Bucks need to trade Giannis

TW

Reaction score
Okay! I know that doesn't make sense. Or does it? Let's ask ourselves a few questions, and get some answers.

First off, the players surrounding him. Lopez is getting older. He's 35, and a free agent. Can you afford to give him an extended contract when he's going to be gone before it ends?

Second issue, Holiday. He's 32, and has indicated that he may well retire when his contract expires.

Third issue, Middleton. He has a $40 mill+ player option for the coming year, and can become a free agent after the coming season. Obviously he's going to want more. Somewhere in the $50 mill range, per year, and probably a 4 year deal. Way too costly for a guy who is going to spend time on the injured list, which has started to happen. He's 31, which means this would probably be his last contract, and way too costly.

Giannis is younger, but he's really a one-man-show. They give him the ball, and he creates shots going to the bucket. He's horrible at the free throw line. Hacking him is becoming the normal for teams. He'll get the buckets on the drives, but when he hits the free throw line, we lose points. He also possesses the ball so much that others stand around and watch the game. To be candid, at the end of games, it's actually better having him on the bench so they can't foul him, and watch while he misses free throws. On the average, I'm going to guess that the Bucks lose about 5 points per game because of those misses. How many games have we lost, within those margins, let's say of someone who can make at least 3, or four, of those free throws? In a lot of cases, it's a 5 point swing.

You've got to wonder what kind of compensation they could get, trading all three of these guys, plus letting Lopez go? Right now, they're pretty much at zero when it comes to draft picks. With the right deals, to the right teams, they could end up getting at least a couple of lottery picks, maybe even more, over the next 3 to 4 years. From that, a complete rebuild.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of this, because I'm not. Why? Because I would hate seeing them give it up, and let arguably one of the best players in the history of the league get away from them. I also enjoy watching them play through the year. But, I still wonder if breaking this team up and rebuilding isn't the right thing to do at this point. I don't want to see them be foolish like the Packers have been with Rodgers. You need to break eggs to make an omelette.

I rather go and try to build a young core around Giannis. Mostly for Giannis going to get draft picks that 99% will never pan out. You lose Giannis you once again become a middle to lower end team in the East and never compete again.

Back