Bohannon sinks Wisconsin Badgers in late 2nd half comeback by Iowa

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The last name Bohannon conjures up great thoughts for most in Wisconsin Badgers fandom. Not so much anymore, as Jordan Bohannon extended the misery of the Badgers with a late game-winner.

The younger brother of Jason and Zach did his older brother’s alma mater dirty, hitting a three-pointer with just under 10 seconds left to lift Iowa to a 59-57 victory at the Kohl Center.

WHAT A WIN FOR IOWA! THEY SCORE THE FINAL 7 IN MADISON INCLUDING THIS 3 FROM JORDAN BOHANNON! MUCH BETTER W/TITANIC MUSIC!
1f3c0.png
1f6a2.png
1f3bc.png
(@IowaHoops) pic.twitter.com/K3peGffu05

— Titanic Hoops (@TitanicHoops) March 3, 2017

It was the third-straight loss for the Badgers and fifth in the last six contests. As a result, Wisconsin has gone from in front of the Big Ten title race to allowing Purdue to clinch the outright title with this loss.

Bohannon had just 11 points on the night and shot just 3-of-9 from deep, but hit the shot that mattered at the end. He also undid all the work that Wisconsin senior guard Bronson Koenig did, scoring a game-high 19 points.

Three-point shooting was the story of the game, as Iowa hit at a 47 percent clip to Wisconsin’s 26 percent beyond the arc. No player was hotter beyond the arc for the Hawkeyes than Nicholas Baer, who was 4 of 5 from deep and led all Iowa players with 14 points.

All of that was made possible thanks to some downright awful offense from both teams throughout the contest. Both teams had extended scoring droughts that flipped what should’ve been good enough leads to maintain.

Wisconsin’s scoring drought that lasted nearly seven minutes of the first half turned this game on its head first. The Badgers led by six at 23-17 as Happ got a lay-in. The next time Wisconsin got a bucket was with 37 seconds left in the first half and UW’s six-point lead was a four-point deficit.

Iowa was able to capitalize on the nearly seven minute UW scoring drought, shooting 4-of-6 from the field. However, a series of four turnovers in the same span kept the Hawkeyes from completely blowing Wisconsin out of the water.

The Hawkeyes shot lights out from beyond the arc in the first half, knocking down seven of 11 attempts.

Naturally, the half ended as Nicholas Bear dropped in his fourth triple of the half, putting Iowa up 32-25 at the break. Bear finished with 12 points in the half on 4-of-4 shooting from beyond the arc.

Wisconsin was also able to keep within striking distance as the Hawkeyes struggled from inside the arc. Iowa shot just 33 percent from inside the arc (5-15) in the first half.

However, things were far over and Iowa was about to let the Badgers believe they could take home a much-needed victory.

After extending its lead to seven points at 34-27 early in the second half, Iowa returned the scoring drought favor. The Hawkeyes went on a nearly five-minute scoring drought of their own.

That drought allowed Wisconsin to flip the game from a two-point deficit to a 54-45 advantage with 4:15 to play in the game.

Wisconsin just simply couldn’t finish off the deal from there though, scoring three more points for the rest of the game.

UW had plenty of chances to ice the game away, including off an inbounds pass that Nigel Hayes twice nearly had stolen and eventually changed hands thanks to a bad inbounds pass anyway.

A turnover by UW with 2:01 to play lead to Iowa creeping within three points and sparked the Hawkeyes full comeback over the final 1:44 of the game. Even good defense turned in to a bad situation for the Badgers.

Ethan Happ gathered an important rebound with 33 seconds left and was quickly fouled. With the Badgers up by just three, he would miss both free throws and what could’ve been two possession game was turned in to a one-possession game.

It was the difference in victory or defeat ultimately, and it should’ve been as the Badgers were just 5-of-14 from the free throw line compared to Iowa’s 6-of-7 night.

Wisconsin will look to avoid a dubious feat on Senior Day on Sunday, looking to avoid becoming the only team to ever lose four straight games to unranked opponents will still ranked.

DEEP STAT: The Badgers tie the single-season record for most consecutive losses by a ranked team against an unranked team.

— NCAA March Madness (@marchmadness) March 3, 2017

It will have to happen against a red-hot Minnesota Gophers, who come in on an eight-game winning streak. Good luck on that one.

The post Bohannon sinks Wisconsin Badgers in late 2nd half comeback by Iowa appeared first on A Wisconsin Badgers Site.

Continue reading...

Stick a fork in 'em . . . they're done.

I love my Badgers, and hope I'm wrong, but I suspect they play only 3 more games and likely lose all 3. With the way the Goofers are playing I don't see Bucky winning on Sunday. They probably are a one and done in the Big-10 tournament. With their ranking tanking, I suspect they may get a 7 seed now for the NCAA tournament. That means you probably get a middle-of-the-pack Power-5 team and a very good chance at another loss. Perhaps bringing to a quick end the worst collapse by a Badger team in the last 20 years.

The seniors are not stepping up and teams have figured out how to stop Happ from taking over games - double him . . . often. Vitto Brown was a rising player last season, now looks pretty awful. Koenig looks slow and has trouble with pressure. That last shot last night he did not look confident. Take a 3 in rhythm Bronson. Instead he sort of ducks inside the arc and then unnecessarily fades away and short arms it. He's not the confident guy he was at the end of 2015 and for most of the 2015-16 season. Hayes is a mess - can't shoot from range, can't hit free throws, missing inside, and now to boot he's starting to turn it over. Showy is playing at a high level . . . but he's Showy and that means he can't carry or lead a team. The bench is giving him nothing, though Pritzl is playing with some energy and looks like he's making a play to start next fall.

Gard does not seem to have the team prepared or the team is not listening. Either way, it's time for this Senior group to move on. Some nice memories, but it's not ending well, which is too bad.

It's hard to figure out what is happening but part of me thinks there is some lack of discipline from the players and a couple of guys have lost all confidence. Hayes is just all over the place with his play - I think the NBA dreams got in his head and got him to start messing with his shot and everything else about his game to impress. He's regressed somewhat each year since his Soph season. Vitto is trying to do more than he can and thus is failing and losing confidence. Koenig is OK but not as good as he was last year. None of the sophomores look any better than last fall.

Happ is another head scratcher. I've said it before and this goes back to Bo Ryan. Why was Happ allowed to continue to use that awkward pee-wee league shooting style. You had a red-shirt year with him on board. That shot should have been completely deconstructed and rebuilt during that year. 100 free throws a day for about 450-500 days seems like it would have gotten him fixed. Are the coaches no longer working on these deficiencies or is Happ just too stubborn to try. He talked in a recent interview about how he was staying in college and not considering the draft because he needs a mid-range shot. Huh? How and when is that going to happen? You continue to shoot a flat footed set shot from the field, and free throws with an awkward form, 5-10 years after most kids have quit on something like that. How are you going to find a mid-range jumper and free throw stroke over one summer? If it was that doable, it should have been done 3 years ago.

Gard needs to get get the sophmores on track because there has been little elevation to their games this year and better hope like hell that his talented freshman class has a guy or two that is ready to compete at a high level next fall. He's going to earn his money next year and get a pass because it'll be a young group. He'll earn his next contract in 2018-19 because if he doesn't get the ship righted, Barry may pull the plug as one of his last acts as AD.

I was for Greg Gard becoming the head coach. Now I'm scratching my head, wondering if I was wrong. This team has digressed a great deal, and quite honestly does not play up to the ability it should.

I recorded the Iowa game and watched it twice. A couple of points. If you can't get the ball in bounds against a trap, you need to be working on it in practice. The Badgers were way worse than pathetic. They were totally incapable of making the inbounds plays. It was one of the major reasons they lost the game. The last 3 minutes was pure horrible!

Free throws. What in hell is wrong with Gard? Why would you leave Hayes and Happ on the floor at the end, knowing that when they get fouled, there's a chance you get nothing? That's poor coaching! Even worse, it's poor coaching that these guys haven't improved on their percentages. This is a matter of discipline, and practice.

I made a mistake last year when I said that Gard should be given the job. He's failed miserably at this point because he hasn't proven that he's in charge on the bench, and with officials. He's "Mister Nice Guy," to everyone, and that's not how you win. You need to have some fire, like Bo did. He didn't take crap from anyone - ever!

Either Gard gets it done, or he has to go. I don't care how long of a contract he has.

OK, let me be the first to wolf down a nice chunk of crow . . . I like mine barbequed slowly with a dry rub. They did not lose to Minnesota.

Although I was only half wrong. That first half against the Goofs was same old same old we've seen the past 4 weeks. They found a little something in the 2nd half. The defense tightened up a little and they hit a few shots and seemed quicker and more confident. Don't know if it was just the whole Senior Day/Last game at the Kohl that got them going or if they found something they can use going forward. I guess we'll see on Friday.

Agree TW that at this point Happ and Hayes just plain cannot be on the floor at the end of close games. Problem is with replacing both of them. What big do you have that you can count on. There aren't any who can both play and hit free throws. You really don't even want to use Iverson because he's not a very good FT shooter either. Leaves you with Brown, Koenig, Showy, Trice and Pritzl? That's pretty small on the defensive end though I'd be OK with that group on offense. You could spread teams out because all 3 of them can shoot the ball.

Second helping. I did not see them winning another game and now they've won a second one. Now, it's somewhat mitigated because they beat Indiana. It seems like they could roll out the ball and a couple of walk-ons and beat Indiana, a team they have totally dominated for a decade now.

They seem to have found a little something in that second half against Minny and it has carried over. Hopefully they can keep it going for another couple of weeks.

Back