Cheese Curds, 3/2: Packers can move on to free agency in comfortable spot

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
GettyImages-489552698.0.jpg

With Mason Crosby now under contract, one of Green Bay's biggest offseason needs is solved and at a reasonable price for 2016.

Yesterday, the Franchise Tag deadline came and went without the Green Bay Packers placing a tag on kicker Mason Crosby. The reason for that decision became clear just hours after the deadline, as Crosby reportedly agreed to a new four-year contract with the Packers which will pay him just over $4 million per year.

That deal cancels out one of the Packers' biggest question marks of the offseason, leaving the kicking game in good hands (or feet, depending on your choice of metaphor). This deal also has a fairly small effect on the Packers' salary cap for 2016 - in fact, Crosby's cap hit next year ($2.4 million) will be about a million dollars less than it was in 2014 or 2015.

All that means that the Packers have plenty of financial flexibility to flex their muscles in free agency this year - if of course they are so inclined. The so-called "legal tampering" period, in which teams and agents for other teams' free agents, opens up on Monday, with free agency officially kicking off at 4:00 PM next week Wednesday.

Here's a look at some of the other news going around Green Bay today.

Packers could look to trade up in draft | Packersnews.com
They could also stand pat or move back too. The more relevant piece of this argument is the thought that the Packers might need to move up if they really want to get one of the top inside linebackers in this year's class.

Brett Hundley's progress produces praise | Packers.com
As we discussed last week, Mike McCarthy's comments about Hundley and Scott Tolzien suggest that the team is ready to move forward without the former Badger.

That time I wet the bed at the Green Bay Packers' team hotel - ESPN
Good lord, Matt Bowen...that's quite a story.

Packers need to figure out if WR Jeff Janis can 'take that next step' - ESPN
If you're wondering just why Janis has taken a while to develop, remember that he was "told to run deep and out-jump everyone" in college, and he needs to really learn an NFL route tree and how to read defenses.

If Packers look for hybrid defender, Jeremy Cash fits the bill | 247sports.com
Cash's 6-foot, 212-pound frame is similar to that of the Cardinals' Deone Bucannon, and he seems to possess a similar, physical skill set as an in-the-box safety or hybrid linebacker.

Sam Bradford agrees to 2-year, $36 million contract with Eagles - SBNation.com
The fact that Bradford is the 15th-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL at $18 million per year speaks to the ridiculousness of quarterback contracts in this day and age.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Kind of gross story about Matt Bowen there.

In Raji, start looking for a halfway decent passcatching TE that will last two years.

BJ was very good until he tweaked his groin.

In Raji, start looking for a halfway decent passcatching TE that will last two years.

BJ was very good until he tweaked his groin.
Indeed, Raji was good early. And at his best, he's a rare 3-down NT/DT who can hold up against double team vs the run and push the pocket in nickel. But he hasn't been at his best consistently for a while now.

My suspicion has been that Raji is out looking for max money, no matter the team, since he has blown opportunities at that before and he's getting up in age. Never succeeded fully in his prove-it years. I'd love to draft his replacement and sign Raji to a 1 year deal. He'd likely wanna avoid that.

A strong DL draft should lower his market, as well as past motivational and injury issues.

Indeed, Raji was good early. And at his best, he's a rare 3-down NT/DT who can hold up against double team vs the run and push the pocket in nickel. But he hasn't been at his best consistently for a while now.

My suspicion has been that Raji is out looking for max money, no matter the team, since he has blown opportunities at that before and he's getting up in age. Never succeeded fully in his prove-it years. I'd love to draft his replacement and sign Raji to a 1 year deal. He'd likely wanna avoid that.

A strong DL draft should lower his market, as well as past motivational and injury issues.

Raji won't take 1 year deal. My guess he wants 3-4 year deal paying around 4-5 a year.

Raji won't take 1 year deal. My guess he wants 3-4 year deal paying around 4-5 a year.

I think you are spot on in terms of what he wants, but will he find it? As salmar says, the draft is deep at DL and Raji hasn't always put forth his best effort on game days. He may find the market limited to something more in the Guion type range (3-4mil/yr) but with more guaranteed money.

I think you are spot on in terms of what he wants, but will he find it? As salmar says, the draft is deep at DL and Raji hasn't always put forth his best effort on game days. He may find the market limited to something more in the Guion type range (3-4mil/yr) but with more guaranteed money.
Could be a Chad Clifton scenario. Test the market, see what's out there. Then come back and sign. We shall see.

But the last time he tested the market it was soft. His camp knows the open market value. And again numbet of years is irrelevant. At this point it's guarantee money and I don't expect him to get at WTF offer

Back