Carriere-Williams announces transfer from Badgers

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Wisconsin Badgers will take on Western Kentucky on Friday night in the season opener. One expected big contributor in the game was sophomore cornerback Dontye Carriere-Williams.

But, just two days prior to that game, Carriere-Williams announced he is transferring from the program.

“ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” ~ Philippians 4:13 pic.twitter.com/pjV5CS0B04

— Dontye C. Williams (@2dcw9) August 30, 2018

The sophomore spent most of the offseason with the No. 1 defense. He also came in to the season as the most experienced member of the cornerback group — putting up 30 tackles (22 solo), six pass breakups and an interception last year as a redshirt freshman.

But, his grip on a starting role was loosened as fall camp went along.

By the end of camp Carriere-Williams was not listed as a starter. Instead, he was a backup. Getting the starting roles were fellow sophomore Caesar Williams and redshirt freshman Faion Hicks.

It wasn’t a surprising move from the Badgers coaching staff, as they hinted that Carriere-Williams needed more consistency to keep his starting role.

Defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard hinted at that after the press saw Carriere-Williams playing with the second-team defense earlier in camp.

“It’s just consistency,” Leonhard told reporters at the time. “The highs are high, and they’ve been high. It’s just consistency and effort in practice, and just continuing to push that.

“I like some of the things he’s done, but I just want to see more.”

Putting two and two together and it’s clear that Carriere-Williams hadn’t given the coaching staff enough to give him the starting job he coveted all offseason.

Carriere-Williams was granted a full release from his scholarship and will seek out playing time elsewhere. Where that ends up is anyone’s guess at this point, but he will have to sit out this season and have two years of eligibility left at his new destination.

Continue reading...

I hate seeing kids leave the program like this. It makes potential recruits question whether they want to be there or not. Let's hope this was on his shoulders, not on those of the coaching staff.

I hate seeing kids leave the program like this. It makes potential recruits question whether they want to be there or not. Let's hope this was on his shoulders, not on those of the coaching staff.
Nah it just shows this kid is a quitter. When he can't have the starting job handed to him he decides to take his ball and go home.

#1 to call kids a quitter is not fair, we have no idea what went into his decision to leave, could have been multiple things including playing and relationships with the staff. The staff specially Leonhard called him out so maybe that did not sit well. #2 transfers happen in all programs, and it wont be the last time it happens in Madison, and they happen for all reasons. Next man up move on

Last edited:
Surprised. Why now? It's quite possible he would have gotten extensive playing time and might still have become a starter down the road. Leaving now will certainly leave coaches on other programs wondering if GBP is right. Will any top level program want him? He may have to look for a spot on a lower level program.

Back