Badgers basketball make signing of Tyler Wahl official

I understand what you're saying, and in all honesty, don't really disagree with most of it. Even the point on scholarships being year to year, and pretty much at the discretion of the coaches and Athletic Departments. There are so many ways to revoke a scholarship, and it's done more often than people think. Sometimes not for the right reasons.

When you look at a particular sport in a school, and say that it makes money, and should pay it's players, aren't you actually saying that every player, in every sport, at that school, should be paid? In other words, aren't you saying that only schools who generate enough income from certain sports should be able to compete in sports?

Take schools like New Mexico, and New Mexico State, as an example. To keep their football programs alive, they send their teams into the meat grinders of top NCAA DI teams, on the road, so they can take care of the needs of scholarship players. But, that money goes far beyond the football field. Whatever they can squeeze out of it, they use to keep the lights on for their women's sports, and lesser income sports. It's all become a necessity because of Title IX, which will not be overturned.

Another thing to consider. I know people who have sent their kids to college, and spent over $100,000 of their own savings to help them make it through. To get their masters degrees, without benefit of scholarships, their cost has been over $150,000, and the kids are still coming out of school over $50,000 in the hole. Doesn't the promise of a college degree, if you do things right in school, amount to being paid for your services? You pretty much get it all, including room and board.

I can't envision NCAA DI consisting of 40 colleges, maybe 80, because the others would have to quit competing because they couldn't afford to pay their athletes.
Good points.
What I would like to see is athletes having the right to their likeness to be used for endorsements and promotional opportunities. Let the free market determine the value. I don’t think a degree itself = what the schools get back. Just look what each school get from the B1G network? It’s complicated but needs to have a national discussion.

I don’t think in 10 years the NCAA will exist. The FBI probe and recent trial both will kill the organization as we know it now. The Power 5 conferences will form their own alliance. And the college playoffs are the first step.

Back