Cole Caufield's remarkable shot, and how it compares to his Badgers predecessors

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Eight former Badgers goalies, covering a time period from the late 1960s to the early 2010s, provided insight on who would challenge Caufield for that honor from their eras.

Continue reading...

There have been snipers, there have been garbagemen, but there've been few like Caufield.

30 goals in 31 games, 52 total points in the 20-21 season.

That is the most goals in a season* since Gary Shuchuk netted 41 in his 45 games of the 1988-89 season.

To find a Badger who scored more goals in as many games or fewer, only* Bert DeHate shows up on that list, putting the biscuit in the basket 47 times in 31 games back in 1967-68.

*Caveat: the record book only shows who got the most, there may be another player or two in those seasons with fewer goals than the top guys and more than Cole, but i'm not digging that deep.

For the record, Mark Johnson's 48 goals (42 games) in 77-78 and 90 points (40 games (41-49)) in 78-79 are still the program records.

Finishing with 52 points, Cole was just behind Derek Stepan in '09-'10 who had 54 in 41 games (12-42 (a natty year)), Pavelski's 56 (23-33) in 43 games in '05-'06 (another natty year), and Dany Heatley's 57 in the 2000-2001 campaign.

And for whatever it's worth, Blake Geoffrion scored 28 goals in 40 games when he won the Hobey in 2010.

This guy is the best natural scorer we've seen in Cardinal and White since at least the Heater.

He'd have had a top 5 season all-time if the schedule carried the normal number of games.

I think we'll be hearing a lot about Caufield in the NHL in a couple of years.

I think we'll be hearing a lot about Caufield in the NHL in a couple of years.
No need to wait a couple of years.

He'll likely take the ice on Tuesday when Montreal plays Ottawa.

I don't think you're going to hear that much about him. He's good. I don't believe he's carry a team good. Bemidji stuffed him. I think the NHL will stuff him.

I hope he does good because I am a Canadiens fan and I want the drought to end. If it does, he'll be a piece of the pie. But he's not a grinder, he's not a defender, and his offense just isn't that good. But, wish him the best.

I think he'll get stronger and be a decent player. Not a super star, but one who will be known as a nifty shooter.

Back