backthepack nov mock off season

Backthepack4ever

Reaction score
The packers look to be soulless at this point and I think we could be drafting in the top 10. Sometimes things get stale and need cleaning out. I will say I don't feel this roster is that bad. Some think we lack mass amounts of talent. I disagree. Sprinkle in some new schemes and coach up the talent we have with a great (see below) offseason and we are right back where we expect to be.

Front office.

Thanks for the service Ted but its time to make a move. I could see him still having a role in scouting but enjoy some time off

New GM Eliot Wolf. Very young but he has learned from the best. I could see him making moves and really being the man for a long long time.

Coaching. Again thanks Mac but its time for change also. It was a great run but I think he has lost the group. He is loyal to a fault and it has hurt us in areas. Time for a new fresh style.

New Coach. Josh McDaniels. He can make an O go and would get a bounce back out of Rodgers. He has done great things in NE with less then stellar WRs and Rbs. He is ready for another shot at HC.

Gone

Lang
Pep
D Jones
Barclay
Shields. Retire
Burnett. unless he restructures I can see him cut.

resign

Tretter
Perry
Cook 1 year deal
Lacy?? only if its a cheap 1 year deal

FA

Kevin Zeitler OG

A younger Lang with Wi ties. GIve him a solid deal. Hes easy top 10 OG

Jamaal Charles RB. Rumor is KC could cut him. For a stop gap he could come at a reasonable price like Forte did for the jets. Charles has been hurt a lot and is now over 30. Low risk High reward if he could bounce back. He could be perfect to split carries.

Draft

Round 1 Teez Tabor CB Fla

Hargreaves went at 11 this past draft and Tabor is a guy I like better. Future shutdown corner. Kid plays with fire and passion. With Shields career up in the air, we need to find a guy that we can trust on an island. here he is

Round 2 Bucky Hodges TE VT

New coach McDaniels has made athletic TEs unstoppable in his schemes, he is his newest toy. Hodges might need to polish his play but the physical tools are there. the kid would instantly add to the passing game and red zone. Cook still could help but Dick Rod doesn't bring much to the table that teams fear.

Round 3 Ethan Pocic. OL LSU

Plays Center for LSU but he could move all over the line. Future OG in the league. big nasty mauler with like 150 knock down blocks. I like our line but Barclay is not the guy I want coming in off the bench. I want a bully. Pocic is that or could even unseat someone.

Round 4 Malachi Dupre Wr LSU

Might not have great numbers but his talent is not always on display with LSU passing attack... or lack of. the kid could be a mid round find. I don't think the packers wrs are that bad. We might not have a sure fire game changer at the top but outside of 5 to 10 teams who does. our O still can/could score 35 if we get on the same page.

Round 5 Brian Hill RB Wy

Would be nice to get a shot at one of the top backs but I think we could make due with a new group all together. Starks is done. Lacy maybe a one year deal. Even if we Charles came in he isn't going to get 25 touches a game. Smooth runner with vision. I like this guys style.

round 6 Chidobe Awuuz CB Colo

might be under the radar and could climb. Kid can play. we can never have enough depth at CB.

Round 7 Derek Rivers OLB Youngstown st.
small school kid

Excellent post! Great insights! Totally agree on what it would take to get the Packers back on track. Not a complete overhaul, just upgrades where needed, and a few changes in the locker room to settle things down.

I like the idea of bringing back some Badgers, like Zietler. These guys learned how to play in the trenches, and rarely miss in the NFL. He did go to the Bengals in the first round, so what's it going to cost? Hard to say.

I have no problem with Wolf. He would listen to his Dad, and guys who came before him, not try to shoulder the load alone. That's smart management. Never put yourself on an island without people who can help you do your job better.

I'm a fan of going into DII or DIII for that 7th round pick as well. There are guys out there who just might make the team better, if coached up. Over the years, I've seen 7th round picks from small schools stick over first round picks from can't miss programs. You never know when you're going to get that special player at a real good price.

Echo what others said. Well done and like when thoughts are posted!

Think we all know there's no way to fill all holes with 1 draft and free agency. Nothing against this draft at all and always in favor of a possible Shut Down Corner as one will improve overall Defense.

Buy my concern is at pass rushers.....Peppers likely done and maybe Matthews gone as his skills have regressed, injuries, age and a big contract. Nothing really behind them so wonder how we get at least one? I saw you rolling the dice on rd 7, but this is just my own thought/question.

With the top 10 pick, would think would have a good shot at either the Corner as you picked or Pass Rusher. Again great job! ☺

I like the early mock! I follow the draft, but these days not as intensely as I used to so my mock draft skills aren't much but I might throw a couple up there - not for a few months yet.

These off-season moves and mock makes sense if indeed TT and MM are gone. Not so much if they stay. Also hinges some on the GM/coaching choice. If it's Wolf/McDaniels then this draft really does work well.

The CB in Rd 1 makes a ton of sense with Shields gone and Wolf not necessarily as tied to Randal and Rollins who were also early picks. TT might pass on the CB that early since he just used 2 high picks in 2015. Wolf won't care as much and he knows that defense these days starts with the ability to defend the pass against 3-5WR sets.

The TE early also makes a ton of sense because it's a big part of what McDaniels wants to do. Cook just adds to his options, so that's fine. Rodgers may well be asked to move on because a non-receiving threat at TE better be able to block.

I always like OL picks and Pocic makes sense even if you keep Lang for another couple of seasons. Guys get injured and having back-ups pushing the starters is also good thing.

I'd have liked a WR earlier, but you can't have everything. Dupre is a decent option in Rd 4. Has some size and athleticism so might be a nice #2 down the road. Who knows, the LSU passing offense is so mediocre that he might, as you suggest, be an underutilized gem.

Don't know if Hill is a fit as I've not seen him play or know much more than the name. Good sized back, but the N.E. offense in the past typically likes to have a receiving type back. Not sure if he fits that need. If Lacy comes back, McDaniels may have his big back and may want more of a 3rd down receiving threat. Hill has some receiving stats on his resume but this year's game logs show very few receptions. (Of course, maybe McDaniels makes Monty his full-time 3rd down back - problem solved and Hill takes on Starks role to start with?!?)

The 6th and 7th round picks are guys I don't know so won't say much other than maybe another position than CB should be addressed. With a Rd 1 stud and a couple of capable recent early picks in Randall and Rollins you would probably be OK there. Gunther is good enough to be the 4th CB.

The only off-season move I question is Tretter, and I'd do it for myself as well. I think I'd like to re-sign him, but is he enough of a priority to pay him potential big bucks. Linsley seems fine at OC and if you draft an OG you are deep enough there. Maybe Tretter could play OG, but I'm not so sure he is stout enough for that. If he's not a needed starter then I might pass and use the money somewhere else.

Thanks for all the feed back fellas. I love playing fake gm ha.

As far as pass rushers yes sir if love to take one early but I don't see a guy that would be there at 10 that a not a reach.

2 . a

If Lawson fell to the top of round 2 i would get him. Injuries aside he's the bestbpass rusher in the draft. Team leader with a motor. If healthy he's a pro bowler.

Tretter. I see him staying at center and maybe linsley playing guard??? Either way the line is strong and young don't mess with it. With injuries we got lucky to have 2starting centers.

Again thanks for all the feedback. Ill do a mock each month. You can knock or agree any talk is great

Speaking of Tretter didn't he fill in at Left Tackle last season when Bat got hurt? Seems to me he did when others failed and did OK there. If memory is correct that would make him a valuable 5th OL and one wouldn't want to lose. Also wouldn't shock me with current staff (TT) in place that both Lang and Bulaga gone opening starting positions for Tretter er at RG and Spriggs at RT.

Just a thought...

Speaking of Tretter didn't he fill in at Left Tackle last season when Bat got hurt? Seems to me he did when others failed and did OK there. If memory is correct that would make him a valuable 5th OL and one wouldn't want to lose. Also wouldn't shock me with current staff (TT) in place that both Lang and Bulaga gone opening starting positions for Tretter er at RG and Spriggs at RT.

Just a thought...
IIRC, Bulaga has at least one more year left. I have a feeling they let Lang go (TT isn't going to pay big bucks for a Guard over 30) move Bulaga into RG and start Spriggs at RT. Keep Tretter as 5th OL, keep Murphy and draft another OT. You are correct, Tretter filled in at LT and did a decent job.

Back