Coaching Help

TW

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I was in the military, my cousin, who was the starting QB for the Badgers, along with three of his friends, who were also on the team, and went on to NFL careers, visited Northwestern Wisconsin on a fishing trip, just before their fall camp started. While up there, they stayed at my Mom and Dad's place, and grabbed places on the floor, with sleeping bags.

On the second day, there was lightning early in the afternoon so they didn't go out on the lake. Instead, they went into town, and saw that our high school team was practicing football. They decided to go watch.

As they watched, they saw things kids weren't doing, but should, and started giving them advice from the sidelines. The head coach came over and asked them; "Who they were, thinking they could coach a football team." My cousin told the coach that they played college football, and meant no harm. Then, when pressed for their names, they answered. The coach was totally amazed. Four starters from a starting team that was nationally ranked.

They not only stayed for the rest of the practice, but went out on the field, and helped players with their techniques. It was a clinic, not only for the players, but the coaches as well, since they were all teachers who didn't play football beyond their own high school days. What they were taught about the game, as coaches in those days, was very minimal.

There's something to remember here. No matter how brilliant we may think we are, there's always going to be someone around who knows a little more than us, and we need to learn to listen to what they have to say. None of us are exempt.

WingT22

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I was in the military, my cousin, who was the starting QB for the Badgers, along with three of his friends, who were also on the team, and went on to NFL careers, visited Northwestern Wisconsin on a fishing trip, just before their fall camp started. While up there, they stayed at my Mom and Dad's place, and grabbed places on the floor, with sleeping bags.

On the second day, there was lightning early in the afternoon so they didn't go out on the lake. Instead, they went into town, and saw that our high school team was practicing football. They decided to go watch.

As they watched, they saw things kids weren't doing, but should, and started giving them advice from the sidelines. The head coach came over and asked them; "Who they were, thinking they could coach a football team." My cousin told the coach that they played college football, and meant no harm. Then, when pressed for their names, they answered. The coach was totally amazed. Four starters from a starting team that was nationally ranked.

They not only stayed for the rest of the practice, but went out on the field, and helped players with their techniques. It was a clinic, not only for the players, but the coaches as well, since they were all teachers who didn't play football beyond their own high school days. What they were taught about the game, as coaches in those days, was very minimal.

There's something to remember here. No matter how brilliant we may think we are, there's always going to be someone around who knows a little more than us, and we need to learn to listen to what they have to say. None of us are exempt.
Not sure what you're trying to do here? I spent 32 years in coaching HS and D-3 fb. At no time would I ever allow what you just described happen with my players or coaches to occur. I can tell you that you can get in deep $#%^& for allowing folks that are not on your staff via an official school board action to coach your kids, in some states you'll get disciplined for that.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Not sure what you're trying to do here? I spent 32 years in coaching HS and D-3 fb. At no time would I ever allow what you just described happen with my players or coaches to occur. I can tell you that you can get in deep $#%^& for allowing folks that are not on your staff via an official school board action to coach your kids, in some states you'll get disciplined for that.
In GA or FL that could make players ineligible among other things. Good point. I know the WIAA has some really gnarly rules now about such things. I don't think TW was going with that as much as another point but again valid issue.

GBP4EVER

Draft Guru
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
WI high school football is just a sport to play after school nothing more. Most these coaches are teachers or parents who help volunteer. Down south it's a religon up here you just go on Friday night to see your kid play.

TW

Reaction score
Rest assured, it was more than likely before you coached, and back in the days when coaches were nothing more than teachers who were willing to take on the chore, despite knowing damned near nothing about coaching.

I can remember my first HS coach. The first year we had football. He never played the game, and didn't even watch it. Everything he was teaching came from a book on football. He had one assistant, and he only did it for the $150 he got paid for the season. He didn't even know the rules. As far as teaching fundamentals, they were lacking.

So, I don't see it from the puritanical point you're projecting. I see it from the reality of a system that was broken by the misguided concept that coaches had to be teachers, even though they were not qualified.

But, then again, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Rest assured, it was more than likely before you coached, and back in the days when coaches were nothing more than teachers who were willing to take on the chore, despite knowing damned near nothing about coaching.

I can remember my first HS coach. The first year we had football. He never played the game, and didn't even watch it. Everything he was teaching came from a book on football. He had one assistant, and he only did it for the $150 he got paid for the season. He didn't even know the rules. As far as teaching fundamentals, they were lacking.

So, I don't see it from the puritanical point you're projecting. I see it from the reality of a system that was broken by the misguided concept that coaches had to be teachers, even though they were not qualified.

But, then again, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
A couple of things TW, in WI they are still only teachers, it's like an extra $2000 or less a year. WI doesn't have full-time coaching like Texas or the south for any sport... mostly like that in the midwest and several other states.

Mr WingT was a heck of a science teacher ;)

I have to call BS on your "never played FB" comment because even back in the late '70s and 80's all the HS FB coaches in WI barring maybe 2% had played college FB at the D3 or 2 levels. Does it happen? Yes, sure does but mostly with very small programs that are on the brink of folding programs or where something extreme went on. The norm today is that not only the HC but his top two assistants played ball at a high level and have backgrounds even in small midwestern towns. ( declining numbers are a big deal everywhere outside the south)

Not dissing on your post sir, just clarifying how things are in terms of staffing in the past 3-4 decades. hof(

TW

Reaction score
You need to go back more than 4 decades. I'm talking about back about 7 decades. As for the BS on them never playing, I'm stating facts. Unless you were there, and understood what was happening, don't presume someone is lying. That, sir, is the BS.

Anyhow. I don't really care whether or not either one of you believe it. I know the facts.

TW

Reaction score
Clarifying a point. The two coaches who we had in HS football played basketball and baseball. Neither - if I recall correctly - even had a minor in PE. In that era, being a teacher and having gone to college was about all that was necessary. I think it was in the 70s, when most states began putting together actual training programs for prospective coaches. Can't be sure on that, but that sounds about right.

That, by the way, was over two decades after I played HS ball.