Brewers Trade

So do we call him Hot Rod Tellez Like Rowdy Piper LOL

The Brewers have agreed to a trade acquiring first baseman Rowdy Tellez from the Blue Jays, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (Twitter link). Right-hander Trevor Richards is “believed” to be among the players going back to the Jays, Rosenthal adds.

Tellez, 26, brings another powerful left-handed bat to a Brewers club that recently lost first baseman Daniel Vogelbach to a hamstring injury. He’s shuffled between Triple-A and the big leagues with the Jays in recent seasons, at times looking like a possible long-term answer at first base/designated hitter for the Jays.

However, Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s shift across the diamond from third base to first base cut into Tellez’s opportunities, and the team’s signing of George Springer created a four-man carousel between the outfield and DH when everyone is at full strength; Springer, Lourdes Gurriel Jr., Teoscar Hernandez and Randal Grichuk are all in line for regular at-bats when the lineup is healthy. That, coupled with the fact that Tellez hit just .209/.272/.338 in 151 plate appearances earlier in the year when Springer was on the injured list, likely prompted to the Jays’ willingness to move on from Tellez.

Those struggles notwithstanding, Tellez is an intriguing bat on which to buy low for Milwaukee. He mashed at a .283/.346/.540 clip with eight homers and five doubles in 127 plate appearances with the Jays in 2020 and belted 21 home runs for them in 2019. Entering the season, Tellez carried .250/.309/.488 batting line with 33 homers, 33 doubles, a 6.9 percent walk rate and a 25.7 percent strikeout rate in 609 trips to the plate.

Tellez struggled in his first exposure to Triple-A ball as a 22-year-old back in 2017, but his production at that level has steadily increased; he’s hitting .298/.400/.638 in 55 plate appearances there so far in 2021 and batted .366/.450/.688 in 26 games (109 plate appearances) there back in 2019 as well.

The hope for the Brewers is surely that Tellez can provide an immediate boost at a position that has been a point of frustration so far in 2021. Keston Hiura struggled with the move to first base and has twice been optioned to Triple-A Nashville, although to his credit, Hiura has been hitting quite well since his latest recall. Vogelbach was helping to solidify the position with a strong showing for the first few weeks of June, but the aforementioned hamstring injury came with a recovery timetable of at least six weeks.

It’s not clear just how the Brewers will divide the playing time up — particularly once Vogelbach is healthy — but Hiura and Tellez ostensibly form an intriguing platoon. Tellez can also be freely optioned for the remainder of the current season, so he could be an up-and-down piece in Milwaukee for now, just as he was with the Jays. Looking longer term, he’s under club control for three more years beyond the current campaign and will be eligible for arbitration for the first time this winter.

Ok looking at his 2021 season we could not find better? He's struggling he's hitting .209 in 50 games before he was sent back to AAA by the Blue Jays.

I would have rather liked to see the 1B from Colorado that is on the block.

Ok looking at his 2021 season we could not find better? He's struggling he's hitting .209 in 50 games before he was sent back to AAA by the Blue Jays.

Probably thinking a change in scenery brings back this >>

Those struggles notwithstanding, Tellez is an intriguing bat on which to buy low for Milwaukee. He mashed at a .283/.346/.540 clip with eight homers and five doubles in 127 plate appearances with the Jays in 2020 and belted 21 home runs for them in 2019. Entering the season, Tellez carried .250/.309/.488 batting line with 33 homers, 33 doubles, a 6.9 percent walk rate and a 25.7 percent strikeout rate in 609 trips to the plate.

So call Stearns. Just because he on the block does not mean it’s a match

So call Stearns. Just because he on the block does not mean it’s a match
Still does this make the Brewers any better? Probably not most likely at best this is a guy to help fill in until Vogelbach gets healthy if this guy can be sent down to the minors I can see that happen.

I still think MKE needs to find a way to add a quality bat to the lineup. If this team could hit the ball decent it might be the best team in MLB right now.

Still does this make the Brewers any better? Probably not most likely at best this is a guy to help fill in until Vogelbach gets healthy if this guy can be sent down to the minors I can see that happen.

I still think MKE needs to find a way to add a quality bat to the lineup. If this team could hit the ball decent it might be the best team in MLB right now.
No way of knowing and this team who was supposed to be maybe a 500 team is 6 games in front. Best team in baseball no. But I’m enjoying the ride

No way of knowing and this team who was supposed to be maybe a 500 team is 6 games in front. Best team in baseball no. But I’m enjoying the ride
They have a top 5 pitching staff off the stats if this team could not be the 29th team i BA I think they would have the best record in MLB.

They have a top 5 pitching staff off the stats if this team could not be the 29th team i BA I think they would have the best record in MLB.
And the fact they are 6 games up is all that matters. Give me pitching over hitting in October any day. Enjoy the ride

Back