Aaron Rodgers underwent knee surgery following playoff departure, per report

Does this get back to management, then? I know (fill in a small number here) % of AR is better than most other options, but if that's what he was worth, maybe try one of the guys you pay to play in his place for a while?

Are you advocating Mike should have sat Rodgers and put Tolzien in the games last year instead?

You may be right:

League's 2015 injury report policy states: "All players with significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the report, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the team is certain that he will play in the upcoming game. This is especially true of key players and those players whose injuries have been covered extensively by the media."

"Significant or noteworthy" leaves some room to play with. The problem is, nearly everyone is injured or bruised in one way or another especially late in the season. It's seems like a normal (unwritten) code to only list a player if he's limited in practice, and then list him as full participant if he gets healthier. I looked over Packers' injury reports, and there were less than a handful instances where a player entered the injury report as a full participant.

I think we can get away with this one.

On another site this morning - I can't recall where I saw it - it was reported this knee issue is from an injury he sustained in high school and it was bothering him again. sh))

Are you advocating Mike should have sat Rodgers and put Tolzien in the games last year instead?

Yes. As stated previously, without knowing all the specifics, there's no way we can make a valid judgement. My two points here would be that resting AR might have helped and (along the lines of playing Janis) could it really have hurt? Put in the backup (particularly when the game situation is getting out of hand, either way) and see what happens; adjust from there. The Chicken Soup solution.

My impression last year was that Rodgers wasn't doing as much throwing on the run this past year as he used to, which I wonder if it had something to do with his health. It may have been partly responsible for the reduced effectiveness of Cobb who was great at getting open as Rodgers scrambled.

The question is whether we can look forward to a more healthy Rodgers in 2016, or whether he won't be quite the same player he was before the injury. sh))

I doesn't sound like it was a major injury, just a ;
Yes. As stated previously, without knowing all the specifics, there's no way we can make a valid judgement. My two points here would be that resting AR might have helped and (along the lines of playing Janis) could it really have hurt? Put in the backup (particularly when the game situation is getting out of hand, either way) and see what happens; adjust from there. The Chicken Soup solution.

Evidently the coaches felt a less than 100% Rodgers was a better option than a 100% Tolzien.

No question there. The question remaining is whether they should have. And, as long as I'm questioning management, if they were right about that, then why is the next-best option so bad?

No question there. The question remaining is whether they should have. And, as long as I'm questioning management, if they were right about that, then why is the next-best option so bad?

Because there are only a handful of franchise QBs in the league and Tolzien isn't one of them. Tell me how many teams have a backup they can make a run with. It isn't that Tolzien is that bad. It is that AR is that good.

Because there are only a handful of franchise QBs in the league and Tolzien isn't one of them. Tell me how many teams have a backup they can make a run with. It isn't that Tolzien is that bad. It is that AR is that good.

Didn't say "make a run" with, just said it might have been worth a shot to see what happens. If AR was that good this year, the question wouldn't have come up. How many bad games has Tolzien had? Would some down time have benefited AR for the end of the season? Again, just like playing Janis, nobody can realistically answer, but "couldn't hurt to try" seems valid (to me).
Didn't say "make a run" with, just said it might have been worth a shot to see what happens. If AR was that good this year, the question wouldn't have come up. How many bad games has Tolzien had? Would some down time have benefited AR for the end of the season? Again, just like playing Janis, nobody can realistically answer, but "couldn't hurt to try" seems valid.

Back