Clock is ticking for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Clock is ticking for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

This is a really good article. Shows how complex the issue is. The video clip at the top is interesting too. His & Hers is the only ESPN show I pay any attention to anymore. But excellent point in the article and one aspect of draft & develop I think hurts Packers. It takes time to develop and when you have so many mid to late picks that don't develop you have no depth. If you have no depth you can't handle any injuries.

This, of course, is a problem most every NFL franchise would love to have. Despite their issues, the Packers still won 11 games and were within one overtime of appearing in their second consecutive NFC Championship Game. To be clear, their challenge is to find a way to transition from "very good" to "elite."

It might not be reasonable to expect general manager Ted Thompson to change his approach after all these years, and it's impossible to know if it would make a difference anyway. But the Packers no longer have the luxury of planning for a seemingly indefinite future with the NFL's best passer. The events of this season, and Father Time, should add a new urgency to their offseason.

Aaron will be 33 near the end of next year. That isn't old in today's NFL. Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Palmer and Rivers are older than AR and still play at a high level. Last year Romo at age 34 had a nice season. If AR stays healthy he could play at this level another 5/6 years. I don't think we are that far away either. Last year we were a handful of freaky plays away from the SB. If we address a couple of issues this offseason there is no reason to believe we won't be a favorite yet again in 2016.

Back