Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is it boys and girls, the final regular season poll. It's been a tough slog from Sept 20 when I put up the first rankings after the first 3 games. Here's where we started and here's where we ended up last time I put this together: click

I have a bit of a soapbox I'd like to step on, and I was going to let Joel Klatt do it for me, but I'm not embedding a video that features Colin Cowherd in any manner.

You're welcome.

Anyway, just so you know, I think it's a travesty that teams like Bama, Auburn, and Clemson set their schedule the way they did for mid-November. Alabama. Now, at least when Wisconsin locked in the games they played against Utah St and BYU (in 2012) both of those teams finished in the top 20 (who'd have figured BYU would drop off the face of the earth?). But Alabama garnered more first place votes from the AP (and Miami lost some) for laying a whooping on the 40th best team in the FCS... which is outrageous.

I digress. There's not a whole lot more to say about some of the teams at the top, and no real movement (just some grief being handed out), but you all come here for my list and astute analysis, and the occasional joke at the expense of hated rivals. Speaking of rivals, most of these teams have a Rivalry Game coming up, some of which are very important!

1. Miami (10-0; 7-0 ACC) - I don't care (much (well, a lot actually, but you didn't schedule Mercer)) that you were down 14-28 at home in the third quarter to Virginia, you rallied to put up 30 unanswered, and managed to break out the turnover chain once again in a crucial spot. Are you the best team in the country? You get a chance to nail down an undefeated regular season against the team that tripped up Clemson last year. Up next: a Friday night tilt @ Pitt (and don't forget that Clemson was tripped up on a Friday night game this year!) (last: 2)
  2. Wisconsin (11-0; 8-0 B1G) - A classic, cold, snowy, Big Ten slugfest between two stellar defenses and not Mercer. Seriously, Michigan has a ton of talent on the front 7. But it was the Badgers who were able to get the ball moving more effectively (eventually) after spending most of the game starting drives inside their own 20. That changed late, Taylor started gashing, and Alex Hornibrook showed outstanding resolve and some excellent ball placement. Jonathan Taylor has now been named B1G Freshman of the Week 7 times, and put up 130+ yards on a defense that was averaging just over 50 and only gave up 103 to Saquan Barkley. And credit where a ton of credit is due, Jimmy Leonhard and staff have shown a remarkable ability to adapt and adjust, especially at halftime. Now 11-0 for the first time in school history, the Badgers enter Axe Week with a lot more at stake than Paul Bunyan's prized possession. The Gophers are looking to spoil and become bowl eligible. Up next: @ rival Minnesota (last: 3)
  3. Alabama (11-0; 8-0 SEC) - You freaking kidding me? You survived a close on last week, have Auburn coming up, and figured why not have a glorified scrimmage in between. By the way, I've figured out how to factor in games against FCS opponents for my seeding. Win the Iron Bowl and I'll put you back at #1. But I have nothing else to say to you right now. Up next: @ rival Auburn (last: 1)
  4. Oklahoma (10-1; 6-1 BigXII) - boy, that was a tough one...and the only thing I hoped for didn't come to fruition. OkState and WVU both lost, so the BigXII Championship at Jerry World will feature the Sooners no matter what. Apparently there is still some convoluted way where their opponent could be any one of 5, but they all involve TCU losing to Baylor, who, by the way, should not be fielding a football program this year. I mean, it's tough to find other things to talk about the week after a team plays Kansas, who is not Mercer (but who would win that game?) OU has clinched a spot in the BigXII Conference Championship. Up next: vs WVU (last: 4)
  5. Auburn (9-2; 6-1 SEC) - You get the bump for at least having the balls to take on a FBS team (LA-Monroe, still the 103rd best FBS team), and it was competitive early on, too! So thanks for 15 exciting minutes of football before the rout was on. I'm conflicted on the Iron Bowl, but I am very interested in how the various story lines will play out. This could be a big on. Up next: vs rival Alabama (last: 6)
  6. Georgia (10-1; 7-1 SEC) - Did you guys know that Kentucky was 7-3 before this game? I certainly didn't, not that they've beaten anybody (does 4-6 Florida impress anyone?). But still, it was a conference game at a crucial time in the college football schedule. Surviving a trip to in-state rival GTech is the next crucial moment in your schedule. Up next: @ Georgia Tech (last: 7)
  7. Clemson (10-1; 7-1 ACC) - Like Alabama, you get a brief drop not just for scheduling an FCS team for this part of November, but a bad FCS team (The Citadel is #58 in the lower division). Don't blow it on your trip to Columbia. Up next: @ rival South Carolina (last: 5)
  8. USC (10-2; 8-1 Pac-12) - you played rival UCLA this past weekend, and managed to get the other team's coach fired. Nice job! Your regular season is over, so enjoy your #8 ranking into conference championship weekend, where your opponent is still TBD! Up next: BYE (last: 8)
  9. Ohio State (9-2; 7-1 B1G) - congrats on maintaining the Illibuck (a small, wooden turtle for those of you not up to speed on your Big Ten trophy games) by squashing rival? Illinois. Now comes a real test as you head up to Ann Arbor to take on 'that team up north' and put your 5-game win streak on the line in a game that Fox was heavily promoting during the Badger game on Saturday. With Michigan's QB woes, I don't see the streak ending, though, and maybe a little heat getting turned on Harbaugh? Ohio State has clinched the Big Ten East. Up next: @ rival Michigan (last: 9)
  10. Notre Dame (9-2) - you survived a rivalry game against a beat-up Navy team, and have another classic opponent on the docket. You're also getting some primetime coverage, but that could just be because you're on the West Coast? Anybody know which bowl games are drooling over ND? Up next: @ rival Stanford (last: 10)
  11. Penn State (9-2; 6-2 B1G) - I waaaaas going to bump you up over Notre Dame going into halftime of your game against Nebraska, but then the 2nd half played out and I was just mightily confused. The Nittany Lions dominated the first 30 minutes, leading 42-10, then gave up 34 points to the Huskers in the 2nd half. Nebraska amassed 400 yards of offense through the air...and the last time they scored this many points was in week 1 when their opponent was Arkansas State (and even then they only scored 43...). Granted, it was still 42-24 going into the 4th quarter, but I don't know if you just went to sleep for a little bit or what. Anyway, you're staying where you are. Up next: @ Maryland (last: 11)
  12. TCU (9-2; 6-2 BigXII) - a solid thumping of Texas Tech sets up your final regular season game in The Revivalry (which again, shouldn't be happening as BU football should have been shut down). Here's the long and the short of it: win, and you play OU for the BigXII title and the autobid to my tournament. Lose, well, you lose to Baylor and you'll have bigger (and far more tangible) problems than my fictitious postseason bracket. The Horned Frogs would also need the right combination of teams to lose in order to secure their spot to Dallas. Up next: a Friday night hosting of rival Baylor (last: 13)
  13. Washington (9-2; 6-2 Pac-12) - would you believe me if I told you that the Badgers have a quality win over the best FBS team in Utah? I can't imagine what it would be like to have an entire state be that bad, so thank goodness that Southern Utah State and Weber State (both in the FCS) are sitting at 9-2 otherwise there would be a lot more Mormon tears in those oh so scanty Mormon beers, especially since Washington had to fight tooth and nail and score 10 points in the last minute of the game to win when the Utes had plenty of chances to put this one away. Not necessarily where you want to be at this point in the season. Washington needs to win the Apple Bowl and have Stanford lose to Notre Dame in order to claim their side of the conference. Up next: vs rival Washington State (last: 14)
  14. UCF (10-0; 7-0 AAC) - smashing Temple has to feel nice, especially since you've got an opportunity here to make a statement with your next two games. I'm sure you would have preferred if your next opponent hadn't dropped a winnable game already. I don't remember how the current top non-playoff bowl games are determined, but UCF has a shot here to make it to a nice one. Up next: a Friday night hosting of rival South Florida (last: 15)
  15. Memphis (9-1; 6-1 AAC) - I think you see what I'm doing here. Also, OSU needed to drop a little further, and I seriously considered breaking my rule on moving teams that didn't play. But the Tigers dropping 66 points is something, and while the defense did enough to win, it didn't do anything impressive. But the Tigers did clinch the AAC West. Up next: vs East Carolina (last: 17)
  16. Washington State (9-2; 6-2 Pac-12) - inactive
  17. Mississippi State (8-3; 4-3 SEC) - this didn't seem right, but did you know that MS State is 5th in the SEC West behind A&M and LSU? It surprised me. The bulldogs get this spot, though, for more than likely sealing the fate of the Burt Bielema experiment in Arkansas. Who'd have guessed that when Bart left UW for Arkansas for the stated purpose of more $$ for assistants and the opportunity for national titles, that Paul Chryst would have the Badgers poised to do big things, and have success replacing 3 DCs in 3 years? Certainly not Jen... :) We'll never forget you Brent. Up next: vs rival Ole Miss (last: NR)
  18. Oklahoma State (8-3; 5-3 BigXII) - An ugly loss to K-State all but eliminates the Pokes from a chance at redemption in the Big XII Championship. I had a serious conversation with a good friend still in the know down there, and we brought up that even though he's been extremely successful in a place that's only known that kind of glory for two seasons in its history, it may be time for Gundy to go. These bad losses that pop up every season and his terrible Bedlam record (2-9 when 5-6 of those times OSU had the better team) might be enough to get ol T. Boone Pickens thinking. Kansas comes to town for the regular season finale, and heads may roll for real if the unthinkable happens. (last: 12)
Welcome Back: Mississippi State
Dropped out: Army (I give you special recognition, and look at what you go and do...)

Still in the running for my auto bid:
AAC:
UCF/South Florida vs Memphis
ACC: Clemson vs Miami

BigXII: OU vs TCU/ISU/OSU/WVU
B1G: Wisconsin vs Ohio State
C-USA: FL-Atlantic vs North Texas
MAC: Akron/Ohio vs NIU/Toledo/C.Mich
MWC: Boise State vs Fresno State
Pac-12: USC vs Stanford/Wash/Wazzou
SEC: Georgia vs Alabama/Auburn
Sun Belt: Ark St/Troy/App St/GA St

Thanks again for a great evaluation, and reasoning for how they ranked.

I'm tired of hearing ACC and SEC by their supporters. Here's a break down of who plays who, and the only reason they show up higher in the rankings is that they are very weak in the bottom half, and feast off of them and teams that resemble how Wisconsin played Marquette for so long, and it was a guaranteed push over each year.

Mercer? Prime example of what I'm saying.

Here's the "who played who" over the years, along with this year's match ups. It totally destroys how they talk ACC and SEC as being so superior. They really aren't, and their schedules are pretty much cup cakes. At the most, three competitive games a year, not 6 to 8 like the Big 10.

Conference vs conference - Who's tougher?

Back