ya. Maybe even let him go no matter what. Need to find young guys to develop.
Peppers still has what it takes to play in this league. As far as salary, it wouldn't be super star money, but of all our LBs, who has been injured least over the last two years? Peppers. I think he should stay put, and would settle for a fair contract.
Perry: 1 good season and he seemed to have disappeared in the ATL game when they needed him. Don't break the bank. He will be your classic Boom, sign contract, then bust. You can say it was cause Ryan played so well or this and that. But if you want to be paid like a star you play like a star. You don't get excuses. Those top guys make an impact no matter what. That's why they're the top guys. Resign him as long as he doesn't want tier 1 star type money. Additionally, Perry had 1 sack and 7 tackles in 3 playoff games.
Perry is a decent LB, but not good enough to pay top dollar to keep. If he was going to emerge as a top talent, this would have been the year. It's not going to happen in GB. Maybe he'd fit into a 4-3 defense better.
Cook: Do what it takes. Injuries or not what he brought to the offense is worth bringing back, and more importantly Arod trusts him.
Cook is the kind of player I like to see on teams. He's always working to get better, and I think he's found a home in GB. I'd try to keep him, as long as his salary demands aren't out of reach.
Lacy: If you find an Rb in the draft bye bye. Though I suppose there might be value in a cheap prove the past couple seasons were a fluke type contract. Though RB who run like Lacy never last long.
I hate to say this, but your assessment is 100% right. RBs are a dime a dozen, and guys who pile drive lines don't last too long. The days of RBs who do a dozen years of quality service are pretty much history. I wouldn't waste time trying to sign him. I'd move on, intent on finding someone who is serviceable as an RB, and knows how to block.
Hyde: This guy is a lot like Hawk. Not the greatest, but seems to always be there when you need him. Def a priority on defense.
Good evaluation. He is the Hawk of defensive backs. He does what's asked of him, and doesn't let personal stats interfere with doing his job right. If you can get him back at a fairly reasonable level, do it.
Jones: You can safely let him walk.
I wonder if this guy can play? I've seen him push his man into the backfield numerous times, forcing QBs to scramble, yet, they take him out, and we don't see him again, the rest of the game. If they don't have faith in him, they should let him go. I think he's a good 4-3 DL.
Tretter: I'd bring him back for the right price. Don't overpay. You can find these guys in the draft.
Here we differ. You don't find guys like Tretter in the draft. He's a better center than Linsley, and a better guard than possibly even Taylor. He can also play both tackle positions, and is probably the most versatile OL we have. To be honest, his salary demands will be somewhat stiff, because there's someone out there who sees his talent. If at all possible, bring him back.
Barclay: Maybe at minimum.
I am still trying to see what the Packers see in him? Not very good. Adios!
Michael: Not sure what to make of him. But overall I'm not thinking he's worth it. Though I'd bring him back on a minimum salary and see what he can do after an offseason in the system.
I have no idea what the Packers do here. Based on past experience, they let him walk. He's not good enough to invest a lot of money in keeping
Goode: Can you imagine the Packers without him???
Brett stays. He's one of the best long-snappers in the league. Also, his wife has become a friend of my son, and daughter-in-law, so I have some skin in this one. On a serious note, his snaps are always right on the money, and with the authority needed to give holders and punters the time they need, to do their jobs. He'll sign for the veteran figure.

Fair point about Tretter... If he is as versatile as people say then letting Barclay go is a no brainer. Put that money into Tretter.

I don't see how they keep Tretter and Lang. They both have market value in the $8.5 million/year range. Perry was the best consistent pass rush we had this year and he did that playing with a club for the last part of the season and playoffs. I understand the reluctance to sign him based on past performances but tell me who replaces him? A rookie? A UFA? Perry needs to be signed to keep the d-line somewhat intact. Again the d-line was not the issue with this team. They got pressure on the QB and played the run above average. Yes a few teams gave them fits but it was the secondary that let the team down.

I don't see how they keep Tretter and Lang. They both have market value in the $8.5 million/year range. Perry was the best consistent pass rush we had this year and he did that playing with a club for the last part of the season and playoffs. I understand the reluctance to sign him based on past performances but tell me who replaces him? A rookie? A UFA? Perry needs to be signed to keep the d-line somewhat intact. Again the d-line was not the issue with this team. They got pressure on the QB and played the run above average. Yes a few teams gave them fits but it was the secondary that let the team down.
I think we can keep both Tretter and Lang, because neither is going to get $8.5. If some team offers that much then they walk and we might not have either. Lang wants to stay and has been getting nicked up lately so a home town discount will probably work. Tretter could be considered injury prone and might not attract the attention folks think. Alex Mack signed for an average $9M a year and Tretter isn't near that accomplished. His value is versatility. IMO. Perry? Like to see him stay, but it only takes one team to believe in his potential. 8-9M a year?
Our Dline had 40 sacks, but they did NOT apply consistent pressure. We usually had to blitz to achieve pressure and they usually didn't get home. Lack of consistent pressure was some of the problem with the coverage, but our DBs are priority #1.

I would not bring Barclay back if he paid the team to be allowed to play.

Really. How this guy stays on this team is one of life's mysteries. I suppose he's a serviceable backup guard but he is dreadful as a tackle.

I think we can keep both Tretter and Lang, because neither is going to get $8.5. If some team offers that much then they walk and we might not have either. Lang wants to stay and has been getting nicked up lately so a home town discount will probably work. Tretter could be considered injury prone and might not attract the attention folks think. Alex Mack signed for an average $9M a year and Tretter isn't near that accomplished. His value is versatility. IMO. Perry? Like to see him stay, but it only takes one team to believe in his potential. 8-9M a year?
Our Dline had 40 sacks, but they did NOT apply consistent pressure. We usually had to blitz to achieve pressure and they usually didn't get home. Lack of consistent pressure was some of the problem with the coverage, but our DBs are priority #1.

Tretter's problem is he can't stay on the field. I wouldn't offer him the moon. Lang has been banged up but he was a warrior and played thru it all. Plus it appears he is a good leader in the locker room after being voted to be one the post season captains. Good veteran leadership can be just as valuable as younger players.

What's our cap number?
For crying out loud! We have enough money to sign Hyde, Perry, Lang, Tretter, Cook, and sign a few FA to shore up this D.
Unfortunately, TT will sit on all that and we will do nothing in FA unless they are undrafted or are low end FA that no other team wants.
There is no debate here. This team will be no different next year or the year after. Once AR regresses this team will be .500 or under.
Sorry but it is reality.

If the Packers cut Shields and Starks they should have about 47.5 million in cap space.

Back