Another multisport star joins secondary

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Quinten Rollins, Damarious Randall and Demetri Goodson each played 2 sports in college

home

Continue reading...

For those of you that used to hang at FF here is a breakdown from Palmy who works as a scout and has a ton of player personal knowledge :

palmy50 wrote:First let me just say THANK YOU for all the mail guys!

Now, if nothing else the Packers sure as hell got a great deal better on special teams. All but the QB could show value there and the first four could grade out ACE with reps. Hell, Montgomery might have been the best special teams player in the draft. He should show ACE level grades damn near day1.

Randall: I'm not going to BS you guys. I didn't talk about Randall AT ALL in the open page(did talk about him with Kiwi in a PM) because he was LOVED by some in our room and he was our "safe" this year pending how things fell. In a round about way, when Atlanta took Beasley, the Packers had their guy fall. Randall has his flaws like all of them do but you couldn't ask for a better system fit. I'd bet the farm Capers pounded the table HARD for him. 17th on my board and I personally feel he can play both safety and CB at a high level in this fit. Kid is a fireball but he plays under control. Great feet/balance make it possible for him to play much faster than the numbers. We felt he was a FS version of Troy. I'm not sure what Capers will do with him with Morgan and HaHa in place but that's one hell of a football player right there. Brown and Randall were the only two in that tier for me at the time of the pick!

Rollins: Truth be told he's kinda Randall with less speed. Like Randall though he has great feet that help him play much faster than the numbers. We had an eye for the general mold as well and moved on from Rollins to Randall as our Round1 plan-B after the numbers came in. Outside of the legs, those two have a very close given set. Both very willing in the run game but need tech work. But have something that's very hard to teach also, Ball Skills! Randall tracks it a little better than Rollins and Rollins points it a little better than Randall but both grade elite here. Not 100% sure why you take both(even more so with Hyde around) but they are both great football players that are get-out-of-bed athletes. Paper talent has a habit of showing well for guys like that. 49 on my board, great fit/value! Would have gone day1 with those ball skills had he ran better.

Montgomery: One could make a VERY strong case Montgomery was the best ALL AROUND special teams player in the draft class. Cost himself some cash at the SR bowl(shame on his agent) where his flaws down field got exposed. This years version of the Vikes Patterson! Maybe a click below as an athlete but that's his game. I see him as fair value here at best. Hope he keeps the weight down and develops as a WR but I have my doubts. Kids top shelf with the ball in his hands. The issue is finding ways to get it there! Strong but not natural hands and the grade falls the further he gets down field. Brings something to the table while he develops but I have some real doubts about his true upside at WR. Some of his issues are no easy fix. Fingers crossed though, great kid!

Ryan: One of the better value picks in the draft this year IMO. I view him as the 30 front version of Mike Hull. Very smart football player that always comes to work! Not ideal in coverage but brings 3rd down value after starting out his college career as a DE. If not for the ACL he would have come off the board much higher in a weak draft class like this one. The strong day2 value this year even pushed him more. Great value at the time of the pick though. Flip him and Montgomery and this class would have looked better in the eyes of some. Matters not in my eyes. Sure their happy to have both. This kid is going to come in to play football though. Good luck keeping him off the field, a la Linsley last year. Football guy, their going to love him!

Hundley: What can really be said here. Kid has all the tools but he's a damn mess. If Mac can slow it down for him the rest should play. I'm here to tell you that's a big if though. I have little doubt Mac can clean up the feet, etc. Kid has a slow process though. History is not on his side. I have truth faith in this staff to get his best though and do feel Hundley was worth the pick. Just have my doubts about that young man ever being a starter in this league. Best case is that Mac can dress him up enough to make someone think he's a starter and shell out a pick or two. If not, I'm fine with a good backup at that draft slot. I always liked good legs off the bench. Sound value and excited to see what Mac can get out of him. Kid sure is a long ways off today though.....

Ripkowski: I doubt many had Ripkowski on their boards. But he was very good at what he was asked to do in college and what was asked there is very much in line with what Mac does at the position. Packers might have liked him more than most all, and I can see why.

Ringo/Backman: Both need a TON of work. Doubt either would get drafted most years. But very much so the type of high upside guys I personally love on the late board, a la Janis. Ya never know, take a shot at those guys back there. P-FA grades from me but would have liked a better look at both on the cheap.

All in all, I don't think much fell great for TT this year but he did the best with it for the most part in my eyes.

About as objective as you will find

Back