Diamond Stone has draft workout with Bucks

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Milwaukee native Diamond Stone, projected to be picked late in the first round or early in the second round of the NBA draft Thursday, worked out for the Bucks on Monday as part of a six-man session.

Continue reading...

it seems like just last week we were talking about how he dissed the badgers and committed to maryland instead. obviously college was not important to this kid.

it seems like just last week we were talking about how he dissed the badgers and committed to maryland instead. obviously college was not important to this kid.
He a first round pick. No upside to staying.

free ride to a 4-year degree that could have been used to help a smart underprivileged teen that might have actually benefitted from a college degree.

free ride to a 4-year degree that could have been used to help a smart underprivileged teen that might have actually benefitted from a college degree.
And he only used one year of it. Scholarships are not granted for 4 years. It's one year renewable. And his scholarship will get allocated back to the program.

Stone will be able to make some money somewhere playing basketball. He should have stayed in school one more year to work on his physical development because he was regarded by some teams as a bit soft and out of shape. Also he probably needed to display some better skills especially away from the basket. Chances are good he will go late in Rd 1, but there are some mocks showing him in Rd 2.

I would make no assumptions about him being a smart underprivileged kid who might benefit from a degree.
-First off, both of his parents attended college. Presumably they graduated (though I don't know for sure) so I'm not so sure he has an underprivileged background. I suspect his parents talked to him about the benefits of an education.
-Second, I'm not so sure he is smart. There were some rumblings about his lack of dedication in the classroom in high school and that it might have hurt his standing with UW. He might not have made it through 4 years of college and graduated (ie Vander Blue and many others).
-Finally, as I said above, he will likely play somewhere and make money. Maybe a season or two in the NBA, after which he can always choose to spend a few years in Europe and earn some decent money. If a kid has the chance to do that, then I think his wisest course is to seek those options out while he is young and healthy and can earn that kind of money. He can always go back to college if B-ball doesn't pay the bills.

Back