Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Couple of top 5 teams go down from last week, quite a few ranked teams had games that were postponed or cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. Still only at 16 in the rankings after week 3, but most teams move into conference play starting week 4 so maybe there'll be more to write about.

Get to last week's poll by clicking here.

The Top Sixteen
  1. Alabama—Holy shit (last: 2)
  2. Clemson—Alabama dominated a conference opponent on the road, they get to jump over the Tigers this week. Clemson doesn’t have a chance to do the same next week, as the Aggies go to Tuscaloosa while Clemson goes to Georgia Tech. (last: 1)
  3. Ohio State—they get to come out of the pit, because while Urban Meyer is still a sleezeball, this isn’t like Baylor where a good portion of the team and coaching staff were in on this. They leveled TCU on the road, that’s a good win. Why are you playing Tulane next? (last: 128)
  4. Oklahoma—they exorcised their demonic cyclones in a great game to watch that really wasn’t over til half-way through the 4th. Please don’t pull any of your stupid “home of the Sooners” crap when Army visits on Saturday. Respect the flag. (last: 6)
  5. LSU—I admittedly did not see this one, but it sounds like there was a little bit of controversy and good hard football. Not likely to happen next week. (last: 9)
  6. Georgia—the Dawgs don’t fall for anything they did except having a weak schedule and a weak division. Like I said last week, things don’t get more impressive anytime soon. (last: 4)
  7. Stanford—yaaawn. Though I would have expected more against UC Davis, the Cardinal get a chance to impress with a trip to Eugene on Saturday (looks like the national ABC night game). (last: 7)
  8. Notre Dame—Vanderbilt may not be terrible, but ND really played down to their level at home. Though what really is the level of offense to expect from the Irish this year? 22 points is right in their wheelhouse so far. (last: 8)
  9. Auburn—nothing to say that I didn’t say for LSU, these Tigers can’t afford another letdown with Arkansas coming. (last: 3)
  10. Virginia Techinactive
  11. Mississippi State—smoked another small school (last: 11)
  12. West Virginiainactive
  13. Oklahoma State—the wheeling and dealing continues at Boone Pickens Stadium, but the defense has quietly been the story of the season so far. The Pokes generally give up more points to the nobodies they play early than they have this year, and had a good showing against Boise St. (last: bubble)
  14. UCFinactive
  15. Penn St—I didn’t know Kent State had a football team. (last: 15)
  16. Wisconsin—they got smashed, plain and simple. Beaten at their own game, hindered by a couple of egregious missed calls on the last drive, and flatly outcoached, a very strange game from the PC Badgers. They’d have slipped a bit anyway had they won, but there’s a big hill to climb to get back to where they want to be starting Saturday in Iowa City. (last: 5)
Dropped out: TCU, Boise St
On the bubble: Oregon, Washington, Kansas, South Florida
By for now: Arizona State

Things I noticed
So Kansas laid one on Rutgers (55-14 (that score would have represented 1/3rd of the Jayhawks total points last season)), Maryland gets blown out by Temple a week after beating Texas (an annual tradition it seems), but the Longhorns turn around and beat the snot out of USC. By the way, tickets for the Minnesota-Maryland game this weekend can be got for $2

The Pit of Despair
No longer will the dregs and scum of college football dwell here (because thinking about some of that stuff just pisses me off) but rather this will be a home for fanbases and teams that took a bad beat this past weekend. Your Pit Dwellers:
Florida State (couldn't figure out that 2-3 zone), Nebraska (what, did you think national prominence was going to return overnight?), and Arkansas (the Mean Green were a bunch of bullies).

Adding Maryland and Rutgers to the Big 10 was a mistake. They aren't party ready, may never be. I smile when I realize that Bielema left Arkansas totally mired in problems. He would have done the same at Wisconsin, if given a chance. Nebraska is too busy talking about those old Texas and Oklahoma rivalry games, where they were the only three teams in their conference who could recruit and win games. They fell on hard times because they weren't as good as touted. Just mediocre, playing in a league of mediocrity being the best. Kind of like watching Boise State beat up on the weaklings that were in their conference. They're hurting now too, with tough competition.

Adding Maryland and Rutgers to the Big 10 was a mistake. They aren't party ready, may never be. I smile when I realize that Bielema left Arkansas totally mired in problems. He would have done the same at Wisconsin, if given a chance. Nebraska is too busy talking about those old Texas and Oklahoma rivalry games, where they were the only three teams in their conference who could recruit and win games. They fell on hard times because they weren't as good as touted. Just mediocre, playing in a league of mediocrity being the best. Kind of like watching Boise State beat up on the weaklings that were in their conference. They're hurting now too, with tough competition.
Rutgers and Maryland we’re plays to increase the footprint of BTN nothing more nothing less. I guess you can make a case Maryland helps from a basketball perspective. Nebraska’s issue was it’s choice at HC. Callahan and Pelini and Riley to be specific. Given time Frost will be ok

1. Alabama— They are loaded, at LSU will be very interesting
  2. Georgia — Balanced and talented
  3. Ohio State— Maybe the best team Urb has had there, Clearly best QB he has had. Loss of Bosa is big
  4. Oklahoma— Love that offensive scheme
  5. Clemson — Good but not dominate but ACC is weak
  6. LSU— That game at Death Valley vs Bama will be fun
  7. Stanford—Well coached, solid
  8. Notre Dame—Not impressed, upset alert at Wake
  9. Auburn— Mulligan vs LSU
  10. Virginia Tech—Defense will carry them
  11. West Va— Grier in Heisman conversation
  12. Miss St - Solid team, but schedule not favorable
  13. Penn State - Love the QB play and gets OSU at home
On The Bubble : Michigan - Repeat of last weeks comment, defense is really good and if they get QB play look out

Back