Dear Aaron Rodgers: Ask for a piece of the gross revenue

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Dear Aaron Rodgers: Ask for a piece of the gross revenue

Interesting idea, though not sure that works with the cap well... sh))

Here’s an idea, inspired by the news that the Packers generated $454.9 million in gross revenue and $34 million in profit: Rodgers should base his total pay not on the salary cap but on the money this publicly-traded business earns.

Of course, if he bases it on net revenue, creative accounting will ensure that there is no net revenue. So why not ask for a piece of the gross?

This i'll agree with though, even though it pains me to agree with Florio:

Rodgers won’t say that, of course. He knows it wouldn’t be received very well by fans who are far more inclined (inexplicably) to side with the billionaires who don’t play the game over the millionaires who do.

Because Aaron does not have maximum leverage to command that type of structure from GB or anyone, i.e. he's just not worth it.

EDIT: also think about it from AR's perspective. The new cba will be three seasons from now. He wants to play at least 5 more. Who knows what the landscape is going to be after that? Who knows what structures and guarantees will be available after that? If his money was based on team gross revenue, wouldn't he actually be forced to root against the players in a way in CBA negotiations?

Last edited:
Contract with Rodgers all depends with his demands. If rumors true he wants a opt out or trying to get a percent of cap the Packers might not be so open to have him set a precident for that. Rodgers will be 36 when his contract ends and Packers could tag him up to 3 more seasons making him 38-39 depending if they would tag him 2 or 3 times. At that point his career his coming to a end would he be wanting to be like Brady and Brees play into their 40s? At one point he said he did not want to play past 40.

The Rodgers salary issue is going to end up being a detraction for the team the way it looks. Not because of Rodgers himself, but because of the new league contract and the tight fist mentality of the Packers front office. It could directly end up having an effect on drafting, and free agency.

Just a thought here.... what if the Packers told him they'd give him a salary that ranked directly in the middle of the top 5 QBs in the league, with a front load of big bucks equal to roughly 50% of what they agree to see as the average salary over the next 5 years? They could use an escalator clause to raise or lower it effectively when the new agreement goes into effect.

Just shooting from the hip here.

Cousins set the bar with the guaranteed dollars, Rodgers will want the same. The only question is what are the dollars. Years are irrelevant, only there to prorate the signing bonus. You cannot tie it to team revenue because not all team revenue is shared per the CBA. Actually I don't think the CBA would allow that language in the contract.

Something that bothers me about money/contracts. As an athlete, when you make so much, the next tier of money doesn't mean as much as it does to someone who doesn't have money.

To me, assuming I had $40 mill in the bank, and invested, does the difference between $15 mill in salary and $35 mill in salary really do all that much for me personally, or is it strictly an ego thing that makes me want it?

A couple of things that always stand out with me. Ted Williams was paid $100,000 one year for playing baseball. He went to the Red Sox ownership and gave them back half of his salary because he didn't believe he'd done enough to earn it.

The second was when I was a Cop. The Chief told me there were two ways to accept your paycheck twice a month. With your hand out, knowing you'd earned it, or just have someone put it on the table, and you can sheepishly back up and take it with your hand, without looking your benefactor in the eye, because you knew you didn't earn it.

The second was a lesson I've carried through life, since that day. Make sure that the check you get is from what you "earned," not because you think you're worth that much.

I've always pictured Rodgers as a retire on top with health and money at 35 type of guy, but he has the skills to play til 40 if he avoids injuries.

I've always pictured Rodgers as a retire on top with health and money at 35 type of guy, but he has the skills to play til 40 if he avoids injuries.
He's said for years now he wants to go until at least 40 but I agree with you. Never struck me as that guy. If the Packers win a super bowl in the next couple years I can definitely see him reneging on that whole 40 thing and riding off. Though part of me believes he's gonna want every passing record.

Back