Brewers 2021-22 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Trade a guy who had a good pitching season at A ball for a guy who can't hit. Yep that's a Brewers trade.

Kid had a 1.20 WHIP. Basically an average arm at best. Nothing trade

This is exactly the type of trade the Brewers should be making. Grab a player from a team with a roster crunch. I know people on this site were hoping for a trade for this guy a year or two ago. This is worth the risk to see if he can rebound next year. The cost is another hard throwing RP to Tampa. Riefert looked good last year except for the walks. His control will hold him back if he cannot fix that.

I sure wish Stearns would stop trading pitching though. We are in serious short supply in the minors with the past few trades and the focus on hitting in the draft and international signings.

This reminds me a little bit of the Rowdy Tellez (age 26) acquisition during the season. Both are players that have had up and down MLB performances, but each had very strong minor league track records.

The Brewers are doing exactly what they should by continuing to acquire guys that are in the midst of the expected peak production years for hitters (ages 26-28). They obviously don’t always work out, but when they do they can pay big dividends. Some hitters within their expected peak ages when acquired in relatively low cost transactions during the Stearns era that have gone on to have an impact include Jesús Aguilar (age 27), Travis Shaw (age 26), Omar Narvaez (age 28).

I'm actually encouraged by Yelich saying his off-season was "normal" as opposed to "my back locked up again" or "I needed my knee cleaned up because it was bugging me."

Normal in ballplayer speak usually just means uneventful. His work ethic is top notch by all accounts and the fact that he never lost confidence speaks well for his mentality also being in a good spot.

Now we just have to hope that he stays healthy all year so he isn't constantly dealing with crap like he did in '20-'21. (And no, I'm not excusing all of his struggles by way of injury, but they played a part.)

I'm actually encouraged by Yelich saying his off-season was "normal" as opposed to "my back locked up again" or "I needed my knee cleaned up because it was bugging me."

Normal in ballplayer speak usually just means uneventful. His work ethic is top notch by all accounts and the fact that he never lost confidence speaks well for his mentality also being in a good spot.

Now we just have to hope that he stays healthy all year so he isn't constantly dealing with crap like he did in '20-'21. (And no, I'm not excusing all of his struggles by way of injury, but they played a part.)
Will see ever since he busted his knee he seems to be play being scared he will get hurt again and also is the back ever going to be right

Will see ever since he busted his knee he seems to be play being scared he will get hurt again and also is the back ever going to be right
Not scared. The back messed up his swing. He just seemed like he has late on so many pitches and was overthinking everything

Hiura this is make it or break it season for him. He falls back into not being able to hit his career could be done at best he might end up a journeyman getting limited time off the bench.

Back