Can Bradrick Shaw be the answer to Wisconsin Badgers run game issues?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
607310498-150x150.jpg

Tell us if you’ve heard this story before — Corey Clement is out injured, Taiwan Deal has issues with his ankles and lower legs and Dare Ogunbowale has yet to breakout.

One would think we were about talking last season. Instead, a lack of health at running back has created an opportunity that may not have been there for redshirt freshman Bradrick Shaw.

In his first two games of action for the Wisconsin Badgers, Bradrick Shaw has lived up to his high recruiting ranking and his impressive offer sheet (Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Nebraska). He rushed nine times for 74 yards and a touchdown in garbage time against Akron, fully showcasing his vision, power, and speed.

On Saturday, he saw an expanded role with Corey Clement (out with an ankle injury for the second time) and Taiwan Deal getting hurt.

The offense was struggling to move the football, in large part due to Ogunbowale’s ineffectiveness between the tackles. So Shaw took over as the workhorse.

He was impressive, carrying the ball 15 times for 62 yards. He showed good patience, followed his blockers, and exploded hard through the holes when they presented themselves.

“I thought he was good. I thought he ran hard. I think that’s kind of who he is,” said Wisconsin Head Coach Paul Chryst after the game.

He did have a horrible goal line fumble, but he is a freshman. He made a mistake, and unless it happens again, it’s nothing to lose sleep over. Most importantly, he responded to his mistake by staying composed and continuing to run with with confidence.

Aside from one play, he proved he is game ready and is superior to Ogunbowale between the tackles.

Shaw, only a redshirt freshman, has given Wisconsin fans a sneak peek of what is still to come. However, even Shaw hasn’t been able to shake the injury bug that has hit the Badgers running back group this season.

His name was a surprising addition to the injured list on Monday, has he was listed as questionable with a shoulder injury.

With Michigan State on Saturday, Wisconsin faces a real possibility that Ogunbowale would be the only healthy running back for the Badgers.

If ever there was a time for Shaw to make a statement, getting work and showcasing strength against the Spartans would be that time.

Shaw is obviously a gifted runner, and will only get better with time. But, the Badgers may not have time for him to just ease in to what may be an expanded role in the coming years. They may need him here and now…as long as he is healthy.

It’s early, but those early results have already proven that Shaw has the talent to be the next great Wisconsin running back.

The post Can Bradrick Shaw be the answer to Wisconsin Badgers run game issues? appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

He could be a very good RB. The question is, can he do it against MSU. I'm not certain we can run against them effectively, unless we show that we have a top level passing game.

Until we prove we can pass, expect 8 in the box.

Exactly TW. The last 2 games, all you saw was 8 in the box almost the entire game other than obvious passing downs. I can't imagine MSU didn't pay attention. They will load the box and dare us to pass. It was almost comical against GSU last week. Heck, there were times you could really have counted 9 in the box their safeties were cheating inside so much.

The other thing that isn't helping is that the lack of speed at RB is allowing defenses to run somewhat tighter formations with their front 7 and even the safeties. It really limits what you can do between the tackles if you don't have the speed to take things outside against cheating LBs and Safeties. Maybe Shaw, who does have more speed can be part of the answer to that as well.

Back