Day 2 - what's the plan

57packer

Reaction score
Just to discuss somewhere other than shout, what do people see as Day 2 options/moves.

- This was not a strong draft for edge guys, especially early, but there are a few intriguing options for Day 2.

Harold Landry - probably the most obvious choice. Not sure if he'll be a good pro. One site noted his poor game against Notre Dame and their high caliber o-line as an indication of what could happen to him in the NFL.

Lorenzo Carter - tall, long arms, and good speed. Somewhat underwhelming in college but an elite athlete. Supposedly relied too much on natural athleticism in college. Has upside and maybe the lights go on for him when he's around guys who can teach him that this is now about making a living, so more study and dedication is needed. Probably goes somewhere in Rd 2.

Josh Sweat - Another guy with freaky size and speed. Not super productive at Florida State, but was playing against top competition and has the raw ability to succeed. Probably fits best in Rd 2 as well.

Dorance Armstrong - played on a really crappy Kansas team which some speculate led to a down junior year for him. I read that teams avoided him or doubled him. He was first team all Big-12 as a soph. A Rd 3 type guy - but the Packers don't have a Rd 3 pick.

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - short for the position. Analysts are bipolar on him. Some love him and think he goes in Rd 2, others think he's too short and stiff and that long talented NFL tackles will give him trouble so Rds 4-5 are more likely.

I like Carter and Sweat.

Non-edge guys are certainly also a strong option. They need WR, OL and TE help.

At WR, Sutton or Gallup would do it for me at #45. I think both would work out well for the Packers as they both have some size and run good routes.

At OL, would love Hernandez to lock down RG for the next 8 years, but I suspect he's gone by 45. There are a number of OTs still out there including Brown, Okorafor, Crosby and Williams. One of them might be the ticket to shore up the RT position. Either right away or when they likely release Bulaga after the 2018 season. I don't have a preference on the OTs.

At TE, I'd pass on Gisecki because he can't/won't block and they already have a couple of TE's like that. Goedert and Thomas would make sense as both are probably better blockers and have some receiving ability as well. Both probably fit in Rd 3 so probably don't figure into the Packers draft right now unless they last until that first pick in Rd 4.

Also need to consider Maurice Hurst. He could help with the inside pass rush. If we assume Wilkerson is a one-year guy, then someone like Hurst would be perfect to groom behind him for this year and insert into the rotation in his place in 2019. Another guy I suspect will be snapped up before pick #45.

Lastly, the Packers do not have a pick in Rd 3. Not gonna be easy to get one even though they do have a ton of Day 3 picks to work with. Problem is they just aren't worth much so you'd practically have to give up all of them to get a Rd 3 pick outright.

The best option would be to trade down in Rd 2 and give up that first pick in Rd 4. That would leave you with a somewhat lower pick in Rd 2 and a pick in Rd 3 and you'd still have that late pick in Rd 4. That move might make sense if you really don't like what's left at #45.

The other option is to trade the first pick in Rd 4 plus a 5th Rd pick or two so you can slide into the tail end of Rd 3. Might be worth it if there is someone there at the end of Rd 3 that you really like and don't think will last until Saturday morning.

Any thoughts on Day 2 options or trades?

Edit - Ooops, this should have gone in the War Room. Thanks for adding your stuff "rp". We were probably both writing our stuff at about the same time.

Last edited:
Great evaluation 57. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment much more than it's good tonsee that there should be a decent player available in round 2.

I posted a thread in the warroom but makes sense to combine. Here's a list of guys that would make sense in the 2nd. Given the large group I can see trading down a bit and picking up some ammo for a move back into the 3rd.

Derrius Guice - RB
Nick Chubb - RB
Courtland Sutton - WR
Christian Kirk - WR
DJ Chark - WR
James Washington - WR
Dallas Goedart - TE
Ian Thomas - TE
Mike Gesicki - TE
Mark Andrews - TE
Connor Williams - OT/OG
Will Hernandez - OG
James Daniels - C/OG
Harold Landry - edge
Sam Hubbard - edge
Lorenzo Carter - edge
Josh Jackson - CB/S
Isaiah Oliver - CB
Carlton Davis - CB
Anthony Averett - CB
Donte Jackson - CB (slot)
Ronnie Harrison - S
Justin Reid - FS
Jessie Bates - FS

I see OG Braden Smith is still on the board. Packers had a long look/see with him.

Don't rule out Kemoko Turay (Edge) either, especially if GB decides to trade down from #45.

My guess is we end up with another DB....

Nah I think Gute takes a WR or TE here, I'm guessing TE. There will be a big run on the TE's rounds 2-3. We can grab a WR a little later, there will also be some OLB/edge projects in later rounds.

My thought is..................IF they trade down, then they may wait til later for an Edge prospect.

OL (G or T), like Braden Smith, could be in play in the 2nd, maybe TE. I'd actually like them to wait a little later for TE, and take Dalton Schultz or maybe even Chris Herndon.

I don't think the Packers are as concerned about WR (getting one this early), as many of us are. They may wait until Day 3 to address this group.

My day two board is here

Here’s who I want:

Harold Landry, Joshua Jackson, Israiah Oliver, Courtland Sutton, Derrius Guice

By position, here is my board:

OLB: Harold Landry, Sam Hubbard, Arden Key, Dorance Armstrong Jr., Lorenzo Carter,

WR: Courtland Sutton, D.J. Chark, Equanimeous St. Brown,

CB: Joshua Jackson, Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis, J.C. Jackson, Nick Nelson,

OT: Orlando Brown, Brian O’Neill,

S: Justin Reid, Ronnie Harrison,

RB: Derrius Guice, Ronald Jones II, Nick Chubb, Kerryon Johnson, Kalen Ballage, Jaylen Samuels

I also think Gute should trade back up into the second (or third) round.

Back